What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

I had a leftover russet potato and most of an onion from cooking burgers and fries the other night (garlic rosemary baked fries, they were amazing) so I decided to do breakfast potatoes and eggs for dinner. For whatever reason though, I have always been really, really bad at cooking scrambled eggs the normal way (in a skillet, scraping the eggs toward the center with a spatula). I use the Gordon Ramsay method and that always works out pretty well, but since I was going to be doing the potatoes and onions in a frying pan and I didn't want to have to wash two different pots I decided to try the normal method. 

Fucked them up as always. Burnt and tasted weird as a result. What sorcery must I employ to make this work properly? 

Potatoes were good though. 

I bought Chrissy Teigen's cookbook a while ago, mostly because she was making fun of Richard Spencer on Twitter, but hadn't actually made anything from it. Last night we made her chipotle chicken, using canned chipotles in adobo. Really good, maybe a little too sweet -- I'd probably leave out the honey next time -- but really good.

Made meatloaf, mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus for dinner tonight. First time I've attempted meatloaf and first time cooking asparagus. The veg and potatoes came out awesome, but the meatloaf was a little too wet and kinda fell apart a little bit. Tasted good though. I used this method that involves soaking the breadcrumbs in milk before adding them to the mix. I think I'll skip that if I do this again. 

I went to Bonefish Grill with some family members to celebrate my 26th birthday. For appetizers, we had bang bang shrimp. For the main course I had Alaskan Cod Fish and Chips with tartar sauce and ketchup. For dessert I had a slice of cheesecake with caramel and chocolate sauce.

So, worlds best restaurants list just came out. Having eaten at 3 of them (Dinner, Lyles and the Clove Club) i have no idea how the score is reached to be honest.  The ones i've eaten at were no better or worse than any other restaurants. 

i think it is more of a popularity contest than anything else. 

http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners#t51-100

On 4/8/2017 at 4:21 AM, BigFatCoward said:

So, worlds best restaurants list just came out. Having eaten at 3 of them (Dinner, Lyles and the Clove Club) i have no idea how the score is reached to be honest.  The ones i've eaten at were no better or worse than any other restaurants. 

i think it is more of a popularity contest than anything else. 

http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners#t51-100

I read the list. and have dined at the number one. it was a sublime meal certainly.  food,  service,  ambiance were all perfectly executed.

but was it better than the other 3 or even 2 or a couple 1 michelin star meals I have had? not really. 

I am not sure how the list is compiled.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Grilled a tri-tip last night.  Used a coffee rub and ended up probably being the best tri tip I've ever prepared.  Looking forward to eating the sandwich I made with leftovers at lunch an hour from now.

i am very intrigued by this and looking forward to playing with this idea

10 minutes ago, commiedore said:

i am very intrigued by this and looking forward to playing with this idea

The rub was :

• 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
  • 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 ½ tablespoons granulated garlic
  • 1 heaping teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon

11 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Grilled a tri-tip last night.  Used a coffee rub and ended up probably being the best tri tip I've ever prepared.  Looking forward to eating the sandwich I made with leftovers at lunch an hour from now.

What's better than leftover steak sammich? I would stab a hobo in the face for leftover steak sammich.

Just now, larrytheimp said:

The rub was :

• 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
  • 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 ½ tablespoons granulated garlic
  • 1 heaping teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon

hell yrwah dude, thanks!

Simple, hardy, and really good. I cooked two ribeye's on the stove. Just salt, pepper, and olive oil to fry. Then some pretty basic mashed potatoes with copious amounts of butter. I did cook the potatoes in the same pan as the steaks and added a little water to get a sort of gravy thing going in the pan. Tasty and super easy.

Archived