Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't think I've ever seen Frain play someone who wasn't a bad guy. 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that the show has been delayed again. 

Seriously? That's really bad. All that initial excitement last year has probably disappeared for many. It also makes you duboius about whether they have a clue what they are doing. Although it worked out ok for Westworld.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

Seriously? That's really bad. All that initial excitement last year has probably disappeared for many. It also makes you duboius about whether they have a clue what they are doing. Although it worked out ok for Westworld.

They haven't officially said anything, but The Hollywood Reporter says so. So far there's no new date. CBS did give this official statement that seems like damage control for another delay:

"Production on Star Trek: Discovery begins next week. We love the cast, the scripts and are excited about the world the producers have created," reps for CBS All Access said in a statement. "This is an ambitious project; we will be flexible on a launch date if it's best for the show. We've said from the beginning it's more important to do this right than to do it fast. There is also added flexibility presenting on CBS All Access, which isn't beholden to seasonal premieres or launch windows."

Don't get me wrong I'd rather they delay it than rush and botch it. But the various delays and Fuller leaving do leave the impression that they announced this thing without really thinking it through. 

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

They haven't officially said anything, but The Hollywood Reporter says so. So far there's no new date. CBS did give this official statement that seems like damage control for another delay:

Don't get me wrong I'd rather they delay it than rush and botch it. But the various delays and Fuller leaving do leave the impression that they announced this thing without really thinking it through. 

I guess there would have always been leaks given the interest in Star Trek but there wasn't anything preventing them from withholding an official release until they had something mmore concrete in place. It doesn't bode well for the CBS online service if this was supposed to be their flagship

I don't think I've ever seen Frain play someone who wasn't a bad guy. 

Thomas Cromwell in The Tudors and Ferdinand in Orphan Black. Neither are "nice" people but I'd hesitate to call either outright "bad".

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Thomas Cromwell in The Tudors and Ferdinand in Orphan Black. Neither are "nice" people but I'd hesitate to call either outright "bad".

He also played the ex-husband of Audrey Raines in the 4th season of '24', I think. While they were always teasing us with the fact that the guy might be evil he died a hero if I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I never saw The Tudors. Is it any good? I have yet to see season four or Orphan Black. I should get on that. I remember him barely being in season three but being menacing and working for the shady corporation.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

He also played the ex-husband of Audrey Raines in the 4th season of '24', I think. While they were always teasing us with the fact that the guy might be evil he died a hero if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah. I remembered that role but forgot that he turned out not to be in on the evil plot. 

I never saw The Tudors. Is it any good? I have yet to see season four or Orphan Black. I should get on that. I remember him barely being in season three but being menacing and working for the shady corporation.

It's nowhere near as good as Vikings (the same team's next project), but it's watchable hokum. Very good performances from a pre-Superman Henry Cavill, an absolutely brilliant turn from a pre-GoT Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn and a solid performance by Frain. Maria Doyle Kennedy (also later in Orphan Black) is very good as Catherine of Aragon. The biggest problem is that Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who plays Henry VIII, is really wooden and one-note, and he's the fulcrum around which the story turns.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I'm not in agreement with @Werthead about Jonathan Rhys-Myers. I really liked his approach on Henry VIII, especially the narcissistic element that comes off rather well, the inability/unwillingness to see fault in himself. 

The show itself is at times rather erratic, with important historical figures disappearing when their actors decided not to renew a contract, and other people just suddenly popping up for a season and then disappearing into nothingness. You can't portray a historical period that way.

Having problems connecting with 'Vikings', by the way. Watched the pilot last weekend with some friends.

Oh yeah. I remembered that role but forgot that he turned out not to be in on the evil plot. 

I just remembered that those assholes killed Audrey in the last season of this thing. So sad.

40 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I just remembered that those assholes killed Audrey in the last season of this thing. So sad.

Yeah.  I don't wanna derail this thread any further but 24: Legacy premiers next month. Sutherland has repeatedly claimed he's done but if Legacy is successful I hope he shows up eventually. Preferably as a legit villain. 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah.  I don't wanna derail this thread any further but 24: Legacy premiers next month. Sutherland has repeatedly claimed he's done but if Legacy is successful I hope he shows up eventually. Preferably as a legit villain. 

Starring Dr. Dre too, or at least the guy who played him in Straight Outta Compton (and as Heath in Walking Dead), Corey Hawkins.

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Well, before they killed Tony I had hoped he would have showed up as a President in 6th or 7th season. With those time jumps they had that could have worked easily enough. But I guess that's out of the question now.

I'll give the new thing a try.

well this last page shows that even a thread about relatively passionate fans of Trek have already started to lose interest in the show!

I thought Rhys-Meyers had been cast for a moment. I'm with Wertzone on his performance in the Tudors (which got progressively worse) but I think he had some addiction issues during the show. I thought he was a lot better on the Dracula show and he's usually ok in the films I've seen him in. I think he could make a good Romulan. He probably shouldn't be anything that requires prosthetics as I seem to recall he refused a fat suit in later seasons of "the tudors". I can see where he's coming from but it's nonsensical for a character who was famous for being pretty repulsive later in life. Again this maybe wasn't entirely his fault as he may have thought he was only doing the early years of Henry.

Kiefer Sutherland in Star Trek. I'm trying to think of a race of shout-whisper aliens who torture people for the greater good. Probably has to be a cardassian.

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

Ok, I give up trying to stay on topic. If this happened they'd have to ensure that no-one actually thought he was a villain - which would be an inverse of how every season the CTU assumed Jack had gone evil

I haven't lost interest.  I don't see what uncertainty of the premiere date has to do with my level of interest.  I find it weird people on an ASOIAF board declaring losing interest because of that.  Aren't you used to that by now?!?

Archived