South Park: Member Season 20? [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

Speaking of the member berries, I'm surprised any Stranger Things related nostalgia hasn't made it in their speech. Member Steven Spielberg? Member the 80s? Member E.T? I member. It's just Star Wars.

And I think Ike was my favorite character of this episode. Also loved how Kyle played on Trump/Garrison's childish need to show he's the shit.

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Speaking of the member berries, I'm surprised any Stranger Things related nostalgia hasn't made it in their speech. Member Steven Spielberg? Member the 80s? Member E.T? I member. It's just Star Wars.

And I think Ike was my favorite character of this episode. Also loved how Kyle played on Trump/Garrison's childish need to show he's the shit.

It is odd but I think the narrative drive is how TFA was a massive cultural phenomenon (Stranger Things is still a cult hit) and South Park have put it down to nostalgia. I guess Speilberg is different in the sense he isn't remaining successful by churning out the same movies over and over again.

They did mention the goonies at some point though.

The new episode was excellent. So many good lines and scenes.

The martian mines.

"They lack one thing - semen and a sense of humour" "that's two" "No it isn't"

"I will always do want is best for both of us"

The showdown about whether it was satire, nihilism or funny.

I also enjoyed Trevor's Axiom and how they've managed to tie the season long story about trolling into Trump's election. Genius!

Although there were no member berries which seemed a bit odd given this was the finale.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

The new episode was excellent. So many good lines and scenes.

The martian mines.

"They lack one thing - semen and a sense of humour" "that's two" "No it isn't"

"I will always do want is best for both of us"

The showdown about whether it was satire, nihilism or funny.

I also enjoyed Trevor's Axiom and how they've managed to tie the season long story about trolling into Trump's election. Genius!

Although there were no member berries which seemed a bit odd given this was the finale.

The member berries were in the Oval Office with President Garrison. Gerald was no different from the troll whether or not he believed it. 

I liked the finale, but my favorite parts were at the end when Gerald gave Kyle and Ike the thumbs up and when they interviewed the old man who sent the first email on the new internet. "I showed him my dick and called him a f*g." was a vintage South Park line if there ever was one.

So I guess from the title that that's it for the serialisation.....I think they nailed it last season, with stuff ticking over in the background while they were still able to do (sort of) individual episodes. Even the 'arc' episodes still had a more defined story to them. Still a very good season though, I guess we'll be forever wondering how they were planning to stick the landing had Hillary won.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:37 PM, DaveSumm said:

So I guess from the title that that's it for the serialisation.....I think they nailed it last season, with stuff ticking over in the background while they were still able to do (sort of) individual episodes. Even the 'arc' episodes still had a more defined story to them. Still a very good season though, I guess we'll be forever wondering how they were planning to stick the landing had Hillary won.

I didn't even register the title of the last episode. I guess they're going back to their old format.

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Finally caught up. I'm sorely disappointed. These last few episodes were shit. Hardly any laugh for me and the narrative was awful. What happened to the memberberries? 

The season got screwed up right at the episode after the election.

I thought this Esquire article was pretty good for a brief analysis.

It looks like the memberries are set up to return next season with President Garrison as fixtures in the oval office.

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've not kept up regularly with the how for years...more is the pity...but I just caught my favorite two parter ever, "Go God Go I and XII" on Comedy Central and I wanted to share...

You know I still think of that as a fairly 'new' episode.......then I remembered it's about the Wii coming out and is therefore a decade old. Woah.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

The season got screwed up right at the episode after the election.

I thought this Esquire article was pretty good for a brief analysis.

It looks like the memberries are set up to return next season with President Garrison as fixtures in the oval office.

Yeah, that was definitely the final drop, but they had trouble before. This season peaked in episode 2 with Gortoz a ran and never came close to those heights again unfortunately. This might be one of the worst seasons they have done in quite some time.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've not kept up regularly with the how for years...more is the pity...but I just caught my favorite two parter ever, "Go God Go I and XII" on Comedy Central and I wanted to share...

Such a classic, I was watching it today as well. Them calling Cartman TC/Time Child kills me every time.

On 08/12/2016 at 3:28 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The member berries were in the Oval Office with President Garrison. Gerald was no different from the troll whether or not he believed it. 

I still feel the finale was great but I agree that the show was most flimsy after the election derailment. But that's the risk of serial storytelling. Episodic approach is far safer when responding to real life events.

The other issue with the season is that trolling isn't that different from the previous season's focus on "shaming" and "safe-spaces". It made things feel even more tired when we'd just had the first season of serialised seasons.

That said, I still feel the last two seasons were stronger than the ones beforehand that had 3-4 parters. They really dragged for me and I felt that 19 and 20 at least merged the concept of season-long story with topical storylines.

The creators themselves admitted in the final episode that it's hard to do satire when reality appears to be exactly the same.

• 8 months later...

Archived