Books That Make You Cry

siyxx

I saw a thread where they discuss about movies that are a total tearjerker. What about books? What literary works left you cry yourself to sleep at night? Let's share the experience!

Since I was a total crybaby when it comes to either cinematic or literary experience, well I've got long list so I'll come up with just the recent ones:

- The Broken Wings / Kahlil Gibran
- The Diving Bell and The Butterfly / Jean-Dominique Bauby
- The Illusion of Separateness / Simon Van Booy
- Tell the Wolves I'm Home / Carol Rifka Brunt 
- A Man Called Ove / Fredrik Backman
- We Are All Made of Stars / Rowan Coleman  

However, in contrast to probably half of the world, my eyes were perfectly dry while reading The Fault in Our Stars, The Notebook, and Me Before You. So yeah. 

yeah, all the time.  recently the second part of lahiri's unaccustomed earth.  graham greene's end of the affair is a good candidate for most saddest ever.

more basically, always othello.  always to the lighthouse.  dante. marlowe's faustus.  lots in milton. certain scenes in dracula. mary shelley. heart is a lonely hunter

oddly, i can't recall anything particularly lachrymose in pynchon or delillo.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

oddly, i can't recall anything particularly lachrymose in pynchon or delillo.

The Wheeler family thinking about each other while separated got the tear ducts going for me a bit, but I agree that DeLillo doesn't really have a handle on that plumbing.

Wodehouse makes me cry from laughing.  

One Hundred Years of Solitude is a pretty reliable cry.

Faulkner's Wild Palms.

Baldwin's Sonny's Blues, Everytime.

Can we count poetry?  Most of the American Romantic poets, E. Dickinson, W.C. Bryant, Whitman, they bring the goods.  Other side of the pond, Wordsworth.  

Barbara Kingsolver got me a couple of times.

Cynthia Voight has some tearjerkers in the Kingdom series.

Not much of a crier (see the thread in Entertainment regarding Pixar's bizarre ability to tear me up, while very little else does). But Nighteyes, yep. I've grown pretty thoroughly tired of reading about Fitz screw stuff up, then suffer because of it, then fix it, but boy is Hobb able to create characters that tug our emotional cords. Malazan got me a bit verklempt once or twice. When I was a boy, A Bridge to Terabithia, a few moments in Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time series, and a sad moment in The Westing Game (my favorite book until I found LotR and fantasy in general).

I cry pretty easily these days, but these are books that I remember made me cry:
-The Book Thief
-More Happy than Not (and more than the others too, some extremely sad parts)
-A number of Hobb books
-Blade of Tyshalle, don't really remember why
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower
And the Red Wedding too.

Archived