South Park: Member Season 20? [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Man I can't wait for this tonight, should be epic.

I hope they had time to put the episode together - or at least filmed two versions depending on the outcome. less than 24hrs seems an insane turnaround for an animated show.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I hope they had time to put the episode together - or at least filmed two versions depending on the outcome. less than 24hrs seems an insane turnaround for an animated show.

I'd guess they prepared for both, but they did do an episode in 24 hours after Obama won so there is precedent. I want to say I saw an interview with them saying they wouldn't do it again because they just got it to Comedy Central in time for it to go on and it was way too stressful.

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Maybe they all ready did most of the episode and then put a tag on the end like it was a dream or somehow the timeline changed.

I guess addressing the results may only need to be 5 mins of fpptage inserted last minute into the show

7 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I'd guess they prepared for both, but they did do an episode in 24 hours after Obama won so there is precedent. I want to say I saw an interview with them saying they wouldn't do it again because they just got it to Comedy Central in time for it to go on and it was way too stressful.

I remember that for the 2012 elections they claimed they didn't have an "Obama loses" fallback, they were that certain he would win. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear there was a lot of scrambling and last minute recording done today. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that they were expecting a Trump loss but always planning a Garrison/Jenner win. 

I chuckled at the rickroll and Ike's line "Daddy called you a pussy" or whatever it was.

Otherwise yeah, pretty meh episode. I really think Parker and Stone were caught by surprise like so many were and had to do a quick revision, it seemed the main plot wouldn't have needed much change, just around the peripheries of the plotlines.

ETA:

Oh and the reporter or whoever it was that shot himself, I knew that was coming.

It's pretty obvious they fucked up and assumed Hillary was gonna win. In 2008 and 2012 they said they barely even planned for Obama to lose, they just saw what Nate Silver etc were saying and banked on Obama winning. And that definitely happened with this episode. It was originally called "The Very First Gentleman" and you can tell they had a whole thing with Bill Clinton planned and couldn't scrap all of it so they just referred to him as the "almost first gentleman" which is kinda hilarious. So yeah, that episode must have been unbelievably rushed and it wasn't great but ah well, shit happens - fucking Donald Trump is the President of the United States. 

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

I remember that for the 2012 elections they claimed they didn't have an "Obama loses" fallback, they were that certain he would win. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear there was a lot of scrambling and last minute recording done today. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that they were expecting a Trump loss but always planning a Garrison/Jenner win. 

Fixed it for you :)

10 minutes ago, Gears of the Beast said:

It's pretty obvious they fucked up and assumed Hillary was gonna win. In 2008 and 2012 they said they barely even planned for Obama to lose, they just saw what Nate Silver etc were saying and banked on Obama winning. And that definitely happened with this episode. It was originally called "The Very First Gentleman" and you can tell they had a whole thing with Bill Clinton planned and couldn't scrap all of it so they just referred to him as the "almost first gentleman" which is kinda hilarious. So yeah, that episode must have been unbelievably rushed and it wasn't great but ah well, shit happens - fucking Donald Trump is the President of the United States. 

It was easy to see the parts they were salvaging - Bill being the most obvious but I think it was also going to be that Hilary sold Kyle's dad out as a deal to win originally as well.

Looks like Trump managed to fuck up South Park.

9 minutes ago, red snow said:

It was easy to see the parts they were salvaging - Bill being the most obvious but I think it was also going to be that Hilary sold Kyle's dad out as a deal to win originally as well.

Yeah that was probably the storyline. If I was a position to I would have advised them to just stick with the original script, it wouldn't have been that hard to figure out how to make Garrison become president in the next episode and would have worked with the theme of him accidentally doing so well the entire season. You could even make some minor alterations to set that up. But they have this obsession with covering the big news as fast as possible - which I think is why the quality of the show has gone down since around season 10. As their reliance on news and pop culture stuff has increased the quality has definitely decreased. 

58 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

This episode sort of amplified my full on existential horror of the real situation.  I mean, there were funny satirical bits throughout, but I had to stop half way through to avoid screaming.

I agree it's quite a scary notion - the "100% divorce rate" was probably accurate (and Cartman's mini story reflects the "you may not mean it anymore but it's fixed there in the past").

If the concept doesn't terrify you too much you should check out the "private eye" webcomic. It's set in a world post internet where all data history became available and screwed up society. People in this world now exist under almost complete anonymity as a backlash to people having found it everything about everyone. It's technically free to download as it operates on a "what do you think it's worth" scheme. Perfectly reasonable to try issue 1 for free, I'd say.

30 minutes ago, red snow said:

Oddly, RickRoll was the part that fell flat to me.

I have an odd attachment to Rickrolling. So I'll always like it, but it wasn't very succesful indeed. It felt a bit lazy there. 

Archived