Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

7 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Yeah, if anything ties in I suspect it will be explained.

Mary really should be in it, but I guess we'll see.

I'd imagine that she'll at least make an appearance, but I suspect we won't see Typhoid Mary until Luke Cage S3 (if it happens) or Daredevil S4.

5 episodes down.

Spoiler

Fisk is very welcome back, especially since he is working for the Feds so isn't doing any overt criminal shit, just completely manipulating everyone around him and mocking Team DD because they can't touch him, and then sending the FBI after them by claiming Murdoch was his legal fixer. Some clever, evil stuff going on there.

Bullseye also not starting off as Bullseye and the show providing his origin story is a clever move, adds another strand to the series to help it feel worthy of 13 episodes (I was hoping for 10 after Iron Fist but there we go).

First two episodes of Matt moping around like a lame-arse was tedious, but to be fair they did move on from it relatively quickly. Foggy and Karen also get really good new storylines. Also interesting that, so far and from the cast list, there is absolutely zero tie-in with the rest of the MCU at all.

This season's version of the "hallway fight" is very much The Lord of the Rings to the S1 hall fight's The Hobbit. An apparent 16 minute continuous tracking shot taking in both fight scenes and one very intense dramatic stand-off between actors followed by another fight scene. I don't buy it was a one-shot (the bit he's dragged through the dark doorway to meet the Albanians is likely a hidden cut, followed by another when he goes back into the prison) but it was impressive as fuck anyway. Definitely made the stairwell fight in Season 2 feel a bit half-arsed in comparison.

So far, pretty strong. Almost as good as S1, better than S2 so far.

Almost done with episode 4.

First, why is it that DD is always the most consistently excellent of the Netflix shows? They've swapped around showrunners, and yet the show still works aside from S2's second half which was definitely just the usual Marvel Netflix issue of too many episodes. Now, the characters are ones I am familiar with, and Daredevil is one of my very favorite characters, and they're drawing from the deep well of some of the finest stories ever put into a superhero comic.... but it goes beyond that, because the cinematography is always a cut above (matched only by bits of Luke Cage S1; by comparison, the other show that can claim to be as well-written as DD, Jessica Jones, has had very forgettable cinematography) and we don't even really need to talk about the fight choreography.

Although...

Spoiler

The 11 minute one-take -- which, per http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/daredevil/feature/a868790/daredevil-season-3-episode-4-prison-fight-hallway-single-take-long-shot/, was _genuinely_ one take (the two black spots were intended to be places they could cut if needed, but they didn't need to and the showrunner tried to lighten them a little in post to try and show it wasn't cut at all) -- was breathtaking. The only awkward bit was about 1 minute of sustained action where it's a stunt double; without the suit, he had to keep his back to the camera for a very noticeably long time, but I'll allow it since the end result was so good

Loving this season so far, in any case.

Man, episode four was a fucking trip.  

2 hours ago, Ran said:

First, why is it that DD is always the most consistently excellent of the Netflix shows?

I think it's because Daredevil is the easiest character to write for.  Of all the Marvel Netflix characters, who has more great comic storylines than Daredevil?  He's got the two most recognizable villains by far (Kingpin and Bullseye) along with some of the best Marvel arcs ever by Frank Miller and Brian Michael Bendis.  Just a lot of awesome stuff to draw influence from.

Luke Cage cancelled as well now. Sounds like Marvel and Netflix are having real collaborative issues at this point. I'm guessing we may be seeing the last season of Daredevil, and the last of Jessica Jones and the Punisher when they come out.

37 minutes ago, Ran said:

Luke Cage cancelled as well now. Sounds like Marvel and Netflix are having real collaborative issues at this point. I'm guessing we may be seeing the last season of Daredevil, and the last of Jessica Jones and the Punisher when they come out.

Would be a real shame for this to be the last season of Daredevil.  I'm on episode six and this season has been phenomenal.  Loving the casting of Bullseye too.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, Ran said:

Almost done with episode 4.

First, why is it that DD is always the most consistently excellent of the Netflix shows? They've swapped around showrunners, and yet the show still works aside from S2's second half which was definitely just the usual Marvel Netflix issue of too many episodes. Now, the characters are ones I am familiar with, and Daredevil is one of my very favorite characters, and they're drawing from the deep well of some of the finest stories ever put into a superhero comic.... but it goes beyond that, because the cinematography is always a cut above (matched only by bits of Luke Cage S1; by comparison, the other show that can claim to be as well-written as DD, Jessica Jones, has had very forgettable cinematography) and we don't even really need to talk about the fight choreography.

Although...

Reveal hidden contents

The 11 minute one-take -- which, per http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/daredevil/feature/a868790/daredevil-season-3-episode-4-prison-fight-hallway-single-take-long-shot/, was _genuinely_ one take (the two black spots were intended to be places they could cut if needed, but they didn't need to and the showrunner tried to lighten them a little in post to try and show it wasn't cut at all) -- was breathtaking. The only awkward bit was about 1 minute of sustained action where it's a stunt double; without the suit, he had to keep his back to the camera for a very noticeably long time, but I'll allow it since the end result was so good

Loving this season so far, in any case.

I haven't seen Season 3 yet, but it seems pretty likely that Daredevil has gotten the biggest budgets, along with the most talented fight choreographers and cinematographers. That said, I don't think Daredevil is the most consistently excellent of the Marvel shows; beyond the debate about whether DD or JJ S1 is better (my money's on JJ, personally, but they're both great), the last half of season 2 of DD was seriously awful, not because it had too many episodes but because it turned into a show about ninjas and most of the other plotlines fizzled out (even the Punisher's). Jessica Jones Season 2 may not be great, but it at least never gets bad. I'm very happy to see that season 3 of Daredevil is a return to form, though.  

@Caligula_K3

I'd say the very end of DD S2 was a real problem -- the last two episodes, as I recall -- but this is the general "13 episodes" issue that all the shows have faced. As far as JJ never getting bad... well, I skimmed after the 4th because I couldn't take how bad some of the dialog and performances were (it finally came together and ended decently with its final 3 eps), so I think we're on different pages there. I do not not jones for Jessica Jones.

Yeah I just finished re-watching Daredevil season two in preparation for the new one. The only thing it really has going for it is The Punisher. And Fisk for the little time he's onscreen. I liked the actress's performance as Elektra but the whole Hand plotline was bad. Both Foggy and the constant mentions of "this city" and "the kitchen" were grating on my by the end. 

I wonder if they originally had a different plan for Madame Gao cause it doesn't seem like she is connected to Nobu and The Hand in the first two seasons of Daredevil. It seems weird in retrospect that he's at war with The Hand and then goes to see one of their leaders to get information on The Blacksmith to further the Punisher plotline. 

I think DD season 2 suffered in the last half of the episodes because they were doing too much to set up the Defenders and The Hand. Overall, with so much focus on Punisher and Elektra, DD was pushed to the sidelines. The finale was the only episode I found to be actually bad, had they ended on a better note, I might be more forgiving to the other weak parts. It was nowhere near as bad as Luke Cage’s first season which fell off a cliff around the halfway point for me, the back half became a weeks-long struggle for me to get through, leaving it unwatched for days at a time, and watching episodes in sometmes 10 minute increments. I didn’t bother with season 2.

15 hours ago, Ran said:

Seems like a "burying bad news" move on the same day as daredevil landing .

Unless we're getting a defenders series merging the two cancelled shows it's hard not to see how Disney is wanting to wrap the shows up so they have the IP for films or own streaming channel.

13 minutes ago, red snow said:

Seems like a "burying bad news" move on the same day as daredevil landing .

Unless we're getting a defenders series merging the two cancelled shows it's hard not to see how Disney is wanting to wrap the shows up so they have the IP for films or own streaming channel.

I mean, realistically, I can't imagine these shows having been on for more than another couple of seasons to begin with, so I don't really see how this helps Disney all that much.  They'd have the rights back by the time they were ready to do anything with the characters anyway.  

Is it an IP issue?  Marvel make the shows, wont they just make them (not those specifically but other ones) for Disney streaming rather than Netflix, nobody’s losing any rights.  Presumably they won’t be launching worldwide immediately so they could use Netflix for international broadcast maybe (although I suppose every country has a Disney channel).

Maybe it’s just as simple as not many people streamed Luke Cage or Iron Fist, or didn’t stream it in an encouraging way. I definitely didn’t, I was quitting in the middle of episodes to watch something else.

Archived