Luke Cage: Tired of Buying New Clothes (Spoiler Thread)

Martell Spy

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The 'for real' was referring to your

claim that either season of DD had less action in the second half than the first.

Action scenes totally need support, or to be support, for the character work, especially in a series, true. But the second halves of DDS2 and of Luke Cage were steps down because the character work (particularly on the villains) was a step down on the first, not because there were more action scenes (which I don't think was at all the case in either). It's probably also the case that the action simply wasn't as good, too, though.

It's also the case that, especially in Daredevil, the action scenes are all the same, aside from the first fight with Nobu which was awesome.

13 hours ago, sperry said:

It's also the case that, especially in Daredevil, the action scenes are all the same, aside from the first fight with Nobu which was awesome.

The Punisher fight was not at all the same. But the rest? Yeah, probably. JJ did fine without a lot of fighting, and the fighting they did have was both emotionally resonant and fairly awesome.

Finally finished the series, and holy crap, that Diamondback fight and costume was deeply embarrassing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

That trailer didn't do a lot for me. There's not much new there. The villain having what appears to be the same exact powers as Cage is even more of a turnoff. Also.. instead of shooting him, can they not try and electrocute him? Set a trap on a boat and drown him? Suffocate him? Throw acid at him? Poison him?

I dunno . . . . It could be quite interesting to see how two equally strong and invulnerable guys duke it out -- if one really likes watching duke outs between comic book types.  I'm not.  It's so sad.  I really liked Luke Cage at the start of his series, and then it became the same old same old comic book slam bam wham blooey, which gets really tired really fast.  Sigh.

Trailer looks good. But lets be honest, making a snappy trailer with good music isn't that hard. Mariah and Bushman, should be good villains, let's just hope Bushman isn't generic boring crazy like Diamondback.

And damn is Mike Colter just a good looking dude.

I'm just wondering to myself if some of these might be better off as 10 episodes than 13. I really felt with Iron Fist, Punisher and Jessica Jones 2, there were some real filler episodes. Just spinning the wheels until they got near the end. I watched all of them sporadically, they just didn't hold my attention the way DD1 and JJ1 did.

16 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Trailer looks good. But lets be honest, making a snappy trailer with good music isn't that hard. Mariah and Bushman, should be good villains, let's just hope Bushman isn't generic boring crazy like Diamondback.

And damn is Mike Colter just a good looking dude.

I'm just wondering to myself if some of these might be better off as 10 episodes than 13. I really felt with Iron Fist, Punisher and Jessica Jones 2, there were some real filler episodes. Just spinning the wheels until they got near the end. I watched all of them sporadically, they just didn't hold my attention the way DD1 and JJ1 did.

All of these would be better off with fewer episodes.

I wonder what drives the number of episodes a season gets. I get for TV it means more advertising but the Netflix model doesn't rely on that and they release everything at once for binge purposes anyway.

Yeah. But advertising or not, presumably Netflix still prefer that you watch for 13 hours rather than 8. Even if it's only about giving viewers a sense of value for money or getting them to stay on Netflix instead of using another streaming service to watch another program.

In the case of the Marvel Netflix series specifically, it's almost certainly the case that the original deal specified 13 episodes per season (with an exception for The Defenders) and it's as simple as that. 

Personally, I think the issue is that the writing in terms of pacing on these shows simply isn't that good. Defenders was 8 episodes but it still dragged so I don't see how making the seasons shorter would fix the problems - I suspect they'd still drag even with less time, or worse they'd come up with a different story from that of a 13 hour one so that they can make a 8 hour show with pacing issues (which is exactly what happened with Defenders). It just feels like it's in the DNA of these shows at this point. The Punisher could have been shorter but at least they made most episodes feel like episodes where he sets out to do something and does it which is more than we can hope for with the other shows.

I've mentioned it before but I think the Defenders shows could probably benefit from 1-2 part stories with a season arc. Jessicca Jones should be dealing with actual cases with some big over-arching case. The Punisher should be tackling various criminals. Iron Fist should be sitting in board meetings and striking new deals to help the city out (kidding - this show needs a complete overhaul. I don't know, I just feel they are missing out on a great opportunity with these "street level" heroes to not have them actually fighting crime. The new Luke Cage trailer suggests he might be doing that but he'll probably wind up spending 8 episodes getting beat up then trying to take down the season's villain.

The shows strengths tend to be with the lead cast and the villains are generally good. They are also good at setting a particular vibe (Luke Cage was probably the best at this in terms of being super cool).At this point one of my favourite aspects tends to be the soundtracks of the shows; luke cage and Iron Fist I tend to listen to still.

I really hope Misty Knight's arm doesn't feature as prominently as the robot arm in "Altered Carbon". I've had enough of super strong arm's this year in TV.

I wish that they'd let Mariah to become a villain in her own right, rather than the patsy of various dudes. Minority opinion here, but I thought that she was far more interesting than Cottonmouth. Diamondback was awful, of course, although his youthful  backstory with Carl was somewhat interesting, IMHO. Here is to hoping that even after the egregiously brainless decision by the shadowy research organization to gift him with super-powers (like, really?!!!), he still won't show up in any of the series again. 

On 5/8/2018 at 2:00 PM, WarGalley said:

That trailer didn't do a lot for me. There's not much new there. The villain having what appears to be the same exact powers as Cage is even more of a turnoff. Also.. instead of shooting him, can they not try and electrocute him? Set a trap on a boat and drown him? Suffocate him? Throw acid at him? Poison him?

All good options, except for the throwing acid option. His skin is impervious to acid, and I assume that also means his eyes. But he is super strong, so mostly you need to incapacitate him pretty quickly otherwise he's like to get out of whatever bind you put him in. So it's not the killing that's the hard part, it's the controlling him until you can make him dead.

Archived