Faith of the Seven and the seven virtues

norwaywolf123

The seven virtues are chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility. Here's my attempt at matching them up.

The Father - The Father judges us all. A pretty easy pick, this one's temperance.

The Maiden - This one's pretty easy. The Maiden stands for chastity.

The Smith - The Smith is hard worker. Another easy one, he stands for diligence.

The Mother - From here on out it gets harder. The Mother represents a mother's love. Due to her unconditional love for her children, she is often associated with mercy. Ultimately, I'm going with patience, for her caring toward her children even when they err and her ability to forgive them.

The Warrior - The Warrior is associated with strength in battle. Due to the association thereof with knighthood, I'm going to go with humility on this one. A true knight should have the courage to perform great martial feats not for glory but because he is doing something that needs to be done and helping someone else. It's not really a common association with the way characters view the Warrior (i.e. give me strength so I can kill this other guy for my own benefit), but true knighthood isn't very common is Westeros either.

The Crone - This one's more of a stretch. The Crone is looked to for by those looking for her guidance. For this I will associate her with charity. Ultimately though, charity is more of giving oneself for others, while the Crone seems more a respected elder giving out knowledge gathered over a lifetime of experience.

The Stranger - Let's be honest here; the Stranger is a death god. There's not really a major virtue to go with that. Still, to round out the list, I will label the Stranger with kindness. At first glance, death does not seem to be kind, but there are a few things that make me lean this way. The first is that death does not discriminate; the Stranger comes for everyone in turn. The second is that for some, death is a release. Those who come to the House of Black and White come to make an end of things, and the Stranger grants their wishes.

Overall, I would say that although we can draw parallels, the Seven are not really supposed to be represent the seven virtues. Rather, I agree with @Lurid Jester that they're supposed to be more resembling Christianity than being a direct representation.

• 10 months later...
On 19.9.2016 at 5:02 AM, Michael Mertyns said:

The seven virtues are chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility. Here's my attempt at matching them up.

The Father - The Father judges us all. A pretty easy pick, this one's temperance.

The Maiden - This one's pretty easy. The Maiden stands for chastity.

The Smith - The Smith is hard worker. Another easy one, he stands for diligence.

The Mother - From here on out it gets harder. The Mother represents a mother's love. Due to her unconditional love for her children, she is often associated with mercy. Ultimately, I'm going with patience, for her caring toward her children even when they err and her ability to forgive them.

The Warrior - The Warrior is associated with strength in battle. Due to the association thereof with knighthood, I'm going to go with humility on this one. A true knight should have the courage to perform great martial feats not for glory but because he is doing something that needs to be done and helping someone else. It's not really a common association with the way characters view the Warrior (i.e. give me strength so I can kill this other guy for my own benefit), but true knighthood isn't very common is Westeros either.

The Crone - This one's more of a stretch. The Crone is looked to for by those looking for her guidance. For this I will associate her with charity. Ultimately though, charity is more of giving oneself for others, while the Crone seems more a respected elder giving out knowledge gathered over a lifetime of experience.

The Stranger - Let's be honest here; the Stranger is a death god. There's not really a major virtue to go with that. Still, to round out the list, I will label the Stranger with kindness. At first glance, death does not seem to be kind, but there are a few things that make me lean this way. The first is that death does not discriminate; the Stranger comes for everyone in turn. The second is that for some, death is a release. Those who come to the House of Black and White come to make an end of things, and the Stranger grants their wishes.

Overall, I would say that although we can draw parallels, the Seven are not really supposed to be represent the seven virtues. Rather, I agree with @Lurid Jester that they're supposed to be more resembling Christianity than being a direct representation.

You could also match the seven with the seven deadly sins

Archived