Jump to content
Ser Scott Malkinson

Least favourite POV character per book

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

From the first two none. From Storm an onwards: Davos. Yeah, he is a good person and all but his character seems inert and half his chapters are about him being marooned or imprisoned and contemplating his fate with a side of Stannis worship.

You just opened my eyes to a side of Davos that I'd been ignoring...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game: This is hard as there really isn't one. Sansa? But she's supposed to be frustrating.

Clash: Dany. This is the start of Dany as literary fingernails on chalkboard for me.

Storm: Dany, again. Everyone else is incredibly strong while Dany withers away on Essos.  

Feast: Sam beats even the Dornish contingent. Most annoying part of his chapters, other than their utter pointlessness, is Gilly. All she does is sob, lactate, sob, lactate, sob, lactate, fuck Sam, lactate, fuck Sam, lactate, fuck Sam.

Dance: Tie between Tyrion and Dany.

Edited by kimim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kimim said:

Feast: Sam beats even the Dornish contingent. Most annoying part of his chapters, other than their utter pointlessness, is Gilly. All she does is sob, lactate, sob, lactate, sob, lactate, fuck Sam, lactate, fuck Sam, lactate, fuck Sam.

But Aemon dies in Sams POV. I could never list his POV in Crows as least favorite even though I totally understand how Sam and Gilly could be perceived as annoying.

"Egg?  I dreamed that I was  old"

*quietly wipes single tear away*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Land's End said:

But Aemon dies in Sams POV. I could never list his POV in Crows as least favorite even though I totally understand how Sam and Gilly could be perceived as annoying.

"Egg?  I dreamed that I was  old"

*quietly wipes single tear away*

 

ita, that was lovely, as was Sam's conversation with Jon about the Others, the mysteriously vanished old books. Where his story is tied to the Wall, it works for me. His travels, though, are the worst of the bunch, again for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3-10-2016 at 4:03 PM, kimim said:

ita, that was lovely, as was Sam's conversation with Jon about the Others, the mysteriously vanished old books. Where his story is tied to the Wall, it works for me. His travels, though, are the worst of the bunch, again for me.

That conversation with Jon becomes even better when seeing it from Jon's perspective, getting in on Jon's secrets while already knowing Sam's secrets. I think it is the only time we see the same interaction in 2 POV's and it works brilliantly.

Sam's last chapter in Feast is also fantastic. Though the stuff in between these chapters doesn't really captivate, we do get some gems in them, such as Aemon's ramblings.

And don't tell me you didn't like the 'fat pink mast'! :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

That conversation with Jon becomes even better when seeing it from Jon's perspective, getting in on Jon's secrets while already knowing Sam's secrets. I think it is the only time we see the same interaction in 2 POV's and it works brilliantly.

Sam's last chapter in Feast is also fantastic. Though the stuff in between these chapters doesn't really captivate, we do get some gems in them, such as Aemon's ramblings.

And don't tell me you didn't like the 'fat pink mast'! :lmao: 

The fat pink mast was a thing of beauty. Maybe I should think of another awful pov in that book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kimim said:

The fat pink mast was a thing of beauty. Maybe I should think of another awful pov in that book.

A beauty only rivaled by the 'Myrish swamp'. If only we could see Sam and Taena get together in Cersei's POV... :rofl: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AGoT: Sansa, she's so naive and annoying. Yes, it makes sense, no that doesn't mean I like it either way.

ACoK: Dany. Nothing happens, then a giant foreshadowing dump chapter. 

ASoS: erm, don't really have any that stands out as bad. I guess Sam isn't a great read. Bran's journey is a bit boring, but we get lots of stories and foreshadowing to make up for it IMO.

AFfC: ye gods, lots of choices here. I'd go with Brienne. We literally know her quest is pointless before it even begins. Yes, Septon Meribald makes a good speech, no it doesn't excuse the bloated bore that are Brienne's chapters.

ADwD: Quentyn. Uninteresting character, his story is introduced and resolved too quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is hard across the board. I like most of the characters in these books.

AGoT - Hmm, this is the hardest one I think. The introductions to each character are great.I guess I will go with Sansa. I like her character arc a lot, but the plot is slower in her chapters in the first book.

ACoK - Theon. Theon's character arc is marvelous and his chapters toward the end of the book are alright, but holy crap were the two chapters in the iron islands annoying as hell. I hate Aeron. I hate Balon. I hate the ironborn. And also the scene with Theon and Asha was somewhat disturbing and ... just boring.

ASoS - This one is also hard. Can I say none? This is close to a perfect book in my opinion. A few of the Tyrion chapters are boring but the end of Tyrions arc is really good. i....cannot...choose!

AFfC - Aeron. Aeron. Aeron. I fucking hate Aeron Greyjoy and everything about him. Asha and Victorian for second place as I hate the ironborn overall, although Asha is better than some others.

ADwD - Varamyr. Can you choose an intro chapter? I have had enough of wargs eating humans just generally. I get it, wolves eat people...but why don't the wargs like leave their bodies when this happens. I like to think I would. And Varamyr was just a douche. I get the need for this possibly but at the same time...annoying chapter. If I have to choose a main PoV, I guess Asha or Victorian ...at least that ridiculous scene where Asha is counting kills...interesting things do happen in their PoVs though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is tough, I rearly dislike the POVs, but still I enjoyed some than others.

AGoT: Catelyn. I like the character, but I didn't like her actions in this book.

ACoK: Theon. I hted him because of what he has done to Winterfell

ASoS: Dany. I'm not a big fan of Dany and her story started annoying me after the 2nd book.

AFfC: Arianne, Arys. The Dorne plot didn't convince me in that book, though I like Martells.

ADwD: Dany, Tyrion, Quentyn. I didn't like the Essos storyline anyway, Tyrion's travel was too long and his bitternes and self-pitiness annoyed me to death

Edited by Ashes Of Westeros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

This is hard across the board. I like most of the characters in these books.

AGoT - Hmm, this is the hardest one I think. The introductions to each character are great.I guess I will go with Sansa. I like her character arc a lot, but the plot is slower in her chapters in the first book.

ACoK - Theon. Theon's character arc is marvelous and his chapters toward the end of the book are alright, but holy crap were the two chapters in the iron islands annoying as hell. I hate Aeron. I hate Balon. I hate the ironborn. And also the scene with Theon and Asha was somewhat disturbing and ... just boring.

ASoS - This one is also hard. Can I say none? This is close to a perfect book in my opinion. A few of the Tyrion chapters are boring but the end of Tyrions arc is really good. i....cannot...choose!

AFfC - Aeron. Aeron. Aeron. I fucking hate Aeron Greyjoy and everything about him. Asha and Victorian for second place as I hate the ironborn overall, although Asha is better than some others.

ADwD - Varamyr. Can you choose an intro chapter? I have had enough of wargs eating humans just generally. I get it, wolves eat people...but why don't the wargs like leave their bodies when this happens. I like to think I would. And Varamyr was just a douche. I get the need for this possibly but at the same time...annoying chapter. If I have to choose a main PoV, I guess Asha or Victorian ...at least that ridiculous scene where Asha is counting kills...interesting things do happen in their PoVs though. 

We make our own rules! So yes, any POV, including Prologue or Epilogue, is fine. Though I find Varamyr's chapter really interesting, as all prologues and epilogues are to me, he himself is a douche.

ETA: Maybe you could choose Chett for Storm if you're struggling. He's also an asshole (I also think his chapter is quite good, though).

Concerning Aeron:

 

Did you read his WoW-chapter? It really gave me a new perspective on the character and I kinda like him now.

Edited by Ser Scott Malkinson
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

This is tough, I rearly dislike the POVs, but still I enjoyed some than others.

AGoT: Catelyn. I like the character, but I didn't like her actions in this book.

ACoK: Theon. I hted him because of what he has done to Winterfell

ASoS: Dany. I'm not a big fan of Dany and her story started annoying me after the 2nd book.

AFfC: Arianne, Arys. The Dorne plot didn't convince me in that book, though I like Martells.

ADwD: Dany, Tyrion, Quentyn. I didn't like the Essos storyline anyway, Tyrion's travel was too long and his bitternes and self-pitiness annoyed me to death

Wow, you like the Martells but you don't like their chapters? Or did you just like Areo's?

I get Arys, he's also my choice for the weakest. And even though I liked Quentyn's story I can see why a lot of people don't. But Arianne? I thought her chapters were pretty good, especially The Pincess in the Tower (which is my favourite chapter of Feast).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

Wow, you like the Martells but you don't like their chapters? Or did you just like Areo's?

I get Arys, he's also my choice for the weakest. And even though I liked Quentyn's story I can see why a lot of people don't. But Arianne? I thought her chapters were pretty good, especially The Pincess in the Tower (which is my favourite chapter of Feast).

I liked Oberyn and Doran Martell, though they don't have POVs. But Arianne's plan to crown Myrcella was just out of place and didn't capture me at all. Arianne's chapter in TWoW was more interesting though, so probably I will change my opinion when the new book arrives.

Feast is one of my favorite books and it was hard to find a storyline which I liked less than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Bran (this is actually tough because he did have one excellent chapter when he was pushed, but overall the most boring)

2 Bran

3 Bran

4 Brienne

5 Quentyn

I have rated them as a combination of what happens in their chapters as well as how interesting it is to hear their thoughts and perspectives.

Edited by Makk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

game: Tyrion and Jon

clash: Probably Cat

asos: none!!!perfect book

feast: Areo

dance: Dany and Tyrion. Extremely boring except the last two chapters of Dany and Tyrion is terribly boring too until he finds Aegon, then boring again, finds Jorah and Penny and after that is boring again.

overall Dany in dance is the worst PoV.

sidenote: i read got after watching the show so I already knew the story. If it hadn't been for that I would have liked their chapters. It's an amazing book although not as good as ASOS prerfection.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×