Least favourite POV character per book

Ser Scott Malkinson

Least favourite POV's from each book...

A Game of Thrones: Catelyn and Sansa.

I did enjoy these POV's and the first book as a whole. Catelyn's treatment of Jon is ultimately pretty hard to justify, and Sansa is intentionally written as frustrating.

A Clash of Kings: Bran.

Bran's chapters are always wonderfully written, but wow by himself Bran really is a dull character. Daenerys is a close 2nd as I didn't particularly care for the Qarth story though the House of the Undying visions makes up for it.

A Storm of Swords: Bran.

Again, Bran is just an incredibly dull character, and becomes progressively boring the more he moves away from society. However, I did love the Knight of the Laughing tree chapter.

A Feast for Crows: Arya.

I guess I just read a different book to other people. I thoroughly enjoyed the widely criticized Brienne, Dorne and Iron Island POV's, but I absolutely loathed Arya's chapters in the House of Black and White, which is a shame considering her POV's in the first three books were so much fun. While I'm mildly interested in their connection to the Doom of Valyria, I just don't care about the Faceless Men. As a matter fact, the mythical side of ASOIAF such as the Others, Dragons and the FM really are just a means to an end. The political side of things and what makes each character tick is what drives this series, in my opinion. Arya can't return to Westeros soon enough.

Side note: the bulk of Sam's chapters here aren't particularly interesting either, but the stuff surrounding Aemon, Marwyn and the Citadel is gold.

A Dance with Dragons: Arya and Bran.

Same reasons as above.

On 4.10.2016 at 11:40 PM, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

That conversation with Jon becomes even better when seeing it from Jon's perspective, getting in on Jon's secrets while already knowing Sam's secrets. I think it is the only time we see the same interaction in 2 POV's and it works brilliantly.

Yeah that was pretty epic, wish Martin did that more often.

On 6-10-2016 at 3:32 AM, Oakhearts head said:

A Dance with Dragons: Arya and Bran.

Same reasons as above.

Wow, can't say I've ever heard of anyone disliking Bran in Dance. My interest in him really peaked when he got to the cave and we met BR and tCotF. Especially his last chapter, with the phases of the moon and the tree-visions I found great. But since you also mentioned not liking the magical side of aSoIaF, I can see why you wouldn't be as interested.

On 10/2/2016 at 1:13 AM, Heavy D said:
  • A Game of Thrones - Least Favorite Character is Jon Snow
  • A Clash of Kings - Least Favorite Character is Jon Snow
  • A Storm of Swords - Least Favorite Character is Jon Snow
  • A Feast for Crows - Least Favorite Character is Sansa Stark.  A close second is Sam Tarly
  • A Dance with Dragons - Least Favorite Character is Jon Snow. 

I suppose you could say, I really don't like Jon Snow. 

Same here.  I don't like Jon Snow.  Povs that I hated most from each book are

1. Game of Thrones = Jon Snow
  2. Clash of Kings = Arya Stark
  3. Storm of Swords = Jon Snow
  4. Feast for Crows = Sansa Stark
  5. Dance with Dragons = Jon Snow

On 10/5/2016 at 8:32 PM, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

We make our own rules! So yes, any POV, including Prologue or Epilogue, is fine. Though I find Varamyr's chapter really interesting, as all prologues and epilogues are to me, he himself is a douche.

ETA: Maybe you could choose Chett for Storm if you're struggling. He's also an asshole (I also think his chapter is quite good, though).

Concerning Aeron:

Hide contents

Did you read his WoW-chapter? It really gave me a new perspective on the character and I kinda like him now.

I guess I will say Chett actually. That chapter was okay but overall it was the least needed POV I guess. I hate Aeron with a passion still and did read that new chapter.  I wont say more since I dont know how to hide anything, but I still hate him the same as I hated him before.

26 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I guess I will say Chett actually. That chapter was okay but overall it was the least needed POV I guess. I hate Aeron with a passion still and did read that new chapter.  I wont say more since I dont know how to hide anything, but I still hate him the same as I hated him before.

1. Game of Thrones = A tie between Dany and Sansa
  2. Clash of Kings = Dany
  3. Storm of Swords = Dany
  4. Feast for Crows = All of the Greyjoy and Dorne-related viewpoints. 
  5. Dance with Dragons = Dany

Sansa starts off annoying but becomes a sympathetic and interesting character as the story progresses.  Dany starts off annoying and gets worse,  going from weak and useless to being a self-entitled, oh-so perfect spoiled brat,  and it doesn't help that her close advisors all have their heads implanted so firmly up her posterior that they can see daylight.  I keep hoping that a dragon will eat her.  And then there's all the stuff with the Greyjoys and Dorne.  Its not that its just terribly bad,  but at the point where its introduced in the story,  I just don't care.  

If I don't like a character, I also don't like their chapters.  Given that I despise Jon Snow and Sansa Stark, it is their chapters that I hated the most.

1. Game of Thrones = Jon Snow
  2. Clash of Kings = Jon Snow
  3. Storm of Swords = Jon Snow
  4. Feast for Crows = Sansa Stark
  5. Dance with Dragons = Jon Snow

• 3 weeks later...

Worst POV from each book

• Game of Thrones - Jon - he's just an annoying guy and I wish he had less chapters
  • Clash of Kings - Arya - her wanderings in the countryside was so boring I skipped the pages as soon as I saw her name in the heading
  • Storm of Swords - Jon
  • Feast for Crows - Jaime
  • Dance with Dragons - Jon

• 10 months later...

My least favourite POV's have shifted dramatically since my first read through, but I'm leaving out all of the Prologue and Epilogue POV's because none of those characters were alive long enough to outstay their welcome.

WORST POV'S PER BOOK-

GAME OF THRONES-

-Ned; his political blunders were absolutely painful to read, so much so that his death actually lost some impact.

-Arya; her precociousness really got on my nerves during my second reading, and the interesting things which happen around her later are all that saves her from being on this list for the other books.

CLASH OF KINGS-

-Tyrion; A lot of people see this book as Tyrion's highest point, and I agree- but does he have to be so obnoxious while he's at the top? His internal monologue was so relentlessly cynical and self congratulatory it made my toes curl. In Game of Thrones his ego is a little more restrained, here it's unleashed in all it's terrible glory. Luckily the political and military tactics he's a part of are what kept me invested.

STORM OF SWORDS-

-Tyrion, again; having not been very impressed with his overly cynical thought processes in the last book my dislike of him was dialled up to 11 when this book removed all of his political manoeuvring and left him to stew in his bitterly self-righteous juices. And increased the number of excruciating scenes with Shae. Fortunately they didn't last past this book.

-Sam; I was immediately put off his POV in his very first chapter. There's only so many "Mother have mercy"'s I can take. It was a horrible slog to listen to with the audiobook, and I've been put off him ever since.

FEAST FOR CROWS-

-Arianne, Areo Hotah and Arys Oakheart. Basically any POV character in Dorne. The Dornish's naivety, blind lust for vengeance and stupid decision making was frustrating to read. Doran is the only saving grace.

-Brienne's first couple of chapters where she's travelling alone were quite tedious. They felt very repetitive and I didn't feel like she had anything new or interesting to say or do. Luckily she became much more enjoyable once she started travelling with other characters and some of her later chapters became contenders for best in the series for me. I found her much more interesting when she had other characters to bounce off.

-Sam, again; I should feel empathy for Sam's cowardice, but the way he's written just makes all my potential sympathy evaporate. Most of his chapters were story-slowing bores, but the highlights of him punching Daeron and Maester Aemon's scenes got me through.

DANCE WITH DRAGONS-

I'm only just beginning my second reread and I can't remember any of the POV's for the life of me so this one needs to be appended

Not counting Prologues and Epilogues...

AGOT - Sansa. She's such a prissy, entitled brat at the start of the series.

ACOK - Theon. Not fun reading about his one screw-up after another, and I was ready to kill him myself when I thought he'd murdered Bran and Rickon.

ASOS - Sam. Would have been Jon but the Wildlings help save his chapters.

AFFC - Aeron. I understand what the Damphair doing, and what he's up against. Just don't find his thoughts all that interesting.

ADWD - Quentyn. Barristan called this one. The kid is mud, and mud is perfectly good, but it's not entertaining. I only really liked him in his last chapter and wished he could have woken up and realized what he wanted (and gone after it) before it was too late.

3 hours ago, Grazdan zo Azer said:
  • AGOT = Sansa
  • ACOK = Arya
  • ASOS = Arya
  • AFFC = Brienne
  • ADWD = Jon Snow if you know his end from the show
  • TWOW = Damphair (so far)

Fixed that for you. Also, spoilers dude. The book isn't out yet. You can't just go picking least favorites already. ;)

On 9/1/2017 at 6:02 PM, Grazdan zo Azer said:
  • AGOT = Sansa
  • ACOK = Arya
  • ASOS = Arya
  • AFFC = Brienne
  • ADWD = Jon Snow if you know his end from the show
  • AWOW = Damphair (so far)

I too hate Sansa, Arya, and Jon.  I can't stand reading Arya and Sansa's chapters.  Jon's are pretty awful too.

A Game of Thrones - Sansa. She's by far the least interesting character and a very unreliable narrator. 

A Clash of Kings - Bran. He has some great chapters after Jojen and Meera come along, but the northern politics were usually bland.

A Storm of Swords - Sam. Very difficult, because the book is near perfect all-around. But Sam accomplishes the least and is not too interesting.

A Feast for Crows - Cersei. Which pains me because I loved her chapters, but Sam had Aemon's death and Brienne had Septon Meribald.

A Dance with Dragons - Dany. Meereen politics are twice as boring as Northern politics. However, her last two chapters were pure masterpieces.  

• 6 months later...

A Game of Thrones - Sansa

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys

A Storm of Swords - Daenerys

A Feast for Crows - Brienne

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys

Sansa in the first book is so stuck up and naive it is, to be honest, laughable to read. 

I know this makes me look like I'm shitting on Daenerys, but that really isn't the case. I cant really explain it, for some reason I find her POVs incredibly boring. I've listened to all the audio books, and whenever I get to her chapters they all tend to be between 40 to 50 minutes long, and nothing (at least in my opinion) interesting happens

I have no problems with Brienne, it just seems like in this book nothing really happened, apart from her meeting Gendry and Lady Stoneheart. 

For me: 

1. A Game of Thrones: Catelyn and Sansa. Catelyn for taking Tyrion hostage and being a jerk to Jon, and Sansa for her infatuation with Joffrey, being a jerk to Arya, and running to Cersei. She gets my sympathy at the end of the book with being forced to loon on the head of Ned, but why did it need to take that long? Jon's intro chapter grated on me a bit, particularly his perception of Myrcella. She likes Robb, so she's shallow? And I though Jon loved Robb as a brother.
  2. A Clash of Kings: Arya. Thought the scenes with Tywin at Harrenhal were more interesting. 
  3. A Storm of Swords: Bran. Can't see where his plot is going. Feel like C-3PO in the desert.
  4. A Feast for Crows: Aeron. I blame him for Euron being able to get the Seastone Chair, since him being sexist towards Asha, who has proven herself as Balon's heir and Balon proclaimed her as his heir apparently isn't enough for him. Pate isn't too far behind, since I didn't feel like his prologue POV added anything.
  5. A Dance with Dragons: Daenerys and Quentyn. Kayla's Meereenese Knot from the TV series was more interesting, and Daenerys' way-skewed perception of Ned Stark grated on me, especially since she threw down Barristan's recollections of Ned. Quentyn's felt forced, especially since he wound up as... a burnout. Felt like a rather bad pun, with getting burned by Daenerys, then Rhaegal.

Least favourite POV character per book.  Basically, chapters that I hated.

A Game of Thrones - Jon Snow.  I have always disliked Jon and found him insipid. 

A Clash of Kings - Arya Stark.  I found her story arc utterly unbelievable.  I would trade all of Arya's chapters for one Littlefinger chapter. 

A Storm of Swords - Jon Snow. 

A Feast for Crows - Jaime Lannister.  I don't dislike Ser Stumpy, I just found his chapters dull.

A Dance With Dragons - Jon Snow.  I don't like the POV character and I'm not interested in what goes on in the north.  I'm glad the night's watch killed him.  Maybe we won't get any more POVs from Jon.

Archived