Star Wars Rogue One: Now With Less Rouge

Myrddin

3 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

I liked it a lot. Probably an 8.5 or 9 overall. I think it's a film in the Star Wars Universe rather than a Star Wars film, and I'm okay with that. I wouldn't want every SW film to be like that, but it's a great opportunity to see how the other side lives as it were.

It actually almost felt like a feature length, somewhat more adult episode of SW Rebels to me, and not just because of the Easter Eggs.

Which easter eggs?

Ones I saw:

ponda baba and dr Everson, r2 &3po, was ghost from rebels and any rebels characters there? I didn't see em. Def need a rewatch

1 hour ago, Jedi Renee said:

Which easter eggs?

Ones I saw:

Hide contents

ponda baba and dr Everson, r2 &3po, was ghost from rebels and any rebels characters there? I didn't see em. Def need a rewatch

Hide contents

Firstly, when they're on Yavin there's a call over the PA system for General Syndulla, it's hard to say whether it's intended that that's Cham or Hera, but Hera seems a better fit to me. a) She has a more formal role in the Alliance and b ) she's a more major character generally. 

Secondly, I didn't actually catch it during this viewing, but in one of the more recent trailers there's a VCX-100 i.e. looks exactly like The Ghost, in the battle above Scarif.

Thirdly, the Hammerhead cruisers that they use to bring down the Star Destroyers were first introduced in Rebels, IIRC. The original design inspiration is from KotoR though.

1 hour ago, ab aeterno said:

Hide contents

Firstly, when they're on Yavin there's a call over the PA system for General Syndulla, it's hard to say whether it's intended that that's Cham or Hera, but Hera seems a better fit to me. a) She has a more formal role in the Alliance and b ) she's a more major character generally. 

Secondly, I didn't actually catch it during this viewing, but in one of the more recent trailers there's a VCX-100 i.e. looks exactly like The Ghost, in the battle above Scarif.

Thirdly, the Hammerhead cruisers that they use to bring down the Star Destroyers were first introduced in Rebels, IIRC. The original design inspiration is from KotoR though.

Nice thanks

I'd give it a 7/10 but I don't know, it's just not a film I would enjoy sitting through if I wasn't a Star Wars fan. I am of course a Star Wars fan so I did enjoy it but it was really light on plot/character development (aside from Jyn and Cassian). Also, the only characters I cared about were Jyn and K2 (who is now my new favorite droid). I guess I was just expecting a film that would have been able to stand on its own merits outside of the Star Wars franchise based on the reviews I read but this film really doesn't really do that imo. (Though some of the reviews I read said it was good as Empire -- and while I didn't actually expect it to be that good it did significantly raise my expectations so that may be a factor.)

Oh, and a random thought that occurred to me on the way home. I think Joss Whedeon should direct the Han Solo movie. Given his work with Firefly it just seems thematically and stylistically appropriate. :)

Not that anyone cares, but here's my personal ranking of the Star Wars films after Rogue.

1. Empire

2. Jedi

3. Force Awakens 

4. New Hope 

5. Rogue One

6. Sith

7. Clones

8. Phantom Menace 

An interesting development to keep an eye out for. I've watched all three OT movies on TV today as part of running screenings to coincide with Rogue One. What's interesting? No Fox fanfare. TFA never had it, but previously I've always seen the fanfare on the OT movies whenever they were shown on TV, including earlier this year.

Pretty disappointed with this film.

More in the spoilers thread, but briefly, what did not work for me at all was the bland lead cast.

Did not care for the Jyn Erso character, or Cassian. Rest of the characters were "ok" at best.

I'm not sure that is the entire reason this film feels cold and heartless. There may be other factors.

I liked the visuals. I also think it felt like a Star Wars film, even though it was supposed to be more of war movie.

But all in all, very little, if anything, had a wow factor in this film. 7 out of 10 ( for reference, I had The Force Awakens at 8.5 out of 10).

I saw it last night.  I saw it in IMAX so that meant 3D.   (I don't like 3D and try to avoid if I can but wanted to see it in IMAX)

This is not a spoiler.

I found lots of the film to be blurry.   the quality of the 3D was mostly shite, and not up to standard.

The other people I was with also thought it was blurry.

I know other people who saw it in normal 3D at a different cinema and felt the same way.

It was like only one small part of the screen was in focus at a time, and only if they where not moving.

I strongly recommend seeing the film in 2D even if you are a 3D fan.  I do not know if the 2D is also blurred, but I suspect not.

8 hours ago, Pebbles said:

I saw it last night.  I saw it in IMAX so that meant 3D.   (I don't like 3D and try to avoid if I can but wanted to see it in IMAX)

This is not a spoiler.

I found lots of the film to be blurry.   the quality of the 3D was mostly shite, and not up to standard.

The other people I was with also thought it was blurry.

I know other people who saw it in normal 3D at a different cinema and felt the same way.

It was like only one small part of the screen was in focus at a time, and only if they where not moving.

I strongly recommend seeing the film in 2D even if you are a 3D fan.  I do not know if the 2D is also blurred, but I suspect not.

Yeah, saw it in 3D the first time, 2D the second. I generally try to avoid 3D but when my friends talked me into it for opening night I was ok with it as I had seen the Force Awakens only in 3D and it was actually pretty good. Not so for Rogue One -- it was awful from the very first scene. From now on I'm for sure only doing 2D for future Star Wars releases. 

1 hour ago, All-for-Joffrey said:

Yeah, saw it in 3D the first time, 2D the second. I generally try to avoid 3D but when my friends talked me into it for opening night I was ok with it as I had seen the Force Awakens only in 3D and it was actually pretty good. Not so for Rogue One -- it was awful from the very first scene. From now on I'm for sure only doing 2D for future Star Wars releases. 

Same for me, 3D was only choice unless I waited another half hour. Will be seeing it again in 2D this weekend

I normally hate 3D, it gives me a horrible headache.  I did see the Force Awakens in 3D and thought it was pretty good.  I and the people I was with had no issues with the 3D in this film.  With that said, I don't think it lent to the visual as much.

Archived