Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

I'm suitably entertained by IF2 up to Ep. 6 so not reading any other posts right now.

Seems there are some grave doubts about a Defenders Season 2. If they don't actively have that in the works then I'm guessing Netflix may end up axing some of the solo shows, and I'm guessing IF will be the first for the chop.  Honestly, I think they should amalgamate Luke Cage with Iron Fist (with Luke being the headliner and Iron Fist being in 3 or 4 episodes). Get that friendship from the comics really going, a true bromance that the show so far seems to be half-arsing. Luke and Jessica name their daughter after Danny Rand. I think I've given up on Netflix actually shipping JJ and LC, not sure why, their steamy romance was great in JJ1. So I don't expect a little Dani to turn up. But surely the bromance could come through. Though I'm not really sure how the Netflix characterization of Iron Fist can really become bros with Luke.

I thought they actually had decent chemistry together in the episode he showed up in LC S2, I could buy them working together. It was why I decided to give IFS2 a go and I did enjoy it, I loved Colleen's tattoo and most of what they did with her character and all of the stuff with Misty. Bring on the show of them paired up.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

I thought they actually had decent chemistry together in the episode he showed up in LC S2, I could buy them working together. It was why I decided to give IFS2 a go and I did enjoy it, I loved Colleen's tattoo and most of what they did with her character and all of the stuff with Misty. Bring on the show of them paired up.

I agree with all of this, IF and LC work really well together, Misty and Colleen are fantastic together and far more interesting than anything that is solely Danny related. Pair them off either as a single show or two separate shows. I think the former because Misty and Colleen both have significant and presumably lasting connections with Luke and Danny so there should really be frequent crossover anyway (which, to be fair, has started to happen already). Plus it should help pacing to have have two hero pairs in one series. Where there is a necessary slow episode for one the other keeps momentum going with other stuff.

Claire would also pop up regularly but hopefully continues to weave through all the shows. There is certainly more to look at with her and Luke and I hope they do go back to address  his violence and aggression towards her

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I agree with all of this, IF and LC work really well together, Misty and Colleen are fantastic together and far more interesting than anything that is solely Danny related. Pair them off either as a single show or two separate shows.

I think that unfortunately this is unlikely to happen for rights-related reasons. 

What I mean is, when this is suggested it's normally expected to happen under the banner of 'Heroes for Hire' and/or 'Daughters of the Dragon'. But both of these titles are IP owned by Marvel and not, so far as can be gleaned, covered by the existing Marvel/Netflix agreement. There's really no percentage in Marvel handing over rights to use any more IP to Netflix at this point, so I don't expect it to happen. At least, not in this way. I do expect we'll see, in both Iron Fist and Luke Cage and possibly in the other series too, many Danny/Luke and Misty/Colleen team-ups. 

Claire would also pop up regularly but hopefully continues to weave through all the shows. There is certainly more to look at with her and Luke and I hope they do go back to address  his violence and aggression towards her

I think if Claire didn't come back at the end of LCS2, she isn't coming back at all. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I think that unfortunately this is unlikely to happen for rights-related reasons. 

What I mean is, when this is suggested it's normally expected to happen under the banner of 'Heroes for Hire' and/or 'Daughters of the Dragon'. But both of these titles are IP owned by Marvel and not, so far as can be gleaned, covered by the existing Marvel/Netflix agreement. There's really no percentage in Marvel handing over rights to use any more IP to Netflix at this point, so I don't expect it to happen. At least, not in this way. I do expect we'll see, in both Iron Fist and Luke Cage and possibly in the other series too, many Danny/Luke and Misty/Colleen team-ups. 

I think if Claire didn't come back at the end of LCS2, she isn't coming back at all. 

That’s a shame. I don’t follow the comics or really know what the situation is with Netflix and the Marvel rights so I was really just speaking from a personal preference. But kind of sucks if it’s not feasible :( 

As for Claire, fair point. The one sliver of hope is that she was at least mentioned then, although you are probably correct. Is this a further issue on rights? Or is this a writing decision, or something on the part of Rosario Dawson do you know?

That’s a shame. I don’t follow the comics or really know what the situation is with Netflix and the Marvel rights so I was really just speaking from a personal preference. But kind of sucks if it’s not feasible :( 

I don't think it is. It's just about possible that the original deal included rights to use those terms, but if so, Netflix have been incredibly coy about referencing them during the shows up to now. 

As for Claire, fair point. The one sliver of hope is that she was at least mentioned then, although you are probably correct. Is this a further issue on rights? Or is this a writing decision, or something on the part of Rosario Dawson do you know?

I don't know for sure. I've seen the article RumHam mentions, and the final mention in LCS2 is so awkwardly and obviously avoiding putting Rosario on screen that I have to conclude they were avoiding it for a reason, probably contractual or financial. 

4 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Very nice.

Mild Speculation:

Hide contents

Guessing that's Bullseye, has anyone been announced for him?

Wilson Bethel. IMDB has him as "FBI Agent" but netflix has said he's playing Benjamin Poindexter (really?) who is apparently an alias of Bullseye. 

4 hours ago, Budgie said:

New trailer I'm excited about this one!

That is a really good trailer. I do think Bullseye is the key to this season. Really hope we get a good deal of character background, motivation and personal rivalry with Daredevil. 

Just caught up on Iron Fist. I thought it was a good idea to stop watching the Netflix shows the second they came out, but of course I waited too long and then had to power through 3 complete seasons in a month or so. Sheesh. Of the three, Jessica Jones S2 was by far the best (but not as good as S1), then Iron Fist S2 deserves some kind of award for being the first Netflix MCU show to improve in its second season instead of get worse, and then Luke Cage S2 was an utter, monumental disaster in pacing.

Interesting that Netflix hasn't renewed Luke Cage or Iron Fist yet. I'd have thought they would have renewed both pretty quickly like last time, so it would appear there's a problem of some kind. Possibly one or both shows bombed in viewings and Netflix now have cold feet over the whole thing and are waiting to see how Daredevil fares, or they're starting to run into the rights issues with Marvel. I couldn't see Marvel (via ABC) continuing to make shows for a rival streaming service, but it looks like there's time to squeeze at least one more season of the two shows in before the hammer comes down in Autumn 2019 (that's assuming there isn't a clause that allows Netflix to keep making the shows after that date). Combining the two for a final party would be a good idea, but the cliffhanger endings to both season don't seem conducive to that.

That said, as of Jessica Jones S3 (which has finished shooting so should air in the February slot) there will 13 seasons and ~161 episodes (assuming JJ3 and Punisher 2 are both 13 eps) in this setting which is a lot, especially considering that only two of them are stone-cold classic seasons of TV. Time, I think, to consider letting it end.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, Shaun Snow said:

Liking it. Plot looks good, if a two minute trailer can be enough to judge it on.

It depends on whether the plot revealed in the two minute trailer is spread over 6 episodes. 

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Just caught up on Iron Fist. I thought it was a good idea to stop watching the Netflix shows the second they came out, but of course I waited too long and then had to power through 3 complete seasons in a month or so. Sheesh. Of the three, Jessica Jones S2 was by far the best (but not as good as S1), then Iron Fist S2 deserves some kind of award for being the first Netflix MCU show to improve in its second season instead of get worse, and then Luke Cage S2 was an utter, monumental disaster in pacing.

That said, as of Jessica Jones S3 (which has finished shooting so should air in the February slot) there will 13 seasons and ~161 episodes (assuming JJ3 and Punisher 2 are both 13 eps) in this setting which is a lot, especially considering that only two of them are stone-cold classic seasons of TV. Time, I think, to consider letting it end.

I'm just going to check out Daredevil season 3 at this point. If that disappoints there's only Punisher S2 I'm going to bother with as that was the last Marvel Netflix show I actually fully enjoyed since Jessica Jones season 1. I think we've had too many seasons too fast - they almost doubled their total output in the space of a year. I don't really want to commit a substantial amount of my tv viewing solely to Marvel shows when there's so much better TV out there. It was a similar issue with the DC shows - none of them were awful but I couldn't justify watching 3 shows a week when I can manage around 7 shows a week.

Although I am coming down with a cold that's making it hard to sleep so JJ2 might get completed and IF2 might still get started.

Just now, RumHam said:

I figured Daredevil would be shorted to ten episodes also too but apparently it's thirteen. I guess they just shortened Iron Fist cause of the poor reception the first season got. 

I think Iron Fist was a bit of a test to see if ten works. But DD would have been nearly finished by the time it aired so no time to change plans for pacing. I hope they go with 10 going forward.

Archived