Luke Cage: Tired of Buying New Clothes (Spoiler Thread)

Martell Spy

Can we amend this to reflect the same thing we do with all of the other Netflix shows and make it a Nonspoiler thread? I'd like to be able to discuss the episodes we have seen so far under spoiler tags with the episodes marked. Otherwise, people will not be able to have a discussion episode by episode. I am three episodes in right now, and this show is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

Blown away by the music choice and execution too, just wow. 

The music is great... I may be imagining, but I think the LC is far more musical and rhythmical than JJ and DD. I watched the first episode and it felt really musical. Can't say I got that impression from either JJ or DD.

Orange Power Ranger is here... I like the new colors... Hope that Tyrell rose will go green :D Then we have entire set.

25 minutes ago, Risto said:

The music is great... I may be imagining, but I think the LC is far more musical and rhythmical than JJ and DD. I watched the first episode and it felt really musical. Can't say I got that impression from either JJ or DD.

Given that most of the episodes are named after songs, this is pretty definitely a deliberate choice.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Given that most of the episodes are named after songs, this is pretty definitely a deliberate choice.

Have to say that this is rather unknown terf for me... As for LC, all I knew is that it gets released today. That's all :D 

But, I suppose you are right. I really enjoyed the music... 

Ep 2 spoiler

Spoiler

I was fooled, so it worked like a twist for me. I thought the kid would die. I thought they'd want to keep Pop and the barber shop around a while.

I'm in the middle of ep 3. Fantastic music every ep. It seems to be a real strength of the show.

It's been a slow burn in the early eps, but it's really worked so far. Looks like things are going up to a higher gear though. Just saw some great action. 

Misty Knight, Cottonmouth, and Shades are all awesome. They've effortlessly created a set of main characters as solid as any of the Marvel Netflix shows. And there's some ominous figure in the background we haven't even met yet. Really psyched to see where this all goes.

Couple great locations, in the barber shop and club.

I love Cottonmouth. I felt something for him immediately when with Fisk and Kilgrave it took me episodes and small moments for me to feel something for them. I like that he respects Pops and has a history with Harlem. 

Luke is awesome and Mike Colton sizzles swag. 

Misty Knight gives me life. 

Watched the first two episodes so far and I'm as impressed as everyone else. Superb music choice, wonderful characters and although it's a slow burn at the minute the plot is interesting me. Shaping up to be another success for Marvel Netflix

I love how much black history is invoked in this series.  The history provided is as much musical and literary, as much as it's about sports and political activism too. Just love that!  If one is paying attention at all, the viewer has to understand how much USian history IS black history -- as front and center, not a sidebar.

The discussions among the characters about moral matters really works for me too. It's so seldom . . . .

The club, with the overlook, and the private round window -- shades of HBO's  Nucky Thompson's Boardwalk Empire.

In reality these days Harlem isn't very dangerous at all - west Harlem anyway.  It's so gentrified with white folks that it is as Mariah says, it's not been just invaded, but taken over.

Those kinds of drug wars aren't happening either between Spanish Harlem and Black Harlem -- in the still seriously impoverished ever-shrinking parts of the Bronx -- maybe.

A bit of lazy writing that, just as an episode of Mysteries of Laura shows Washington Square Park as a hotbed of druggies and selling of drugs. No way, and not been that way in decades.

NYC is RICH PEOPLE'slandia, and tourists.  And, perhaps would-be terrorists.

Our big criminals are all corporate: real estate, banking, stocks and bonds.

Hell's Kitchen is lux these days, too. This is the Marvel U. For the purposes of these shows, the locales are gritty. I think it's easy enough to suspend disbelief. I don't find it lazy at all -- in the Marvel Universe, Harlem is a hotspot for trouble.

Just got to the episode where Rosario appears. Every time she shows up on a Marvel Netflix show, an angel gets its wings.

Minor nitpick, but it seems odd that (episode three spoilers)

Well first the idea that they were taking donations or grant money or whatever and using it to remodel Cottonmouth's club seemed off. If he's the head of a criminal enterprise why did he need Mariah's money? Especially since using that money was so risky for her, and it was only to remodel a club, not exactly some urgent expense. And now we find out he's got $7 million cash on hand? So the whole "we need that million dollars they stole back now or my political career is over" thing seems really odd. Also going to war with Domingo over $1 million when he should know he's in the wrong, they didn't get what they paid for. 

But other than that and the occasional clunky line ("I've got to get that trademark") I'm really enjoying it.

Edit: I've counted three The Wire actors so far. I'm still hoping Micheal K. Williams will reprise his role of "Harlem Bystander" from The Incredible Hulk.

Also whoever came up with "Ghengis Connie's" is amazing.

3 episodes in so far. I like it, but I'm not sure yet that is at the same level as DD and JJ. I am completely unfamiliar with the history and culture of Harlem, and that's not the style of music I listen to, so all those references are just blowing past my head. 

I do like the characters. Cottonmouth is a good villain, but I wouldn't put him next to Fisk just yet. And Kilgrave is a whole different type of villain, great in his own way. I did get sold on Cottonmouth at the end of episode 3, thanks to

Spoiler

the rocket launcher. Also, not surprised that the white cop is dirty (either that or he would have died early). The trailers pretty much confirmed Pop was going to die, and early, too, so no surprise there. In fact, the trailers pretty much covered the first 3 episodes, so from now on it should get really interesting.

What's the timeline for this show in regards to DD and JJ?

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

3 episodes in so far. I like it, but I'm not sure yet that is at the same level as DD and JJ. I am completely unfamiliar with the history and culture of Harlem, and that's not the style of music I listen to, so all those references are just blowing past my head. 

I do like the characters. Cottonmouth is a good villain, but I wouldn't put him next to Fisk just yet. And Kilgrave is a whole different type of villain, great in his own way. I did get sold on Cottonmouth at the end of episode 3, thanks to

Hide contents

the rocket launcher. Also, not surprised that the white cop is dirty (either that or he would have died early). The trailers pretty much confirmed Pop was going to die, and early, too, so no surprise there. In fact, the trailers pretty much covered the first 3 episodes, so from now on it should get really interesting.

I think this is months after JJ cause Pops mentioned in the first episode about Jessica shooting him with a shotgun. And I think Charlie Cox mentioned that Luke Cage happens in the middle of DD season 2. 

New York is a dangerous place in the Marvel Universe. 

39 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

After. It seems to basically follow the general MCU rule where everything occurs in roughly real time unless otherwise stated. 

34 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Luke Cage happens in the middle of DD season 2. 

Huh, I never heard that. I could buy that some of Daredevil season two occurs after some of Luke Cage. but Claire mentions her experiences with The Hand which were towards the end of the last Daredevil season. If anything I think Daredevil season two may have slightly overlapped with Luke Cage season one. With Claire moving back to Harlem right after losing her job at the hospital in the antepenultimate episode of Daredevil season two. Then she has that conversation with her mom in Luke Cage talking about her dismissal and her future. It seems like something that should have happened right after she was fired. She seemed pretty close with her mom.

Well, I'm not a Marvel Universe - Comix follower at all.

Luke Cage has got me because it centers Stuff that deeply matters to me.

I liked Jennifer Jones because it too centered the working class, the unprivileged.

But I know my NYC and I do spend a lot of time up at 110 and upward from there, and have for years, etc. So I can't help but think of that.

All that said, I'm loving this LC series immensely, but it has NOTHING at all to do with Marvel comix and its universe. (Mostly I stay far away from these bloated Comix superhero movies, etc.)  And that should be the point of how well this series is rolling right?  That somebody who gives not a damn about Marvel etc., is quite enthralled?  So much so that tonight I watched far too much and have a headache therefrom.  However, having watched way too much, I ask a question here:

Spoiler

Does Reva's appearance and that of Misty have a resemblence to you all?

That Luke was grieving for Reva is one of the most primary things I took away from the Jessica Jones series.  I'm glad to get to know her a bit.  Don't feel I'm missing anything by not doing the comix -- which again should be the point, at least for netflix -- it can't depend only on comix fans, right?

Archived