Luke Cage: Tired of Buying New Clothes (Spoiler Thread)

Martell Spy

I'm 4 eps in.... loving it so far.... it has a distinctly different vibe than the other two shows, which are different from each other.... which is to say that Netflix gives enough of a shit to treat each of these properties individually, rather than just with a formulaic "Lets do what we did last time" kind of way...

.... Totally crushing on Simone Missick

.... Frank Whalley is killing it...

.... Alfre Woodard is an amazing  actress 

.... Juice!....lol

.... and the music is friggin' fantastic...

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

After. It seems to basically follow the general MCU rule where everything occurs in roughly real time unless otherwise stated. 

Huh, I never heard that. I could buy that some of Daredevil season two occurs after some of Luke Cage. but Claire mentions her experiences with The Hand which were towards the end of the last Daredevil season. If anything I think Daredevil season two may have slightly overlapped with Luke Cage season one. With Claire moving back to Harlem right after losing her job at the hospital in the antepenultimate episode of Daredevil season two. Then she has that conversation with her mom in Luke Cage talking about her dismissal and her future. It seems like something that should have happened right after she was fired. She seemed pretty close with her mom.

I'm two episodes in and it felt odd that

Spoiler

Turk was there. Wasn't he in jail or busted up towards the end of DD season 2? I'm not sure what the timeline is, however.

Haha, D Nice playing the club.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Minor nitpick, but it seems odd that (episode three spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

Well first the idea that they were taking donations or grant money or whatever and using it to remodel Cottonmouth's club seemed off. If he's the head of a criminal enterprise why did he need Mariah's money? Especially since using that money was so risky for her, and it was only to remodel a club, not exactly some urgent expense. And now we find out he's got $7 million cash on hand? So the whole "we need that million dollars they stole back now or my political career is over" thing seems really odd. Also going to war with Domingo over $1 million when he should know he's in the wrong, they didn't get what they paid for. 

But other than that and the occasional clunky line ("I've got to get that trademark") I'm really enjoying it.

Edit: I've counted three The Wire actors so far. I'm still hoping Micheal K. Williams will reprise his role of "Harlem Bystander" from The Incredible Hulk.

Also whoever came up with "Ghengis Connie's" is amazing.

I thought that was Butchie who sold Luke the magazine in the first episode. "Ollie" I think his character's name was.

I've watched the first 4 episodes and suddenly realized It's 5am right now... Loving this show.

Probably my favorite part is in episode 4 where...

just after he has busted out of jail and he's got the restraints on his head and wrists from the experiment, then puts on the yellow shirt that shows off gratuitous amounts of chest then, upon looking in the car window remarks that he looks like an idiot. Just about died laughing because, for those unaware, that is the costume he originally wore in the comics.

18 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'm two episodes in and it felt odd that

Reveal hidden contents

Turk was there. Wasn't he in jail or busted up towards the end of DD season 2? I'm not sure what the timeline is, however.

Haha, D Nice playing the club.

I thought that was Butchie who sold Luke the magazine in the first episode. "Ollie" I think his character's name was.

Oh yeah forgot about him. Also he wasn't on the wire but I was glad to see the guy who played Dunn Purnsley on Boardwalk Empire show up. 

I'm done. Overall I really liked it. I've never read any of Luke Cage's solo/early stuff so I was pretty unfamiliar some characters and with what way things might go. I think Daredevil at it's best was better, but Luke Cage has a more even quality throughout and unlike the earlier two show it doesn't run out of steam at episode 10 but keeps it up fairly well.

Spoiler s for everything

Spoiler

Mike Colter is great as Luke Cage and he both looks and feel the part. Misty Knight was was also great and I really hope we get to see more of her, preferably in Iron Fist. Over all it was a great cast and it's always fun to see some actor from The Wire pop up in Marvel stuff. The music was fantastic too. Although the clean version of Bring Da Ruckus sound ridiculous. Plus I loved the bit where they quoted that Lemonade line from DWYCK.  

I actually wasn't that surprised by Diamondback supplanting Cottonmouth as the main antagonist. It seemed clear from the first time they mentioned his name that Diamondback was going to be playing a larger role later on, plus Cottonmouth just never felt like a real threat against Luke Cage. However Mahershala Ali was great and I wasn't expecting him to go out quite that early and not in that way, although having Mariah kill him was way more interesting than having any one else do it.

Diamondback was a bit hit and miss. He was great to start with but after episode 11 he started to feel a bit tired and ridiculous. Plus that super awful supersuit didn't really help things,that thing looked like it came straight out of a cheap sci-fi show. The real star of the villainous show for though was Shades. He was a great, interesting and formidable character even without any superpowers or helpful tech and Theo Rossi was great role. I really hope to see more of him in a future Marvel Netflix show. 

My least favourite part show, except for DB's supersuit, was probably the radio scene with Method Man. That just felt really clumsy and heavyhanded and like it was only inserted because they could have more of Meth, whom should really have been kept only as a one-scene-cameo. I wasn't a big fan of the romance between Luke and Claire either. There was some pretty predictable shit in there too, like Pop's death, Det. Scarfe being corrupt and the deaths of Chico and Candance.

On a side note, how come they can say the N-word but they can't say 'fuck'? Shouldn't the former be worse than the later?

Just finished episode four, which I thought was the best so far. One minor gripe

Not sure I found the development of a relationship between Luke and Reva all that convincing just from this episode. From Jessica Jones I know he obviously felt very strongly for her, but I didn't feel like that was warranted after episode four. Hoping there is more stuff about Reva the remainder of the season to make their relationship more convincing. But otherwise this show is awesome

I definitely agree with you Helena. I'm enjoying the setting and vibe immensely. Great mix of blaxploitation pulp (the best parts of which feel so much like Black Dynamite, which I absolutely adore), crime procedural, and comic book absurdity. Damn do I love the music. Hooked on the spotify playlist all day now.

Spoiler

I feel like his relationship with Jessica Jones felt much less forced than the flashback scene. The entire prison flashback I kind of zoned out on. Weakest part of the show. I feel like Harlem itself is the best part of this show. Then again, I'm where you are, 4 episodes in, so maybe we'll see some more soon to see that couple 

One other thing about Reva (episode four or five spoilers)

I'd have to re-watch Jessica Jones, I thought the reason Killgrave was after her was because she had information about the experiments that gave him his powers. I think a lot of us assumed at the time that he and Cage were part of the same program, but obviously young Killgrave wasn't a prisoner at Seagate. I'm not ready to call it a continuity error, because it's possible she worked with Killgrave's parents before going to work at the prison. But it does seem a little odd. I'd love to learn more about the organization that she and the doctor (who will always be Levy from The Wire to me) worked for. Maybe they're tied to that other doctor who treated Nuke, but as I recall he was military. 

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

On a side note, how come they can say the N-word but they can't say 'fuck'? Shouldn't the former be worse than the later?

They can say anything they want on Netflix, I guess it's a Disney edict that they shouldn't say fuck. Which is just as well. As much as I enjoy the word and it's many variations, it would add to the tonal dissonance if only the Netflix characters could use it. 

Have they dropped the N-bomb? I remember a lot of "nigga" but don't recall a hard N-Word. Though I've never really understood why one is more acceptable than the other. I agree it's way worse than fuck. 

we're ten episodes in... we'll finish it tomorrow...  the amount of callbacks to the DD and JJ series are significant insofar as they've really outlined this well... they're not shoehorned in like on Shield.... they're all part of the same plot.... so in the regard..... well done.

I'll post again with my official review after I finish the series and get depressed that it's over....

Also...

2000 posts!

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

One other thing about Reva (episode four or five spoilers)

Hide contents

I'd have to re-watch Jessica Jones, I thought the reason Killgrave was after her was because she had information about the experiments that gave him his powers. I think a lot of us assumed at the time that he and Cage were part of the same program, but obviously young Killgrave wasn't a prisoner at Seagate. I'm not ready to call it a continuity error, because it's possible she worked with Killgrave's parents before going to work at the prison. But it does seem a little odd. I'd love to learn more about the organization that she and the doctor (who will always be Levy from The Wire to me) worked for. Maybe they're tied to that other doctor who treated Nuke, but as I recall he was military. 

They can say anything they want on Netflix, I guess it's a Disney edict that they shouldn't say fuck. Which is just as well. As much as I enjoy the word and it's many variations, it would add to the tonal dissonance if only the Netflix characters could use it. 

Have they dropped the N-bomb? I remember a lot of "nigga" but don't recall a hard N-Word. Though I've never really understood why one is more acceptable than the other. I agree it's way worse than fuck. 

It's a big thing for Cage that people NOT call him, or each other, the n word.  It's black pride in black history, trying to get even the African American thugs all around him to understand that African Americans and what they have done and are doing are USian history and culture, centered, stage front, not  a sidebar or off in the wings.

There's quite a dramatic scene about that in the second episode, iirc.

IOW, the n-word has historical, social, political and cultural baggage of a kind that the mere expletitive eff word does not.  Luke Cage is absolutely non-negotiating about that.

55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It's a big thing for Cage that people NOT call him, or each other, the n word.  It's black pride in black history, trying to get even the African American thugs all around him to understand that African Americans and what they have done and are doing are USian history and culture, centered, stage front, not  a sidebar or off in the wings.

There's quite a dramatic scene about that in the second episode, iirc.

IOW, the n-word has historical, social, political and cultural baggage of a kind that the mere expletitive eff word does not.  Luke Cage is absolutely non-negotiating about that.

Oh I understand , but I thought I'd only heard "nigga" so far. I'm almost sure when he says "not tired enough to let you call me that word" the word in question was "nigga" rather than "nigger." again it's weird to me that that's a meaningful distinction, but it is. It's been a long time since I listened to FM radio but I'm almost certain they don't bleep "nigga."

I like the show, but it's probably my least favorite Marvel Netflix show thus far. I'm on ep9 now, and Lou from Rescue Me showed up, so that's pretty cool. The origin episode for Luke was my favorite so far (You look like a damned fool!) and I also liked the origin flashbacks of Black Mariah and Cottonmouth. They're not as interesting villains as Fisk but still interesting enough. Misty is well cast, and her character is growing more rounded with each episode. Frank Whaley is also good in his part and Rosario Dawson returning as Claire Temple is a nice connective thread even if her character is so far rather one note. Juice walking around wearing shades as discount cholo Neo is laughable.

Frankie Faison played his part as neighborhood patriarch well, and his performance really helped convincingly set up that Cage would come out of hiding (RIP Pop.) 

Diamondback showing up in ep. 8 was great. I read the Marvel wiki on Cage, and apparently they're changing the origin a bit. Luke's brother and Stryker were different people in the comics, but it makes sense to combine the two for the show.

That acid bath shit at the end of ep9 is bonkers and so very comic-booky. I loved it. I'm eager to see how it all plays out int he last four episodes.

9 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I'm done. Overall I really liked it. I've never read any of Luke Cage's solo/early stuff so I was pretty unfamiliar some characters and with what way things might go. I think Daredevil at it's best was better, but Luke Cage has a more even quality throughout and unlike the earlier two show it doesn't run out of steam at episode 10 but keeps it up fairly well.

Spoiler s for everything

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Colter is great as Luke Cage and he both looks and feel the part. Misty Knight was was also great and I really hope we get to see more of her, preferably in Iron Fist. Over all it was a great cast and it's always fun to see some actor from The Wire pop up in Marvel stuff. The music was fantastic too. Although the clean version of Bring Da Ruckus sound ridiculous. Plus I loved the bit where they quoted that Lemonade line from DWYCK.  

I actually wasn't that surprised by Diamondback supplanting Cottonmouth as the main antagonist. It seemed clear from the first time they mentioned his name that Diamondback was going to be playing a larger role later on, plus Cottonmouth just never felt like a real threat against Luke Cage. However Mahershala Ali was great and I wasn't expecting him to go out quite that early and not in that way, although having Mariah kill him was way more interesting than having any one else do it.

Diamondback was a bit hit and miss. He was great to start with but after episode 11 he started to feel a bit tired and ridiculous. Plus that super awful supersuit didn't really help things,that thing looked like it came straight out of a cheap sci-fi show. The real star of the villainous show for though was Shades. He was a great, interesting and formidable character even without any superpowers or helpful tech and Theo Rossi was great role. I really hope to see more of him in a future Marvel Netflix show. 

My least favourite part show, except for DB's supersuit, was probably the radio scene with Method Man. That just felt really clumsy and heavyhanded and like it was only inserted because they could have more of Meth, whom should really have been kept only as a one-scene-cameo. I wasn't a big fan of the romance between Luke and Claire either. There was some pretty predictable shit in there too, like Pop's death, Det. Scarfe being corrupt and the deaths of Chico and Candance.

They aren't using the "N"  word. Why do white people still not understand that there are two versions of this word, with one version ending in R and the other in A. The latter is used all across the hip hop genre and is acceptable for use in the African American community (at least according to some people).

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

I thought "nigga" is the N-word you talked about... I will now have to google it :D 

2 hours ago, Relic said:

They aren't using the "N"  word. Why do white people still not understand that there are two versions of this word, with one version ending in R and the other in A. The latter is used all across the hip hop genre and is acceptable for use in the African American community (at least according to some people).

There's no appreciable audible difference between the two words to my British ears.

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Nor to my American ears..... its the same word....

no....its not.

One ends with a hard R, the other ends with a A. It's certainly not the same word. 

Archived