Which Targaryen kings are you most interested in learning more about in Fire & Blood?

The Grey Wolf

I would personally love to learn more about

Daeron I - He was 14 when he came to the throne and in his short time on the throne was able to conquer the one kingdom that his predecessors could not and he did it without dragons.

Aegon IV - I know he was just awful as a King but come on with his drinking, feasting, and whoring he was Robert on steroids, his rule may have been very corrupt but some other interesting things happened

Viserys I - I would love to get a more detailed idea about his rule and the lead up to the Dance of Dragons

Aegon III - He had to pick up the pieces after the Dance of the Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to find more about:Maegor I Targaryen,his reign start with blood and ended with blood.I would like to hear more about his war with the Faith Militant and his black wives.Especially Tyanna of the Tower

King Aegon III Targaryen-he pick up a divided realm and he managed to bring peace and prosperity...best he can...

King Daeron I-he was just a 14 years boy but he managed to conquer Dorne,thing that Aegon the Conquerer can't.

King Daeron II-About his performance to bring Dorne into the realm

King Maekar and probably Jaehaerys II

I'd like to know more about Aenys and Maegor. Something I've always wondered is whether or not Maegor really usurped the throne from his nephew or did Aenys chose him as a successor. After all his aunt-stepmother Visenya took over his care in his last months, so for all we know Aenys named Maegor his heir during this time and told the Queen Dowager. Visenya never struck me as a poisoner. Stab you yes but not poison. Just my thoughts though.

On 10/3/2016 at 6:23 PM, Endymion I Targaryen said:
  • Aegon I, Visenya and (especially) Rhaenys.
  •  

I agree with this. The Original Trio is fascinating. But I'd like to know more about Rhaenys too. I don't know but I think GRRM is hinting that Visenya may have poisoned her, but in the end it's her line that prevails (GRRM's own version of twisted justice). Plus, I'd love to know why they conquered Westeros and not Essos. Aegon went there but didn't stay to conquer it seems. Were they aware of the prophesy? 

I'd also like to know a lot more about Daenys the Dreamer, one of the first Targs on Dragonstone. But she nor her family are rulers, yet. Daenys seems a lot more fascinating than any other Targs (except Danny) for me. 

Why do some people want to learn more about Maegor I the psycho? Seriously. 

On 29.8.2017 at 6:12 AM, Hiigara129 said:

I'd like to know more about Aenys and Maegor. Something I've always wondered is whether or not Maegor really usurped the throne from his nephew or did Aenys chose him as a successor. After all his aunt-stepmother Visenya took over his care in his last months, so for all we know Aenys named Maegor his heir during this time and told the Queen Dowager. Visenya never struck me as a poisoner. Stab you yes but not poison. Just my thoughts though.

Maegor was in exile during the last months of Aenys' reign. Prince Aegon was his heir, not Maegor. And Maegor sure as hell usurped the throne.

The original trio is such a mystery to me. We don't know anything about Aegon and his personality, how he behaved in everyday life. Also, I was curious about the relationship between Rhaenys and Visenya. Did they absolutely hate each other and yelled insults at one another? Were they friendly in public, but enemies in private? Was there any kind of sisterly love? Friendship? I think if we knew how the 2 queens felt about each other, what happened to Aenys  and all the stuff Maegor did and why will become a bit more clear. 

18 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

I agree with this. The Original Trio is fascinating. But I'd like to know more about Rhaenys too. I don't know but I think GRRM is hinting that Visenya may have poisoned her, but in the end it's her line that prevails (GRRM's own version of twisted justice). Plus, I'd love to know why they conquered Westeros and not Essos. Aegon went there but didn't stay to conquer it seems. Were they aware of the prophesy? 

I'd also like to know a lot more about Daenys the Dreamer, one of the first Targs on Dragonstone. But she nor her family are rulers, yet. Daenys seems a lot more fascinating than any other Targs (except Danny) for me. 

Why do some people want to learn more about Maegor I the psycho? Seriously. 

Aegon,Visenya and Rhaenys are three of the most characters of Westeros. We need to know how the idea about the Conquest started, the relationship between them, what happened to Rhaenys's corpse in Dorne, how the dornish wars ended during Aegon's reign.

• 4 weeks later...

Aegon III, hands down. The last dragon hatched and died during his reign. It seems there is a lot to learn about Archmaester Marwyn`s alleged anti-dragon conspiracy during this period. It wasn`t just the royal stable of dragons that died on his watch, but apparently all of the scattered dragons as well, like Silverwing, who was living wild in the Reach. Why was Aegon`s a "Broken Reign?"

On 24.9.2017 at 11:27 PM, Dukhasinov said:

Aegon III, hands down. The last dragon hatched and died during his reign. It seems there is a lot to learn about Archmaester Marwyn`s alleged anti-dragon conspiracy during this period. It wasn`t just the royal stable of dragons that died on his watch, but apparently all of the scattered dragons as well, like Silverwing, who was living wild in the Reach. Why was Aegon`s a "Broken Reign?"

I assume because he was a broken man. The Dance turned a somewhat melancholic child into a deeply disturbed and depressed man. But I don't think we can imagine Aegon III's reign as the reign of a man who took no active part in his governance. There were phases, most likely especially in his youth and early adulthood, when he refused to have any (intimate) contact with other human beings but the speech he gave after taking power into his own hands indicates that he had a political program and an agenda. An agenda that put the common people before the ambitions of the lords. I mean, the boy did not only witness the madness of the Dance that ripped the Realm apart but also suffered through six years of ambitious lords scheming to control his government, continuing to rip to pieces what his mother and father and uncles had left intact. One assumes he was deeply disgusted by the nobility until his early death and actually showed that contempt to any lord who actually dared to approach him asking for a royal favor.

His rule is later described as 'sober' and he and Viserys apparently dealt very effectively with the impostors pretending to be Daeron the Daring.

Another interesting hint is that Aegon V chose to wear the crown of Aegon III - which was only worn by Viserys II after his brother had died. It is odd that Egg would chose that crown rather than the crown his own father Maekar had made - a crown Jaehaerys II chose to wear - if he wasn't trying to send a message that way. And Egg clearly was a champion of the smallfolk.

On 25.9.2017 at 7:10 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Aegon IV the Unworthy. How did the realm not fall apart during his reign? 

There are hints as to why that didn't happen - Aegon IV wasn't stupid. He was the wittiest prince of his age, indicating that he was perhaps one of the smartest men of his age, too, a narcissistic but highly functioning psychopath who knew how to manipulate and play people without them turning against him. He knew how far he could go without provoking a dangerous rebellion. And one also assumes that Aegon IV was still very charming and approachable during the first half of his reign, not to mention still reasonably attractive. His darker tendencies were only visible to the people around him, those who entered into his inner circle. We see how this later goes with Aerys II. Only the people actually living at court saw how mad Aerys was until the king decided to go to Harrenhal. Aegon wasn't mad. While he was still able to travel the Realm he would have pretended to be a generous if somewhat lusty king which should have pretty much fooled most of the common people and the nobles who only met him in passing.

• 3 weeks later...

Aegon the Unworthy. One of my pet tinfoils is that Daenys's "Dream" is a set of prophetic shackles that chains the Targaryens to Destiny and that almost all of their actions are explainable through this filter; madness brought about by foresight that is hard to reconcile with the present (as in the Mad King seeing himself betrayed his BFF and slain by his BFF's son) and behaving oddly trying to fulfill prophetic antecendents (Aegon IV spreading his seed around like a perverted Garth Greenhand and then legitimizing the weeds and the flowers.). Perfect test case.

Archived