Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

Was this the first show without Clare?

She wasn't in The Punisher S1 or Jessica Jones S2.

That's actually annoying news about Daredevil. After feeling pretty burned out on the Netflix shows I decided to stop watching them on the weekend of release after The Punisher and ended up with a backlog of three full seasons to watch (36 episodes!). Jessica Jones S2 was really good but Luke Cage S2 is diabolical. I'm not sure I can muster the enthusiasm to watch Iron Fist S2 before Daredevil shows up.

I think now they should slam on the brakes, combine Luke and Danny into a Heroes for Hire show to cut down on the roster and maybe do something completely different. The shows aren't working as it is and I think blasting out 3 of them a year isn't really helping. I know there's a good chance they'll lose the entire roster once the Disney streaming service starts, but it feels like the quality is suffering.

The Punisher Season 2 finished shooting a few months ago, so they might move up to the early 2019 slot, and Jessica Jones Season 3 is shooting right now (with Ritter directing some episodes herself), so that seems likely to be the summer 2019 show.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

She wasn't in The Punisher S1 or Jessica Jones S2.

That's actually annoying news about Daredevil. After feeling pretty burned out on the Netflix shows I decided to stop watching them on the weekend of release after The Punisher and ended up with a backlog of three full seasons to watch (36 episodes!). Jessica Jones S2 was really good but Luke Cage S2 is diabolical. I'm not sure I can muster the enthusiasm to watch Iron Fist S2 before Daredevil shows up.

I think now they should slam on the brakes, combine Luke and Danny into a Heroes for Hire show to cut down on the roster and maybe do something completely different. The shows aren't working as it is and I think blasting out 3 of them a year isn't really helping. I know there's a good chance they'll lose the entire roster once the Disney streaming service starts, but it feels like the quality is suffering.

The Punisher Season 2 finished shooting a few months ago, so they might move up to the early 2019 slot, and Jessica Jones Season 3 is shooting right now (with Ritter directing some episodes herself), so that seems likely to be the summer 2019 show.

Yeah, rolling up Iron Fist and Luke Cage into one show would do wonders, I think.  You could have a main story that concerns both characters and then have each character have their own side stories throughout the season to give them some screen time alone.  That would also help maximize the value of a ten to thirteen episode season, as there'd inherently be less filler with two major characters with their own side characters.

Not sure what to do about Jessica Jones, though, because season two just kind of sucked and they killed off the most compelling villain she has in season one.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, rolling up Iron Fist and Luke Cage into one show would do wonders, I think.  You could have a main story that concerns both characters and then have each character have their own side stories throughout the season to give them some screen time alone.  That would also help maximize the value of a ten to thirteen episode season, as there'd inherently be less filler with two major characters with their own side characters.

Not sure what to do about Jessica Jones, though, because season two just kind of sucked and they killed off the most compelling villain she has in season one.

I think there's scope for a Jones/Daredevil team-up. The two characters had a good chemistry in Defenders and the problems of the moral Catholic crusader lawyer teaming up with the somewhat anarchic vigilante would be entertaining. That would also allow for a Foggy side-story (instead of splitting him between all the series like at present).

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think there's scope for a Jones/Daredevil team-up. The two characters had a good chemistry in Defenders and the problems of the moral Catholic crusader lawyer teaming up with the somewhat anarchic vigilante would be entertaining. That would also allow for a Foggy side-story (instead of splitting him between all the series like at present).

Yeah, they could do that, but at the same time I feel like Daredevil is the character that least needs other character to buoy his show, and I'd kind of hate for it to get dragged down by Jessica Jones stuff.  I'm also not really sure how she'd fit into the narrative, whereas with Cage and Rand you have the built-in Heroes for Hire connection, along with decades worth of comic stories to go along with their team-up.

44 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, they could do that, but at the same time I feel like Daredevil is the character that least needs other character to buoy his show, and I'd kind of hate for it to get dragged down by Jessica Jones stuff.

Agreed on both counts. I really don't think Daredevil needs a partner in crime-fighting.

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

Agreed on both counts. I really don't think Daredevil needs a partner in crime-fighting.

Yeah, even if the second season is a bit uneven, I think Daredevil has so many fantastic comic stories and villains to draw from compared to the other Marvel Netflix characters (aside from Punisher...he's got lots of good stuff too) that it would be a waste to try to force another character into his show.  I mean, we're in season three and they're likely just now going to introduce Daredevil's most iconic villain.

The main problem with Jessica Jones, I think, is that it's adapted from a comic that wasn't a long run and they exhausted pretty much all the best stuff from that comic run in season one.  Season two just felt like they didn't really have many good ideas left to draw from.  About the only way to salvage it at this point is to figure out a way to bring back the Purple Man in season three, because Tennant killed it in season one and they just didn't have anything like that in season two.

3 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I just can't hit play on Iron Fist S2. 

Having finished it, I'm really looking forward to season three and I never though I'd say that. Though the very last scene was silly as hell. 

18 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Having finished it, I'm really looking forward to season three and I never though I'd say that. Though the very last scene was silly as hell. 

I felt the same about the ending of Luke Cage S2.  It just ended in an awesome place and made me want to see more.

Great to hear the pacing problems are finally being addressed even if not entirely sorted for iron fist.

I'm surprised we are getting daredevil in October! Thought it was going to be early next year. Given they've had a few years (I'd hope) to work on a story this should be a tight season and as the flagship show it ideally needs to show the others how it's done. It's crazy to think there has been 2 seasons of all the other shows and 1 of punisher since the last season of daredevil.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Great to hear the pacing problems are finally being addressed even if not entirely sorted for iron fist.

I'm surprised we are getting daredevil in October! Thought it was going to be early next year. Given they've had a few years (I'd hope) to work on a story this should be a tight season and as the flagship show it ideally needs to show the others how it's done. It's crazy to think there has been 2 seasons of all the other shows and 1 of punisher since the last season of daredevil.

I think it's being motivated by the Disney streaming service launching in late 2019 and the fact that they are very unlikely to be making shows for a rival service afterwards (although that depends on the deal between ABC and Netflix), so the entire Netflix Marvel TV universe could cease to exist after the end of 2019, so they're rushing everything through whilst there's still time.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think it's being motivated by the Disney streaming service launching in late 2019 and the fact that they are very unlikely to be making shows for a rival service afterwards (although that depends on the deal between ABC and Netflix), so the entire Netflix Marvel TV universe could cease to exist after the end of 2019, so they're rushing everything through whilst there's still time.

That's my suspicion too. Maybe they only had a 5 year initial contract? I guess there's also the fact the shows are relatively cheap (with 7 episodes of action spread over 13) and draw in the crowds. Having a marvel show every 2 months probably keeps subscribers on board full-time whereas some people maybe only paid for the month a marvel show was released.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finished IF2. Much better than the first season, but not DD or JJ level of goodness. Ditto on the hope they combine LC and IF into a H4H show. I like both characters, but neither feel strong enough to keep carrying solo shows. I'd love to see a Knight/Wing show. :)

TBH, I did zone out a bit during the last episode of IF, but I'm lost:

Did they ever explain how Danny got his DragonFist back? Was it just a mental thing with the coin, realizing he and Colleen are two sides of the same thing? Was that it? Because I'm lost...

51 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Ok, finished IF2. Much better than the first season, but not DD or JJ level of goodness. Ditto on the hope they combine LC and IF into a H4H show. I like both characters, but neither feel strong enough to keep carrying solo shows. I'd love to see a Knight/Wing show. :)

TBH, I did zone out a bit during the last episode of IF, but I'm lost:

Hide contents

Did they ever explain how Danny got his DragonFist back? Was it just a mental thing with the coin, realizing he and Colleen are two sides of the same thing? Was that it? Because I'm lost...

No, they did not explain it. 

Someone, either here or in the comments of a review, postulated that the guns themselves had been charged with Chi by this Orson character they're looking for who was a former Iron Fist. So if that's true he doesn't have his powers back yet. But the show did not bother explaining. 

Finished IFS2 yesterday. It felt like a series that made a lot of course corrections and decent decisions but ultimately, still wasn't quite up to scratch.

Yeah, the pacing works better at 10 episodes - I suspect Netflix tried that out on IFS2 because they knew it was the least popular show. And yes, I'm pleased that they made the Colleen-as-Iron-Fist thing stick: I was convinced they would back out, and was really dreading that because there was no way to back out that doesn't make the situation worse rather than better. But still, the season as a whole was a chore.

The fight choreography was better but still not great - boring and predictable at times. There's one sequence of punches and blocks that I swear was used in every episode. Davos was... bad. Not bad bad, Bad. Sacha Dawan is a decent actor but sheesh, this was one wooden performance. Not helped by the writing. Any scene with him and Danny had me shaking my head and wondering when Misty and Colleen would show up.

It was better than season 1, in quality terms: but it lacked the utterly batshit insane WTF moments that got me through season 1. I already know I will never rewatch this series. I have no reason to.

9 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I don't know how you all finished Season 2. I got up to dinner scene in Episode 4 with Davos, Joy, Colleen and Danny and dread going any further. I feel like I'm watching something intended for a bunch of 5th graders.

While the dinner scene was kinda cringe worthy, Davos is a better villain than the Hand. He has both a personal connection with the hero, and a larger, clear goal that he's trying to achieve. I'll agree that Joy's motivations are a bit pathetic.

Better fight scenes.

The season also introduces the interesting character of Mary Walker, with Alice Eve doing a very good job.

So all in all, season 2 > season 1, and reduced to 10 episodes, keeping the plot tighter. If you were able to get through season 1, you shouldn't have a problem with season 2.

56 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Davos is a better villain than the Hand. He has both a personal connection with the hero, and a larger, clear goal that he's trying to achieve.

He does, but unfortunately that goal belongs to the Punisher, who for some reason doesn't have it in the Netflix universe, so they gave it to Davos instead because they couldn't find another one. It doesn't make any sense for Davos to have that goal, but what the hey.

Archived