Least favourite POV character per book

Ser Scott Malkinson

On 3/26/2018 at 3:12 PM, kissdbyfire said:

I often feel like slapping Tyrion, especially when reading through his PoV. :D

But the Greyjoy siblings Damphair and Vic are w/o a doubt my least favourite characters in the series, full stop. 

I suppose Tyrion is solid grey.  He's true to the George Martin character type, neither white nor black.  He has some solid skills but have equal amount of faults.  

• 9 months later...

I'm reading Feast now and honestly, the Brienne chapters are so boring. They're a bit "cozy" in a way, which was the case with Arya's wandering in the Riverlands all through Clash and Storm as well, but it's nowhere near as interesting or nice to read them. I think it could possibly be - at least to a certain degree - that I've been affected by everyone else saying that Feast is "just Brienne wandering around endlessly in the Riverlands" and therefore have a negative starting point but honestly, they aren't that good anyway. 

I think there are several reasons why Brienne's chapters are considered to be among the most boring:

First of all, she's not really involved in any major player action until she meets the Brotherhood without Banners and Lady Stoneheart. She's not an important lord or lady in Westeros, like all the characters from Great Houses are, she's got no ambitions for the throne nor is she close to anyone who does. Her plotline is mostly pointless in the grand scheme of things unless you think that she's really going to find Sansa, and even then it takes her a super long time to do so so it's not necessarily worth it. She has a connection to Catelyn, Jaime and Sansa etc but the thing is that nothing related to that happens for like half the book so it's not interesting. Mostly it's just descriptions of smallfolk and soldier pines and the countryside around the Riverlands over and over again. That's the thing: Brienne's storyline doesn't pay off until the end of Feast, so she should definitely have had at least one or two chapters fewer. Also, while her character is definitely honourable, extremely strong - both physically and mentally - and noble etc, she's not the typical charismatic character. She doesn't have a "wonder child" thing like Bran, Arya or Daenerys, nor is she politically active or anything. Mostly she just thinks about having to do her duty or having been slighted or whatever. She is interesting in being a strong woman in Westeros, of course, and also her relationship to Jaime is interesting, plus her arc gives us a good world-building view of the Riverlands, but she mostly doesn't do or say anything really special, she doesn't have any great aspirations or dreams (except being a knight of course but it almost seems like she's given up on that as she lost Renly and now only has the promise to Catelyn to think about) and no great mysteries or prophecies surrounding her. Unfortunately, she's just much more boring and stiff than the other characters. And unlike Stannis, she doesn't have any gritty, teeth-grinding black humour to make up for it.

aGoT: Between Jon or Dany... They weren't bad, but they were just my least favorite. I was really focused on the Starks versus Lannisters in this book and found myself focused on that even when reading Jon and Dany chapters.

aCoK: Dany... Once again, not bad. Dany in Book 2 was actually my favorite then her other POVs. I really liked Qarth. Much more than Slavers Bay.

aSoS: Dany... There was just so much going on in Westeros, that I didn't even care about all these Slaver Bay factions

aFfC: Brienne... A huge choir, and the reward was quite predictable since it was almost a mirror of the aSoS Epilogue

aDwD: Tyrion... Another huge choir, but this time with no reward

Characters and point of views that I disliked from each volume.

Volume 1: A Game of Thrones - Sansa and Bran

Volume 2:  A Clash of Kings - Jon and Arya

Volume 3:  A Storm of Swords - Jon

Volume 4: A Feast For Crows: - Sansa

Volume 5: A Dance with Dragons - Jon and Davos

Archived