What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

How does one stuff paprika?

Several ways.

Standard is you cut off the top, remove the seeds from the inside and you put whatever you like in there (likesay mincemeat).

This receipe works a bit differently, and like I said, I used a vegetarian variant. Here I cut it in half vertically. Removed the seeds (again).

Placed the stuffing in in those halves (basically as some sort of natural plate). And put the whole stuff in the oven for 30 mins at 160° C (air circulating mode).

On second reading, I guess I figured out the confusion.

Paprika here means the vegetable itself (capsicums or sweet peppers, or whatever you call them in the brit. cuisine.).

Edit: Bell pepper apparently. xd

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Several ways.

Standard is you cut off the top, remove the seeds from the inside and you put whatever you like in there (likesay mincemeat).

This receipe works a bit differently, and like I said, I used a vegetarian variant. Here I cut it in half vertically. Removed the seeds (again).

Placed the stuffing in in those halves (basically as some sort of natural plate). And put the whole stuff in the oven for 30 mins at 160° C (air circulating mode).

On second reading, I guess I figured out the confusion.

Paprika here means the vegetable itself (capsicums or sweet peppers, or whatever you call them in the brit. cuisine.).

Edit: Bell pepper apparently. xd

There lay my confusion, thanks for clearing it up! I do stuffed peppers quite often too, like the sound of a tomato curry though!

Tomato curry is overselling it.

But receipe is quite simple if you want to try it.

INgredients (in metrical system g=gramm, if you want to go imperial do the calculation yourself).

150g tomatoes

200g Zucchini (so one basically)

2 red bell peppers

2 red onions

1 garlic clove

100 g yellow lentils

salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon dried chilli peppers

1-2 bay leaves

pepper

1 tablespoon curry powder

1 tea spoon honey

1 table spoon white balsamic vinegar

200 g feta (so what you can get from the supermarket)

Now to the cooking part.

1. Clean the vegetbales. Tomatoes, and the Zucchini are to be cut in cubes. slice the onion into rings. chop the garlic (I hope that's right verb). Cut the bell peppers in half vertically (as mentoned above)

Boil the lensils 5-6 mins in water. drain (?) the lensils and salt them.

2. sweat the onions and the garlic in hot olive oil. once hte onions are translucent, add the tomatoes, chili and bay leaves. Add salt and pepper. Let it simmer for about 5 mins. season it with the curry powder, honey, and balsamico.

3. the feta. crumble it. Mix half the feta with lensils and the tomatoe ragout. Add salt and pepper to your liking (personally I don't think it needs much as the dried chilies and hte curry powder add sufficient flavour). Fill the bell peppers with it. Put the bell peppers in a greased ofen-save (d'uuuh) oven dish. 30 mins at 160° C (air circulation; otherwise 180° C). Drop the remaining feta on top of it.

4. Eat and have fun.

Receipe is sufficient for 2-3 people. If you are cooking for one. Half the amount will do.

Edit. Before I forget it, @HelenaExMachina or other who try to cook that one. You want to crush the dried chilli peppers and not throw them in as a whole. If you throw them in as a whole, the flavour is not spread out that evenly,a dn you can get some extremely flavoured bites, and some not so flavoured bites.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

you beat me too it.

@A Horse Named Stranger if the vegetable is called paprika, what is the spice called?

Paprika powder (unless that is someting totally different again in the English language). Anyway, if the spice is meant receipes usually say Paprikapulver (paprika powder), with a further specification - Edelsüß (sweet) and Rosenscharf (hot).

I must admit, I don't even know if I have the sweet variant somewhere stowed away in the kitchen, as I usually just use the hot variant anyway (and usually add chillies in some shape or form).

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Paprika powder (unless that is someting totally different again in the English language). Anyway, if the spice is meant receipes usually say Paprikapulver (paprika powder), with a further specification - Edelsüß (sweet) and Rosenscharf (hot).

I must admit, I don't even know if I have the sweet variant somewhere stowed away in the kitchen, as I usually just use the hot variant anyway (and usually add chillies in some shape or form).

Is smoked paprika available? Have to say it's one of my go to spices personally

I keep both paprika and smoked paprika on hand, but to be honest, even in large quantities I can't really tell the regular paprika is there. I mostly use it for color and because I feel like I "should."

2 hours ago, Inigima said:

I keep both paprika and smoked paprika on hand, but to be honest, even in large quantities I can't really tell the regular paprika is there. I mostly use it for color and because I feel like I "should."

That is why i use smoked, i feel i can actually taste it.

Archived