GoT's Richard Madden Starring in Amazon's 'Strange New Things'

AncalagonTheBlack

Good for Rob!! I definitely enjoyed the book,so am looking forward to this.

Game of ThronesRichard Madden has been tapped to star Amazon’s upcoming sci-fi drama pilot based on Michel Faber’s cult hit book The Book of Strange New Things.

The project follows Peter (Madden), a priest, who is sent into space to help found a new colony but what he ends up discovering not only puts his faith to the test but life as we know it.

Matt Charman (Bridge of Spies) is writing and Andy Harries (Strike Back) and Lila Rawlings (Left Bank Productions) are producing with Kevin MacDonald (The Last King of Scotland) directing. The hourlong pilot is an Amazon Studios and Left Bank Productions co-production.

http://deadline.com/2016/09/richard-madden-star-in-strange-new-things-amazon-pilot-game-of-thrones-1201816204/

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I strongly suspect they're going to want to change the title at some stage.

Yeah... Like this, it sounds like the second season of "Stranger things" :D

I am glad for Richard... BTW, has anyone seen him and Lily James as Romeo and Juliet at West End? 

I clicked on this link thinking, 'hmm, not sure it's a great idea to create a new show with that title...' but wowsers, this is awesome. I loved the book and would really like to see an adaptation of it. However, I will remain to be convinced that Madden can carry off such a big role. That character is the central pin and he's in every scene pretty much. We'll see I guess.

Welp, there goes my James Bond fancast. Guess Sony's gonna have to pay Daniel Craig $150 million to look like he ate a lemon onscreen again.

Anyway, I absolutely loved this book (even tho I thought a few parts were uncomfortably and randomly racist) and the main character is quite a meaty role, so good for Madden. 

Also, they're totally going to rename this "Oasis", mark my words. 

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I have nothing particularly against Richard Madden but James Bond? Really?

It's not like it's a super challenging role. Besides, who else could they cast, since they clearly won't go with the obvious choice (Idris Elba) and Tom Hiddleston lost his chance when he wore a "I <3 Taylor Swift" shirt and they'd have to pay Daniel Craig a small fortune just to stand there looking miserable? 

9 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

who else could they cast

Quite a few people really. It's not that it's a challenging role particularly, but it requires a certain sort of vibe and Madden doesn't chuck himself to the forefront of the mind as being particularly Bond-y.

Heck, if we're talking fashionable, pretty young-ish things I'd sooner see Jamie Dornan.

The lead from Outlander always strikes me as Madden-like in appearance but seems a lot more skilled - so I tend to always think "he'd do a better job" whenever Madden is mentioned in wish-lists for things.That said Madden played quite a different character in a channel 4 show about paramedics. I didn't like the show but he wasn't a reason why i disliked it.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Quite a few people really. It's not that it's a challenging role particularly, but it requires a certain sort of vibe and Madden doesn't chuck himself to the forefront of the mind as being particularly Bond-y.

Heck, if we're talking fashionable, pretty young-ish things I'd sooner see Jamie Dornan.

Not until he's done with "the fall". It baffles me about the criticism Dorman got for "50 shades" when he's excellent in "the fall". I guess he may have decided to phone it in or some stories are so inherently bad even the actors suffer from being in it.

As for the Bond comments - I thought Loki as Bond was one of the most riduculous ideas I've heard but I'm now luke-warm to it. Lesson here is that I'm open to casting for Bond - that or I've become so apathetic towards the Bond franchise I don't care who they cast.

I also add to the fact that I also thought this was a thread for Stranger Things. They definitely need a name change.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

This is what Daniel Craig looked like when he was the same age as Madden is now. State of it.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Please... Of all the young talented men that have come out of UK in the last ten years, he is the least interesting, not to mention the least talented. In comparison to him, even Kit Harington looks like an acting legend.

As for Bond, I have to say I was always inclining towards Cavill or Fassbender. Idris Elba would be a great choice too. Just not Cumberbatch. I feel as one day he will come out of my ass. He is literally everywhere. Hiddleston would have been amazing but boy that shirt destroyed his image in a second. He needs to be in something, very soon, to make us all forget that. Aiden Turner would be OKish. I really liked him in BBC's miniseries "And Then There Were None". Tom Hardy, perhaps... I can't think of anyone else...

36 minutes ago, red snow said:

The lead from Outlander always strikes me as Madden-like in appearance but seems a lot more skilled - so I tend to always think "he'd do a better job" whenever Madden is mentioned in wish-lists for things.That said Madden played quite a different character in a channel 4 show about paramedics. I didn't like the show but he wasn't a reason why i disliked it.

Sam Heughan is indeed a talented actor, but I don't get the same vibe from the two of them. I mean, I wouldn't be exchanging one for another as I see them much differently. Richard is on one side with IDK, Charlie Cox, Sam Clafflin and Ben Barnes, while Sam is on the other side of spectrum with Cavill and Hardy. Simply, two different energies.

39 minutes ago, red snow said:

Not until he's done with "the fall". It baffles me about the criticism Dorman got for "50 shades" when he's excellent in "the fall". I guess he may have decided to phone it in or some stories are so inherently bad even the actors suffer from being in it.

I am sorry, but he was terrible, like really terrible in 50 shades. Both of them reached new levels of sucking at what they do for living. That said, I have heard that the both of them are actually quite good in other projects. But until I see it (and I have seen how terrible Dornan was in OUAT), I stick to my opinion that he is one of the least talented persons I have ever had the displeasure of watching on big screen.

8 hours ago, Risto said:

I am sorry, but he was terrible, like really terrible in 50 shades. Both of them reached new levels of sucking at what they do for living. That said, I have heard that the both of them are actually quite good in other projects. But until I see it (and I have seen how terrible Dornan was in OUAT), I stick to my opinion that he is one of the least talented persons I have ever had the displeasure of watching on big screen.

No need to apologise, I've never seen 50 shades (most likely never will) but he is excellent in "the fall".

I also prefer Charlie Cox over Henry Cavill in any situation other than Cavill looks more like Superman than Cox.

Archived