South Park: Member Season 20? [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Tweek was the perfect character for this episode. North Korea sending a missile over Tweek's house in retaliation was hilarious. Though I kinda wish Tweeks plan at the ending would've been to get his own Twitter account and start a flame war with Garrison, instead of the song/dance number.

I also thought they'd go in that direction. But I am glad they didn't, because what would've been the point of that flamewar. They could've done it for the sake of doing it. The song was a much better way to end the episode.

20 hours ago, Notone said:

I also thought they'd go in that direction. But I am glad they didn't, because what would've been the point of that flamewar. They could've done it for the sake of doing it. The song was a much better way to end the episode.

Yeah, the song was a better way to end the episode. But lately they've been trying to move away from the self contained episodes and instead go for season spanning plots. A conflict between Tweek and Garrison might've been an interesting (and potentially hilarious) thing to have in the background this season. 

Edit: But it's only been two episodes this season, and the score is 1-1 for shitty vs. entertaining. So for now I'm just gonna try to trust them and hope they keep the entertaining streak up.

19 hours ago, Notone said:

Yes, but that would've gone stale rather quick imo.

Stone and Parker also said they were going to lay off the Trump/Garrison stuff as they felt it wasn't as funny when it actually happened. I think having him only appear via tweets is fine though.

Both episodes have been "ok" for me. I fell asleep watching the first one (but that could have been two glasses of wine to blame). The second one had good moments although I felt Tweek should have been tweeting too and even if he wasn't there would have been a media storm around Tweek destroying him far more than the threat of a nuke over his house. But the show only has so much room.

It's also deeply uncomfortable whenever I recognise personality traits in Cartman! I've  had (thankfully) watered down versions of his reaction to a troubled relationship. Always good confirmation of it being a character flaw when Cartman does it. On the bright side I did like how Craig resolved the Tweek problem - I think that's very true. It's something we could do with on a large scale eg listening to peoples online rage rather than knee-jerk reacting to the thing they are angry about.

15 hours ago, Nictarion said:

That was the first episode of the season I truly loved. Randy was pure gold. :lol:

Randy is always capable of carrying an episode by himself.

27 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

This episode was weird, but I liked it a lot :lol: That Native American should become a recurring character :P 

Anymore weird than the week before?

was that a dig at critics reception of episode 1, when Randy was on the phone and complaining about not getting away with subtle humour?

I liked the sentiment of white folks trying to find a percentage of their DNA that allows them not to feel guilty rather than accept the situation.

8 minutes ago, red snow said:

was that a dig at critics reception of episode 1, when Randy was on the phone and complaining about not getting away with subtle humour?

I liked the sentiment of white folks trying to find a percentage of their DNA that allows them not to feel guilty rather than accept the situation.

Was it really about refusing to accept the situation, or was it lampooning the idea that you can find "being a victim" in one's biology? I loved it when they just started quoting the percent of victim they were.

1 hour ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

Was it really about refusing to accept the situation, or was it lampooning the idea that you can find "being a victim" in one's biology? I loved it when they just started quoting the percent of victim they were.

That element was definitely at play too but given there was a guy in the office releived he could now use the N-word because he was 2% black african suggested to me there were characters finding ways to carry on being insensitive rather than accept some words are offensive to people.

Randy was trying to be part native american to get him off the hook for loving Columbus. He was trying to do the right thing in the wrong way - mainly in refusing to accept his love of Columbus may be misplaced. But rather than admit guilt he tried to fool people into thinking he was native american as if that would absolve him of all guilt. That was the vibe I got from the various sketches - white folks trying to let themselves off the hook/feel "special" or expect some kind of sympathy. Which completely misses the point in terms of what the people they were wanting to be experience. I don't think native americans want to be perceived as victims but it was some cutting social commentary from South Park to suggest white folks are envious of their "victim" status. Like being envious of a person with no legs getting the best parking spaces. It highlights how a lot of people are completely insensitive to certain issues. Although I did like the sentiment that Randy does feel bad about it and somewhat lost about how he should deal with it.

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

That element was definitely at play too but given there was a guy in the office releived he could now use the N-word because he was 2% black african suggested to me there were characters finding ways to carry on being insensitive rather than accept some words are offensive to people.

Randy was trying to be part native american to get him off the hook for loving Columbus. He was trying to do the right thing in the wrong way - mainly in refusing to accept his love of Columbus may be misplaced. But rather than admit guilt he tried to fool people into thinking he was native american as if that would absolve him of all guilt. That was the vibe I got from the various sketches - white folks trying to let themselves off the hook/feel "special" or expect some kind of sympathy. Which completely misses the point in terms of what the people they were wanting to be experience. I don't think native americans want to be perceived as victims but it was some cutting social commentary from South Park to suggest white folks are envious of their "victim" status. Like being envious of a person with no legs getting the best parking spaces. It highlights how a lot of people are completely insensitive to certain issues. Although I did like the sentiment that Randy does feel bad about it and somewhat lost about how he should deal with it.

My take on it was different. Since season 20, South Park has been satirizing PC culture by "accepting it." It's more about social stigmas and responding to it with "white guilt." Hence, Randy starts a campaign to get rid of Columbus Day. If anything South Park trivializes what your average person might find offensive. In one instance, I think one of the boys criticized Randy's attempt to get rid of Columbus Day because who'd care about the reasons the got a day off. South Park didn't try to defend Columbus and they didn't try to defend Native Americans. It's just one of those episodes where Randy goes overboard, as he often does, for no reason. But in a way he has to because it's a response to PC culture.

15 hours ago, red snow said:

The nice thing about good South Park ideas is that they can mean different things to people. When they're not offending everyone they're are making different points to different viewers. Sometimes both at once :)

I just caught up on the first few episodes. Quality comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved this episode.

I enjoy any of the episodes that have the Coon and Friends in it.  Having Zuckerberg show up with dubbed audio and making his own sound effects was hilarious.  Not to mention that the whole half hour episode was basically an advertisement for the game coming out next week, which I am extremely pumped for.

6 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Loved this episode.

I enjoy any of the episodes that have the Coon and Friends in it.  Having Zuckerberg show up with dubbed audio and making his own sound effects was hilarious.  Not to mention that the whole half hour episode was basically an advertisement for the game coming out next week, which I am extremely pumped for.

You ever play their first game? It's hilarious. 

Just watched this past week's episode.  Some of the best satire they've done in years, but I still feel like Parker and friends take a "whatever, fuck you" approach in the writer's room to heart.

19 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Just watched this past week's episode.  Some of the best satire they've done in years, but I still feel like Parker and friends take a "whatever, fuck you" approach in the writer's room to heart.

Have you seen 6 Days to Air? Really cool documentary that highlights the process they go through to get an episode on the air. Their writer's room looks like it would be a blast to hang out in. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_Days_to_Air

Archived