Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

If Firefly hadn't been cancelled it would have also gone for 22 episodes, so that wasn't meant to be shorter.

Also, Fuller has written a lot of Trek previously. He was even a producer (I think) for a couple of seasons on Voyager.

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

If Firefly hadn't been cancelled it would have also gone for 22 episodes, so that wasn't meant to be shorter.

Also, Fuller has written a lot of Trek previously. He was even a producer (I think) for a couple of seasons on Voyager.

I'm not suggesting he isn't qualified for Trek but I do think his voice/style is vastly different these days from the shows he built up from scratch. "dead like me", "Pushing Daisies" and " Hannibal" all have a very distinctive style (I haven't seen wonderfalls). I can see how that style could be a perfect fit for "american gods" but while I think he'd still make an interesting/great trek - I'd be slightly concerned it would feel like a "Fuller" show and less like a "trek" show. It may be that's what people feel trek needs to succeed on TV again - look at the approach they took for the films to see a different angle can pay off.

I still think running season 7 and 4 of sister shows and one new show is a lesser task than 3 separate premier seasons. Not that it's an easy task

16 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2016/10/star-trek-discovery-characters/

Is this news old and/or out of date?  A Klingon captain?

Urgh. I hope that article's completely wrong. A Klingon captain pre-TOS makes no sense, and that's a ridiculously male-dominated crew. And does "openly gay actor" mean "openly gay character"? Two admirals on the crew also seems a bit odd. Unless these are just some of the characters, not the primary crew of the Discovery? Eg the Klingon might be a recurring character who's captain of a Klingon ship?

1 hour ago, felice said:

Urgh. I hope that article's completely wrong. A Klingon captain pre-TOS makes no sense, and that's a ridiculously male-dominated crew. And does "openly gay actor" mean "openly gay character"? Two admirals on the crew also seems a bit odd. Unless these are just some of the characters, not the primary crew of the Discovery? Eg the Klingon might be a recurring character who's captain of a Klingon ship?

I really wasn't certain. Which is why I hoped someone else had heard something.  I want to think it's just a list of potential cast, but the article couches it as the crew of the ship...

The Klingons are a big part of Discovery and as it's a one-story series, I'm assuming the Klingon captain would be in command of a Klingon ship. The multiple crews reference might mean we even get regular (or at least recurring) Federation and Klingon crews.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The Klingons are a big part of Discovery and as it's a one-story series, I'm assuming the Klingon captain would be in command of a Klingon ship. The multiple crews reference might mean we even get regular (or at least recurring) Federation and Klingon crews.

So perhaps the article is just rode with typos/inconsistencies? They meant to say "cast" and instead wrote crew?

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Crouching Klingon, Hidden Starship.   Michelle Yeoh cast in STD, I'd guess one of the admirals, though the author of the article thinks the lead.

Not confirmed yet. It was an off-the-cuff remark by Nicholas Meyer, who is a producer and writer on the new show, so it's likely true. It just needs to be confirmed through official channels.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Not confirmed yet. It was an off-the-cuff remark by Nicholas Meyer, who is a producer and writer on the new show, so it's likely true. It just needs to be confirmed through official channels.

I saw this posted on Nerdist... So I thought it was a definite... regardless, she is fantastic.... I really hope this is true...

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Best thing about being outside the US and Canada is that it's just going to show up on Netflix here. Mwahaha.

Don't know why you're lumping in the US with Canada.  It just shows up in Canada, on our Space channel, which most cable or satellite subscribers already get.  MWAHAHAHAHAH

Archived