U.S. Elections 2016: It's Not A Lie, If YOU Believe It

Jace, Extat

13 minutes ago, sperry said:

Who is going to not vote for Hillary Clinton because of her health?  I understand that Trump is going to attack her on this, and get his troops foaming at the mouth about it, but honestly how does this affect anything at all?

At this point the polls are just paper pushing.  I find it impossible to believe that there are any significant number of voters out there who are torn between Trump or Clinton.

The goal would be keeping potential Clinton voters from the polls.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

The goal would be keeping potential Clinton voters from the polls.

How does one rationalize this happening though? What thought process leads to "Hillary is unhealthy, so I'm not going to vote for anyone"?

That's just not a realistic scenario.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

How does one rationalize this happening though? What thought process leads to "Hillary is unhealthy, so I'm not going to vote for anyone"?

That's just not a realistic scenario.

I'm not sure what you mean. This is what campaigning is all about for the most part, especially in a very divisive political climate such as what exists in the US.  You're unlikely to swing votes, even those who are supposedly independent.  The goal is to get out as many votes in your favor while working to keep your opponent from getting votes.  

8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm not sure what you mean. This is what campaigning is all about for the most part, especially in a very divisive political climate such as what exists in the US.  You're unlikely to swing votes, even those who are supposedly independent.  The goal is to get out as many votes in your favor while working to keep your opponent from getting votes.  

How does Hillary's health convince people who would support her from not voting?

Some things I understand. If you convince the public Hillary endangered national security with the email nonsense,  then you may be able to convince people not to vote for her. The health thing just seems like a non-starter, and only serves to get the trump core riled up. But they were already going to vote, and going to vote for Trump.

Just now, sperry said:

How does Hillary's health convince people who would support her from not voting?

I said "potential Hillary voters"  not "certain supporters".  Both candidates are generally disliked.  Certain supporters don't need convincing and would unlikely to be swayed by many things to keep them from voting for their desired candidate.  Potential voters not so much.  They are the sort who need to be convinced to get to the polls.  

The health of a president tends to be pretty serious business for obvious reasons.  Can they physically stand up to the taxing demands of the job?  Will they keel over sometime during office?  Will their mental health allow them to make good decisions.  If people have cause to think that Hillary's health would prevent her from leading in an effective way, those potential supporters could easily be swayed to think "what's the point."  It would be Hillary campaign's job to remind them why Trump is worse than an ill Hillary.  

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

It's certainly bad optics and as far as limiting her schedule. The timing could have been far worse, however. She's now likely to still make the debates. Still, very weird election. It's a frightening reminder how we are one bad stroke of luck from being ruled by an authoritarian bigot.

The more I read about the timeline, it's really bad optics. Her campaign has said it was the heat, it was just allergies, etc, etc. That's just a bald faced lie. On top of that, she's been out campaigning and shaking hands, doing meet and greets and the like. That shit can be contagious. 

/And this makes The Cheeto look good. He was right for once. Jesus.

@sperry, it feels like there are a lot of people, however much they may hate trump, looking for an excuse not to vote for Clinton. That may sound incredibly irrational (I know!) but that's the American public for you. This may or may not sway a small section of the electorate, but considering the already abysmal turnout in this country, the stakes involved, any potential for tightening polling numbers will be cause for concern (amongst ostensibly anti-trump/pro-Hillary voters)

1 hour ago, Red Hermit said:

Another one of the deplorables Trump has brought out of the woodwork attacks muslim women while they are pushing their children in strollers:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/crazed-trumper-assaults-muslim-women-in-brooklyn

God I can't wait for these Drumpf people to crawl back to their swamps like the literal vermin they are. 

The only way I can see this pneumonia thing seriously affecting Hillary is if she gets a severe coughing fit during the debate.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The more I read about the timeline, it's really bad optics. Her campaign has said it was the heat, it was just allergies, etc, etc. That's just a bald faced lie. On top of that, she's been out campaigning and shaking hands, doing meet and greets and the like. That shit can be contagious. 

/And this makes The Cheeto look good. He was right for once. Jesus.

Right. The issue is not so much that she is sick, but that for some reason her campaign felt the need to lie about it up until the point where video evidence and her deteriorating condition made it impossible to plausibly do so. They'd be much better off if they simply said that she has pneumonia when they first learned of it on Friday.

3 hours ago, Red Hermit said:

Another one of the deplorables Trump has brought out of the woodwork attacks muslim women while they are pushing their children in strollers:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/crazed-trumper-assaults-muslim-women-in-brooklyn

wow, one crazy Trump supporter. Means all Trump supporters are violent.

Are all liberals violent against Trump supporters and hate veterans? Yes.

source: http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/184557004-story

I think a candidate's health is really only an issue if one of two things applies:

(1) Their VP candidate is worrying. Thus John McCain in 2008 - the prospect of Sarah Palin taking over mid-term might have scared some people into Obama's camp.

(2) They appear unable to handle a crisis. The precedent here is Reagan's first debate performance in 1984, where people ended up raising (in hindsight, justified) questions about his mental health. Of course, he recovered in the second debate, but a repeat performance might well have allowed Mondale to make it a close election ("we need a President with all his faculties!"). 

Since no-one is particularly terrified of Tim Kaine, it's the second scenario that applies here. At least the Reagan example shows that it isn't fatal to a campaign, but I think Hillary does need to address it. 

10 hours ago, sperry said:

Who is going to not vote for Hillary Clinton because of her health?  I understand that Trump is going to attack her on this, and get his troops foaming at the mouth about it, but honestly how does this affect anything at all?

At this point the polls are just paper pushing.  I find it impossible to believe that there are any significant number of voters out there who are torn between Trump or Clinton.

Significant numbers of voters are having difficulty deciding which of the two they loathe most.

10 hours ago, sperry said:

There are about 15-20% undecideds out there, substantially more than in any other cycle at this point. And no one knows which way they will break.

I have every confidence the Clinton campaign will mess up the response to this health thing. Not sure if they realize this isn't the time to dissemble.

9 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Significant numbers of voters are having difficulty deciding which of the two they loathe most.

That has been my experience. Most people I speak with either admit we are down to two bad choices or they are self righteous in their support of one or the other candidate. It seems like the self righteous folks are most comfortable simplistically lumping their supposed enemies into a single category.  Hillary people just assume half the country are racist and Trump supporters assume half the country hates America and wants to let Muslims take over.

The reality is that we have a bunch of shitty politicians that only care about issues that line their own pockets with money. Some people choose to put their hope in the existing infrastructure through Hillary with the belief that things may change for the better. Others see Trump as an opportunity to change the dynamic and truly take down the political elites. Neither view is wrong, neither path is certain and no one that takes either position is evil or uncaring.

14 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

There are about 15-20% undecideds out there, substantially more than in any other cycle at this point. And no one knows which way they will break.

I have every confidence the Clinton campaign will mess up the response to this health thing. Not sure if they realize this isn't the time to dissemble.

Haven't they already done that? But I'm not sure if they put out the claim of overheating or if the media did.  

Archived