Vice Principals HBO

akh

Is any one watching this?

I think it's quite good. It has it's weak points, but at its best its really fun.

I don't really remember the last time a new comedy show has so positively surprised me.

They crafted a pretty tough dilemma for the socially moronic Neil Gamby in the last episode. I feel they went a bit over-board with Belinda's drunken rampage, and even though they built up to it nicely, I think she went back to the drink a little suddenly.

I never really bought the criticism of this show. TV critics gave this a mediocre show on the basis that this was a show about two white guys going after a black woman's job - what does that have to do with the show's quality ? Many TV comedies now a days deal with problematic stuff. Also it's not like the show glorifies them. 

Having said that - it is a pretty mediocre show. Quality wise, feels like eastbound and down lite. Walton Goggins shows his comedy chops though. But at this point is it any surprise that this man is the best ? This is Shane Fing Wendrell, Boyd Fing Crowder we are talking about. That he isn't swimming in awards is a shame  

11 hours ago, The Lone Rider said:

I never really bought the criticism of this show. TV critics gave this a mediocre show on the basis that this was a show about two white guys going after a black woman's job - what does that have to do with the show's quality ? Many TV comedies now a days deal with problematic stuff. Also it's not like the show glorifies them. 

Having said that - it is a pretty mediocre show. Quality wise, feels like eastbound and down lite. Walton Goggins shows his comedy chops though. But at this point is it any surprise that this man is the best ? This is Shane Fing Wendrell, Boyd Fing Crowder we are talking about. That he isn't swimming in awards is a shame 

:agree:

One of the best actors working imo. Loved him in Hateful 8 as well. 

The drunk Dr. Brown stuff might have been over the top, but it had me dying. Russell following her around with the pen camera was hilarious. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

:agree:

One of the best actors working imo. Loved him in Hateful 8 as well. 

The drunk Dr. Brown stuff might have been over the top, but it had me dying. Russell following her around with the pen camera was hilarious. :lol:

So which of his performances did you like more ? Shane or Boyd ? I never can seem to make up my mind on this. What i like about him is his subtlety in acting - he uses sighs, body posture and his eyes to convey everything. My favorite bit of his acting was in the shield when Vic is interrogating the hitman shane sent after Ronnie. Walton shows utter defeat in one single gesture when he just closes his eyes and sighs when the hitman breaks down and confesses. 

Yeah, Goggins is amazing in this. His facial expressions alone are worth the price of HBO for a year. No ... two years.

McBride is fun too, but the writing here isn't as consistent/solid as it was in Eastbound and Down, so there are more scenes which are misfires for him in VP than when he's been at his best in the past.

19 minutes ago, The Lone Rider said:

So which of his performances did you like more ? Shane or Boyd ? I never can seem to make up my mind on this. What i like about him is his subtlety in acting - he uses sighs, body posture and his eyes to convey everything. My favorite bit of his acting was in the shield when Vic is interrogating the hitman shane sent after Ronnie. Walton shows utter defeat in one single gesture when he just closes his eyes and sighs when the hitman breaks down and confesses. 

Gods, that's a tough question. If forced to pick I might have to go with Boyd. Just pure swagger. Also, some of the best dialogue I've seen on a tv show (not named Deadwood) was written for Boyd on Justified, imo. 

Hard to watch them blackmail Brown but Goggins was delightful in that scene. Thought for sure one or both of them was going to get arrested to close the episode so that ending came out of left field for sure. 

Overall I really enjoyed the season, excited to see the direction the show goes next.

Agreed, Goggins owns.

That ending was quite a surprise. Looking back, though hard-core, I suppose it's a reasonably believable response considering what they did. When they had an 8 minute build-up of happiness and victory for gamby and russell, I figured something was gonna go awry, but this was quite the ending.

4 hours ago, Leofric said:

I would not be surprised if it is Russell, I don't see him wanting to share power as Co-Principal.    If it was just the cars being torched, I'd go with Dr. Brown venting.

Didn't they show Russell on the phone talking to him though?  I didn't think there was enough time for him to get out of the school and do that. 

I still don't get why there wasn't a stalemate once Brown knew Gamby and Russell were guilty of arson, a crime which would land them both massive jail time. Surely that knowledge outweighs even Brown going off while ess-faced, so she has even more on them than they have on her if anything.

I guess it can be extrapolated that the the idea is that even though their crime is orders or magnitude worse than hers, she has no proof while they have a niftily edited highlights package of her gin-soaked debaucherousness.

• 9 months later...

Archived