Least favourite POV character per book

Ser Scott Malkinson

Recently, there was a topic on the favourite POV character per book. Since we all like to complain once in a while, let's do the opposite!

aGoT - Sansa. Though I understand why she is written this way and definitely don't think that it should be changed, it is REALLY annoying to see her be so naive and stupid. Therefore, despite it being part of one of the best character developments in the series, I could get the least enjoyment from her chapters in this book.

aCoK - Dany. WHAT HAPPENED?! So much was going on in her aGoT chapters! And then we get this... Dany of course has the unfair disadvantage that her story takes place pretty much apart from everyone else. Nevertheless, GRRM got me to care about the Dothraki's, Illyrio and in the next books even Slaver's Bay somewhat. That did not happen in Qarth.

aSoS - Sam. Like in aGoT, this one is really not that bad, it's just worse than all others. I really dislike his self-proclaimed cowardice. It's OK to see pop-up once or twice in a Jon-chapter, but in his own chapters it really starts to get on your nerves.

aFfC - Arys. Now, I like plenty of the new POV's like Arianne, Vicky, Cersei and even most of Brienne. But there are some I don't like. For most of those I understand why they had to be used though, like Areo and the Damphair (who is starting to grow on me after his WoW chapter, though). But for Arys that is not the case. I didn't like his POV and I don't get why it was necessary that we saw things from his perspective. Maybe this will be made clear in the coming books, but for now at least, he seems like the only redundant POV in the books to me.

aDwD - Tyrion. Once again, not bad, just the worst of the bunch. I hate his self-pity, which admittedly has always been there, but has been amped up to 11 in this book. I understand this from a character-building perspective, but it is really annoying to read "wherever whores go" for the 12,358th time. Plus Penny.

Man this is super tough because I rarely dislike any of the chapters in the books at all, but I'll do my best

AGoT: Cat, I really hate Cat in this book. I hate how she treats Jon, I hate her capturing Tyrion, her behavior in this book rustles my jimjams

ACoK: Dany, I actually like all the stuff in Qarth, but I've never been partial to the character herself

ASoS: Is none an option? I guess I'll go with Dany again for the same reasons as ACoK

AFfC: Samwell. I didn't like his Feast chapters very much at all

ADwD: Dany, I didn't like the politics of Meereen at all, and found myself completely disinterested in her story

I don't hate any of these chapters though, even the ones I dislike still have redeeming qualities

GOT: Tyrion. I only liked his Wall chapters. His other chapters were uninteresting.

COK: Jon. His story after the Fist of the First Men were boring.

SOS: Davos. His story is advancing too slowly compared to the other POVs.

FFC: Arys. Nice story but useless POV.

DWD: Jon C. I just dislike this character.

AGOT - Daenerys.  Disconnedcted from the main story, and I really dislike the dothraki.  

ACOK - Theon.   I don't like his actions, don't like his thought processes, and don't like him much, either.

ASOS - Davos and Daenerys.  The weakest of a generally good lot.

AFFC - Aeron and Victarion.  I dislike the Ironborn, and these guys are a big part of the reason why.

ADWD - Tyrion.  A long journey to nowhere.  Especially after he leaves Griff.

TWOW -

Arianne.  Two chapters, and nothing is happening.  

7 hours ago, Land's End said:

aFfC
Arys and Aero. Both completely unnecessary imo

I think Areo is necessary, since we need some way to show us what Doran is up to without knowing what is happening in his head. But I also think he himself really doesn't add anything as a character.

4 hours ago, coolsaladgirl93 said:

ASoS: Is none an option? I guess I'll go with Dany again for the same reasons as ACoK

This was the book I struggled with most myself. Since I still find Sam's chapters quite interesting, I really had to nitpick and go with him for his annoyingly unchanging cowardice. Luckily he at least started to lose weight in Feast, because his continuing fatness was also unbelievable.

2 hours ago, dariopatke said:

1. Sansa

2. Daenerys

3. Bran

4. Arys, Sam (exclude his last chapter),Cersei and Arya

5. Arya and Tyrion after departure from Griffs

I could indeed also have gone with Bran in Storm. His journey north is really forgettable. Although, we also get the story about the Tourney of Harrenhal during this time, which I think was one of the best parts of the book.

I can't wait for what is going to happen in Oldtown during Winds. There are so many interesting characters with connections to all kinds of storylines around...

I agree Arya wasn't as interesting in the last couple of books as she was in the first three, though I think there is much promise if it is handled better than in the show, which was a travesty. Not that I'm a book snob, I like the show, but they seriously fucked up there.

Tyrion I am also mostly basing on his period after he leaves fAegon. Before that, I find his chapters pretty good.

14 minutes ago, Nevets said:

TWOW -

Hide contents

Arianne.  Two chapters, and nothing is happening.  

I was really disappointed by her chapters, especially since they were my favourites in Feast and most other released chapters from Winds are great. What do you think of the released Damphair chapter, as an ironborn-hater? I also didn't like him in Feast, but this chapter really made me reconsider.

AGOT: Sansa, she makes me cringe... and I try to be understanding that she's a kid but it hurts

ACOK: Catelyn, just never been a fan

ASOS: none

AFFC: Cersei, I just felt dirty after reading her chapters

ADWD: Dany/Tyrion they both seemed unpleasant in this book... definitely tired of "where do whores go"

AGoT: Jon. He is one of my favorites and maybe that hurts him here as my bar is set higher, as he just comes off as moody and self-entitled, he obviously gets better

ACoK: Catelyn, Understandably depressed, but difficult to read.

ASoS: Sam, Has a lot of cool moments, but some very stiff competition as I love this book

AFfC: Cersei, Made me hate her even more

ADwD: Tyrion, too many depressed chapters.

My least favourite POV for the whole series (except AGoT and maybe ACoK) is Daenerys. I don't like her at all, I'm not that interested in Essos (and - blasphemy - I'm not a fan of dragons). Basically every chapter was long and dull to me. That being said,:

AGoT - Sansa. I could help but hate her a lot for telling Cersei that they were about to leave and for lying to Robert about the fight between Arya and Joffery. 

ACoK - Daenerys. I already said what I had to say and although her plot in Qarth was tolerable it's still the worst of the bunch for me.

ASoS - Daenerys definitely. The worst. This whole Daario/Slaver's bay situation. Not my cup of tea.

AFfC - Aeron, but he grew on me. Again, I quite liked the book, his is just the least engaging POV. Cersei's chapters troubled me quite a lot and although I felt nauseated after every peek into her paranoid mind I enjoyed them :wideeyed:

ADwD - Quentyn without doubt. He was naive, ambitious and stupid. Enough said.

Dany is probably my least favorite in the first two books (even though I appreciate some of her stuff such as the house of the undying. I just like the other POVs more).

In ASOS, it's a tie between Dany and Chett.

In AFFC. . . I'd say Aeron or Victarion.

In ADWD : Varamir, Dany, Victarion, Quentyn or Barristan (lots of candidates). 

I'd say that in general, those characters made the list more because of the situations they're in than because of their personalities. For example, I don't find Areo himself very interesting, but I like both his chapters. And I hope Dany will be more entertaining when she lands in Westeros.

AGOT: 1. Bran, 2. Sansa, 3. Dany - It was hard to pick here because there are so few POVs and most of them at least have a few chapters. In the end I decided for Bran since the stuff going on in Winterfell after the king leaves is really boring in general.

ACOK: 1. Dany, 2. Jon, 3. Bran - I thought the Qarth stuff wasn't bad but I don't like Dany that much in general and there was only really one good chapter in her storyline in this book.

ASOS: 1. Bran, 2. Sam, 3. Dany - Bran's voyage to the Wall is just extremely boring. All the other POVs are very good or at least ok so I decided on him.

AFFC: 1. Brienne, 2. Sam, 3. Arya - I don't like Brienne very much and her chapters were boring to read most of the time.

ADWD: 1. Dany, 2. Jon, 3. Quentyn - Like I said, I'm not a Dany fan and therefore I really don't like the Meereen plot since it's basically only about her character developement.

• A Game of Thrones - Least Favorite Character is Jon Snow
  • A Clash of Kings - Least Favorite Character is Jon Snow
  • A Storm of Swords - Least Favorite Character is Jon Snow
  • A Feast for Crows - Least Favorite Character is Sansa Stark.  A close second is Sam Tarly
  • A Dance with Dragons - Least Favorite Character is Jon Snow. 

I suppose you could say, I really don't like Jon Snow. 

From the first two none. From Storm an onwards: Davos. Yeah, he is a good person and all but his character seems inert and half his chapters are about him being marooned or imprisoned and contemplating his fate with a side of Stannis worship.

Archived