South Park: Member Season 20? [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

On 11/10/2016 at 4:45 AM, Gears of the Beast said:

Yeah that was probably the storyline. If I was a position to I would have advised them to just stick with the original script, it wouldn't have been that hard to figure out how to make Garrison become president in the next episode and would have worked with the theme of him accidentally doing so well the entire season. You could even make some minor alterations to set that up. But they have this obsession with covering the big news as fast as possible - which I think is why the quality of the show has gone down since around season 10. As their reliance on news and pop culture stuff has increased the quality has definitely decreased. 

Yeah, the show was at its best when they had the kids just being kids and interspersed topical episodes here and there where they really had something important to say. I actually liked last night's episode and the Bill Clinton stuff was funny even if it was very out of place given the circumstances, but really bothered me is what's been bothering me all season -- how they've handled the Trump/Garrison stuff. The Trump phenomenon was handled perfectly in that episode last season and they managed to be fucking prescient. They should have just brought an "American Trump" into the picture. The continuity arcs are cool but I don't know why they're so obsessed with doing them season to season all of the sudden.  But even if they use Garrison as a stand in for Trump, the thing that bothers me most is that they've failed to capture the passion and zeal of the Trump effect. The whole mindless zombie member berry vomit thing just kind of erases, downplays, and white washes the real-world factors leading to Trump's win and a large portion of the country's visceral enthusiasm for him imo. They had a handle on all that much better last season -- particularly the Canadian Trump episode. 

2 hours ago, All-for-Jof~spoiler~ said:

Yeah, the show was at its best when they had the kids just being kids and interspersed topical episodes here and there where they really had something important to say. I actually liked last night's episode and the Bill Clinton stuff was funny even if it was very out of place given the circumstances, but really bothered me is what's been bothering me all season -- how they've handled the Trump/Garrison stuff. The Trump phenomenon was handled perfectly in that episode last season and they managed to be fucking prescient. They should have just brought an "American Trump" into the picture. The continuity arcs are cool but I don't know why they're so obsessed with doing them season to season all of the sudden.  But even if they use Garrison as a stand in for Trump, the thing that bothers me most is that they've failed to capture the passion and zeal of the Trump effect. The whole mindless zombie member berry vomit thing just kind of erases, downplays, and white washes the real-world factors leading to Trump's win and a large portion of the country's visceral enthusiasm for him imo. They had a handle on all that much better last season -- particularly the Canadian Trump episode. 

Pretty sure I can answer that. If you've watched 6 Days to Air and listened to the DVD commentary they do for each episode (particularly during the golden age of seasons 6 to 9) it's really difficult to come up with a completely original storyline in 6 days and then another one and then another one and then another until the season's finally over. Those seasons were great but they put immense pressure on themselves and basically went through hell to get them out. I have to imagine that the continuity between episodes makes writing way easier on them and now they're doing it I don't see any way that they'd go back to what they did before. It's also probably related to their reliance on news and pop culture, I think the well was drying - there's only so many brilliant episodes like "Cartman's Incredible Gift" that they can just pull out of their ass. I'm willing to cut them some slack, they've been doing this for as long as I've been alive, they've made a fuckton of money and I think to continue doing it they just needed to make it less grueling on them. 

17 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I wonder how Trey and Parker are going to handle being some out of Elite they did not even think of having two endings.

This rest the season may just drag out and be just some exhortation of Liberal elites, a dark ominous warning, or some optimism with acknowledge problems that should not be ignored.

I don't know if paying attention to the (horrendously terrible) polls qualifies you as "elite." (To be sure, their money qualifies them as elite and possibly out of touch at this point, but considering them biased liberal elitists is laughable.) 

2 minutes ago, All-for-Joffrey said:

I don't know if paying attention to the (horrendously terrible) polls qualifies you as "elite." (To be sure, their money qualifies them as elite and possibly out of touch at this point, but considering them biased liberal elitists is laughable.) 

I said nothing about them being Liberal that is your addition.  Just as out of touch Elites.

Margaritaville was not exactly an ode to Libertarian Economic Principals and Theories.

I am bothered that they view this straight as Trump is not serious (S19) or it is obvious he will lose (S20).  It cut off some deeper exploration of his appeal and dangers.

On 11/9/2016 at 2:42 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Member when we all thought the Trump campaign was a joke?

Too soon.

I finally got to see S20E7 and it was brilliant. The whole Clinton/Cosby Gentleman's Club routine is some of the most brilliant satire I've ever seen. And the "pressing pickle" line killed me. Fight the power, Butters!

I thought this week was stronger. I liked the Darth Vader wig/transformation of Mr Garrison into a more Trump-like character. Loved his Trump-face too.

I also enjoyed hating Kyle's dad for being such a dick with his framing of Ike for the trolling. I've noticed his dad's become a good analog of the "silent majority" with his pent up frustration only being vented via anonymous action.

The member berries are straying into the farcical side of South Park that they occasionally overindulge in. I don't think they need as much screen time as they've been getting and a lot of it is pretty WTF? I guess the creators find it hilarious.

There was no scene to rival gortoz a ran, but overall I think it was the best episode of the season. I wondered how they were going to keep the SW stuff and manage to work Trump in, but they did it beautifully. I too started to get a severe dislike for Kyle's dad. He's a grade A asshole. 

I like all the memberberries stuf, mainly because they do still feel like they are a very relevant take on these things. Plus their version of Toto's Africa cracks me up. I also like how the older memberberries are nostalgic for something else. I don't know how it will play out eventually, but I think it's quite a clever way to show how bogus all that nostalgia truly is. Not everyone is united in looking back to the same perfect past after all, even among the more nostalgically inclined among us.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

There was no scene to rival gortoz a ran, but overall I think it was the best episode of the season. I wondered how they were going to keep the SW stuff and manage to work Trump in, but they did it beautifully. I too started to get a severe dislike for Kyle's dad. He's a grade A asshole. 

I like all the memberberries stuf, mainly because they do still feel like they are a very relevant take on these things. Plus their version of Toto's Africa cracks me up. I also like how the older memberberries are nostalgic for something else. I don't know how it will play out eventually, but I think it's quite a clever way to show how bogus all that nostalgia truly is. Not everyone is united in looking back to the same perfect past after all, even among the more nostalgically inclined among us.

Toto was a great nostalgia choice but now you point it out the generations of nostalgia is an intersting angle.

I also liked how they reworked the music (I don't know the name but it's very american) into the death march from star wars

12 hours ago, red snow said:

I also liked how they reworked the music (I don't know the name but it's very american) into the death march from star wars

I read somewhere it was Hail to the Chief :) 

South Park has been a cultural icon for so many years and has such a history, the member berries could actually talk about that.

"Member Mr. Hat?"

"I member! Member Mr. Hanky?"

"Yeah I member! Member Pip?"

"Yeah I member Pip! Member Dr. Mafesto?"

"I member! Member Starvin' Marvin?"

"I member him! Member Chef?"

"Oooooh I member Chef! Member Kenny always dying?"

"Yeah, I member that!"

"How about 'Jesus and Pals', member that?"

"I member! Member the school bus driver?"

"Yeah, I member her!"

16 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I love that the Danish guy is the biggest troll of all. 

This was pretty fun - especially as it finally put kyle's dad in his place. They've done a great job with the dad this season by establishing him as one of the more repulsive characters. Randy is a loveable idiot but kyle's dad is a shit.

6 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Mr. Slave!

member Mr Slave?

I didn't love the episode but it had a lot of good moments. I liked when Kyle ragged on the show's season long format :)

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I think the guy developing the anti-troll software is goingto get outed as troll. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:10 PM, drawkcabi said:

His last name is Bedrager, like someone who rages while in bed, like on a laptop or tablet. That's either a clue or a red herring.

I can't believe how good and fresh this show is in season 20!

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:32 PM, dooog said:

This is shaping up to be my favourite ever South Park season, and i've been a fan of the show since day 1

Bedrager is Danish for scammer / deceiver

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, drawkcabi said:

Interesting. I wondered if it meant anything in Danish. So, maybe he's trying to be the ultimate troll or something.

Most of us saw that coming.

I enjoyed this episode, but I think Parker and Stone spoiled it by using the Rickroll a couple episodes ago too. I guess it could have been a way to refresh peoples' minds that that was a thing, "member rickrolling?"

However, I think if they hadn't have done that two or three episodes ago my reaction would have been on the floor laughing like crazy instead of just amused by it this time.

I wonder how the memberries and the Godberryfather ties into this, if he's associated with Bedrger or Musk or if they're not connected at all to the other plots?

Archived