New capital of the Seven Kingdoms

pdimmy

2 hours ago, devilish said:

1- A King doesn't need a city to live in. If the Lannisters can become filthy rich by living in a fortress and away from the trade routes then so can Aegon. Dont forget that Westeros is a continent by itself and trading is still rudimentary (no fast ships, no trains, no planes). We're talking about the equivalent of medieval Europe here not North Korea in 2016.

2- That's irrelevant. Westeros biggest threat always came from Essos. The First men, the Andals, the Targs. Essos is independent, its wealthy, its powerful and they haven't bent the knee to the Targs and never will. They also have more experience with dragons than anybody else. If a surprise attack ever occurs than the Targs would be better off out of sight, possibly in a place were they can regroup and with enough human/financial resources at hand to devise an effective plan. The Westerlands provides that security.

3- I gave you the origins of London, why it was founded and why it grew to the city it was. The UK dominated history after the medieval times (ie the British empire) but prior to that it had hardly any prominence. The Romans saw it as a cost centre, the backdrop of their empire. In medieval times the English crown was plagued into civil war and rebellions. Occasionally they will gain fertile lands in a fragmented France but they were kicked back once France got united. You can't compare a relatively small nation with poor land and an insignificant population to a rich and diverse continent. 

4- I wish to see the Ironborn trying to sack the Crownlands (Westerlands) with dragons watching across the sea and Aegon being able to call the entire Westerosi force to war against them. The Westerlands (whose heavily fortified) will provide a safe place were dragons can sleep on land (ie when they are vulnerable) and its fortifications makes it difficult for the ironborn to make any sort of conquest on land. If needs be Aegon can go there and wipe those islands clean. No one will miss them.

5- Aegon could take the Westerlands (ie gold) and part of the Reach (ie fertile fields). Let other Lords make money by trading with Essos, which as said is hardly crucial as Westeros is a continent by itself

1. King means court means services means inevitably a big city. After all... King's Landing rose pretty quickly around Aegon's forts. Half a million cityu in 300 years in medieval times? Not bad. Trading is as rudimentary as there was before steam engine - ie pretty active. Heck, nowadays nobody gets insanely rich by importing silks from China... So yes, I am talking about the equivalent of Madieval Europe. There is a reason port cities were real power, bigger than inland trading cities (unless located really well - cue in Paris or large German cities, but even there it was the Hanseatic cities which remained independent) and much more than gold- and silver-mining cities. Everyone who wants to bui rare spices etc. has to go through port cities or through major inland trading hubs, while gold always has multiple sources.

2. And England's biggest threat always came from East. Well, at least since Roman invasion. In few centuries, not three times over 8000 years.

3. You omitted several centuries when London was an abandoned ghost town - and the reasons you gave ceased to apply once Rome has fallen. Yet the city became capital very soon after the Danes were driven out once and for all. Why? Becaus of central position (on border of 3 kingdoms - Wessex, Mercia and East Anglia) and because of lively trade.

4. Then you get Dornish sacking the Eastern seaboard :) Though it is true there won't be so much to raid (on the other hand on the sea... All trade to your capital will have to pass the loooong Dornish coast). Dragons also are not all-powerful. And any capital in the Westerlands would still have, defensively, the same downsides you attribute to the King's Landing.

5. Getting lords on board is quite important if you do not get constant rebellions. Especially once Dornish show how to kill a dragon. You seem to constantly underestimate the huge role trade played in Medieval (or even ancient) Europe - and contraryo to Europe, ALL trade to Westeros has to go by ship (and on the other hand in a direct lien across the Narrow Sea - pretty safe and short route as compared to, say, Portugal-India or trans-Atlantic).

The current location of King's Landing is a good choice.  I expect Queen Daenerys will have control of many regions in Essos.  She can increase trade across the Narrow Sea.  It looks like the slaves of Volantis will revolt and overthrow their sadistic masters.  These former slaves worship Dany.  I can see an increase in commerce.  Important when you consider that winter will decrease the amount of food that can be grown in Westeros.  They will need to bring in food from Essos.  And I would name the new capital city "Queen's Landing".

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this isn't considered to be necromancy but this topic interested me.

I would personally put my capital on the Arbor. It's separated from the mainland, guaranteeing that any invasion force would need a good navy to take it. It has the potential to create the greatest navy in Westeros, effectively being able to fend off any navy that tries to take it. It is home to the best wine in all the known world, that implies that it has some incredibly fertile soil that can create bountiful harvests and is a busy center for trade as the sweet Arbor nectar would probably a hot item in many ports. Finally, it's rather large, hold a large population, and is close to the more prosperous regions of Westeros.

The only con I see would be that you are closer to the Ironborn and could see raids from them if they were bold to do so.

To the OP .... I think if you rebuilt KL and renamed it Queen's Landing or something it may have a different vibe....but still the best port.  You would just populate the area/towns around it like they did initially whilst doing so.  But for funs sake.... maybe...Harrenhal LOL.... just coz haha

I believe the new captial will be built on the Isle of Faces or beside the gods eye from the stones of Harrenhal. It makes sense just from a story perspective and it is a good spot. It has access to blackwater rush and by that the narrow sea and it is in the middle of westeros so it has prettty much optimal trade routes. If it is built on the Isle of Faces it would be very very hard to capture and it would be a huge city because of the large amount of stone supply from Harrenhal. 

1 minute ago, Knight of valour said:

I believe the new captial will be built on the Isle of Faces or beside the gods eye from the stones of Harrenhal. It makes sense just from a story perspective and it is a good spot. It has access to blackwater rush and by that the narrow sea and it is in the middle of westeros so it has prettty much optimal trade routes. If it is built on the Isle of Faces it would be very very hard to capture and it would be a huge city because of the large amount of stone supply from Harrenhal. 

I like your thinking, but it is so sacred, there is no way it could happen

Archived