Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: On the fringes of the MCU [Endgame spoilers pg. 19]

Corvinus85

So we've met the new Director. I think I like him for now, despite his fawning over the visiting Congress people.

Spoiler

And it's nice that they made him an Inhuman. Is he a comic book character, though?

Does this Ghost Rider not say "guilty" to his victims? That was one of the few cool parts in the N. Cage movie.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

So we've met the new Director. I think I like him for now, despite his fawning over the visiting Congress people.

Hide contents

And it's nice that they made him an Inhuman. Is he a comic book character, though?

Does this Ghost Rider not say "guilty" to his victims? That was one of the few cool parts in the N. Cage movie.

The new director is based on a golden age hero. The betting money is that he's the Patriot...but as that's only speculation (I believe it, despite a couple inconsistencies with the background), I'm not spoilering it.

I feel like it didn't make any sense that the director is an inhuman.  It's only a feeling because I don't really keep all of the facts and plot points from the show or the movies wrapped up neatly inside my brain.  It just seemed...bizarre?  And he's also hella annoying.

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I feel like it didn't make any sense that the director is an inhuman.

I think it could make for some interesting plots, but no it doesn't make sense. If Coulson was entirely in charge of appointing him it would, because he would want a show of confidence in them so people trust them.......except those people include the government, who actually are the ones doing the appointing. And no way in hell do they appoint an Inhuman after HYDRA-gate. Unless, maybe, they don't plan on telling anyone and just figured it'd be cool to have a superman in charge. Or, possibly, they want all the unaccounted for Inhumans to trust SHIELD as an organisation they can turn to.

I enjoyed them talking about publicity and funding, it's something that's come up here plenty. OK it wasn't entirely clear who was paying for these billion dollar jets, but at least they're acknowledging it. Also, not to beat the film-tie-in drum too much again but, SHIELD going public has to be the easiest thing to reference ever. It'd be global news, and very easy to slip in a comment or even a newspaper headline or something.

22 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I feel like it didn't make any sense that the director is an inhuman.  It's only a feeling because I don't really keep all of the facts and plot points from the show or the movies wrapped up neatly inside my brain.  It just seemed...bizarre?  And he's also hella annoying.

My 13 year old sons and I watch the show together. The conversation was "is he the villain, or just a dork". Given the possible backstory

Spoiler

of being the Patriot, Jeffrey Mace, member of the supremely dorkily named 50s super team "All Winners Squad"

We think he's just a dork.

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM, DaveSumm said:

I think it could make for some interesting plots, but no it doesn't make sense. If Coulson was entirely in charge of appointing him it would, because he would want a show of confidence in them so people trust them.......except those people include the government, who actually are the ones doing the appointing. And no way in hell do they appoint an Inhuman after HYDRA-gate. Unless, maybe, they don't plan on telling anyone and just figured it'd be cool to have a superman in charge. Or, possibly, they want all the unaccounted for Inhumans to trust SHIELD as an organisation they can turn to.

Why? Almost none of the Hydra agents or leaders we know of was an Inhumam. Inhumans didn't infiltrate SHIELD, regular humans did. A much better question would be, why is SHIELD again allowed to exist after Hydragate?

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Why? Almost none of the Hydra agents or leaders we know of was an Inhumam. Inhumans didn't infiltrate SHIELD, regular humans did. A much better question would be, why is SHIELD again allowed to exist after Hydragate?

As to your last question, of course it wouldn't. Captain America agrees with you. Except the show got renewed and it had to be about something, so here we are. But taking its existence as given, the Inhumans are perceived as a potential threat. That was the whole arc of the show, that they were practically a new species and could we trust them etc etc. So an organisation famous for allowing the enemy to be secretly running it......hires a guy belonging to the very next threatening group to come along? Nah.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been enjoying it still, no real tie in with Dr Strange beyond the thematic magic thing. AEDA having the Darkhold within her should be fun. Ghost Rider was cool, be nice to see him return at some point.

There is also a web series out, Slingshot. Focussing on Yo Yo when she first meets up with Quake post accords. It has some nice moments and it's nice to see a more peripheral character focused on, but it's nothing ground breaking. And at a little over 27 minutes including each episodes credits, it really didn't need to be episodic.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm way behind but trying to catch up on the third season now that it's on Netflix. On episode 3.20 now and that alley scene with James. We had a whole buildup scene of the Watchdogs training with the automatic weapons. Then during the mission none of them fired a shot because "oh shit he just set that chain on fire and hit a guy with it! The guy we targeted because he has super powers has super powers and it's so shocking to us that we forgot to just shoot him."

To a certain extent this is an issue in the films too. I remember thinking about it in the opening of Civil War with Black Widow. All one terrorist had to do was shoot her while she was hand to hand combating. But this instance actually made me laugh out loud because it was just so bad and preceded by that whole gun range scene. 

5 hours ago, lmanion said:

Roll credits has to be the best line ever in this show. Had to hit pause i was laughing so hard

Spoiler

Is that what Mack said after he hacked off AIDA's head? I loved his constant grumbling about movies with robots taking over, but I missed what he said in that scene.

Archived