Jump to content
Martell Spy

Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Recommended Posts

Madame Gao's heroin packets were marked with the sign of the Steel Serpent in Daredevil so there's one villain in addition to Madame Gao for Iron Fist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

 Couldn't find the old Jessica Jones thread, so I'll just post this here.

 

 

I feel a great disturbance in the force...as though millions of MRAs just screamed out in terror.

 

 

music to my ears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2016 at 7:28 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

 Couldn't find the old Jessica Jones thread, so I'll just post this here.

 

The Netflix Marvel thread'll do:

Entirely directed by women. My mind immediately goes, should it matter? Given that no one would bat an eye when shows are directed totally by men, I think it's probably fair for a show to purposefully make that choice. But what I'm hoping we're working towards is, it's not just about women to make Feminist works, it's for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The Netflix Marvel thread'll do:

Entirely directed by women. My mind immediately goes, should it matter? Given that no one would bat an eye when shows are directed totally by men, I think it's probably fair for a show to purposefully make that choice. But what I'm hoping we're working towards is, it's not just about women to make Feminist works, it's for everyone.

Maybe in some way its applaudable, but at the same time it all feels a bit like the UN Wonder Woman moment. Like an empty gesture used for a good bit of PR. When really the showrunners should be concerned with making a good show. Hopefully they felt these directors were the best for the job, rather than being picked due to the quality of their genitalia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Maybe in some way its applaudable, but at the same time it all feels a bit like the UN Wonder Woman moment. Like an empty gesture used for a good bit of PR. When really the showrunners should be concerned with making a good show. Hopefully they felt these directors were the best for the job, rather than being picked due to the quality of their genitalia.

The sad thing is that if the list of directors had all been male, that would have been unremarkable: nobody would have even thought about what genitalia they had or wondered for a second if they were the best for the job. It would have been assumed to be obvious that they were.

So long as that's true, complaints about an all-women directorial lineup ring hollow. It's not an 'empty gesture' to give a hand up to talented people suffering from systematic discrimination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mormont said:

 

The sad thing is that if the list of directors had all been male, that would have been unremarkable: nobody would have even thought about what genitalia they had or wondered for a second if they were the best for the job. It would have been assumed to be obvious that they were.

So long as that's true, complaints about an all-women directorial lineup ring hollow. It's not an 'empty gesture' to give a hand up to talented people suffering from systematic discrimination.

Well as someone who doesn't believe in 'quotas' of any description, because I think its discrimination in another form, I disagree. If there are more male directors than female directors then issues should be looked at as to why that is, then get to the root of the cause. Otherwise you are putting a plaster on a problem, in fact making it worse. 

There are plenty of good female directors out there, GoT has one of them, but there are less. I don't know why. 

This move does smell of a PR ploy to push the show as a feminist icon, maybe in the same way they tried to do it with Ghostbusters. Who knows. I don't think the show needs to be that, its a good show where most of the major characters are female.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Well as someone who doesn't believe in 'quotas' of any description, because I think its discrimination in another form, I disagree. If there are more male directors than female directors then issues should be looked at as to why that is, then get to the root of the cause.

I'm spitballing here, but I think one of the causes might be that female directors don't get as many jobs. And a good way of addressing that would be to give them some jobs.

I'm very serious here, by the way. More jobs means a better CV and more experience, which means a more level playing field and a better chance the next time a female director is up for a job. That then creates an atmosphere where female directors are more common, encouraging more people to employ them and encouraging more women to go into directing.

If you've got alternative explanations for the otherwise quite baffling lack of female directors, please put them forward. Don't ascribe it to some mysterious force that we can nevertheless definitely tackle without the distasteful step of giving female directors more jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there some internet rage about this JJ news that I'm missing?  With women being better than men (on average) at multitasking you would think they would be more successful directing.  Netflix/Marvel making it a thing seems more like a marketing ploy than anything else to me, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it would be nice to have an [almost] all female infront and behind the scenes product actually turn out to be good. The problem for Ghostbusters was that it was a dumb idea to do a straight remake as it was going to be hard for to fly critically or commercially. And then they overlayed it with a gender issues tinder box making an all female lead ensemble. I liked the Honest Trailers video for Ghostbusters because it honestly critiqued the movie for being a pointless and mediocre remake, but also took shots at the MRA and their ilk for making an irelevant huge issue about the female casting.

So, I look forward the some more overhead glass being broken by having women being totally in charge of a TV show that sits firmly in a geek-male genre, which seems to be highly represented by MRA types.

Let's hope all, if not most, episodes pass the Bechdel test.

I also look forward to the day that women being entirely in charge of anything doesn't even rise to the level of minor curiosity.

I also take issue with the notion that all discrimination is bad. I certainly think, especially at a regulatory level, that any discrimination needs to be very carefully thought through and for the most part used rarely and with a light touch. But I think judicious use of discrimination to redress social distortions created by historical inequalities, which still remain in the minds and actions of some individuals, are justified.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mormont said:

 

The sad thing is that if the list of directors had all been male, that would have been unremarkable: nobody would have even thought about what genitalia they had or wondered for a second if they were the best for the job. It would have been assumed to be obvious that they were.

So long as that's true, complaints about an all-women directorial lineup ring hollow. It's not an 'empty gesture' to give a hand up to talented people suffering from systematic discrimination.

This.... totally this.

 

Also... I'm wondering if they use the Kingpin's adopted daughter/Echo storyline in DD S3... not as the main arc... but as a fun sub-plot

I also wouldn't mind seeing Moon Knight in one or more of these series... but I'm probably in the minority with that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only skimming this stuff to avoid too bad of spoilers. Those pictures look amazing though and there's some key info in there. Wishing I had time travel right now so I could go watch this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I just love how they're sticking to the color scheme they've established on the individual shows...the red, purple, yellow, and green. They pull it off without it coming across as cheesy.

Yeah its great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2016 at 2:45 PM, mormont said:

I'm spitballing here, but I think one of the causes might be that female directors don't get as many jobs. And a good way of addressing that would be to give them some jobs.

I'm very serious here, by the way. More jobs means a better CV and more experience, which means a more level playing field and a better chance the next time a female director is up for a job. That then creates an atmosphere where female directors are more common, encouraging more people to employ them and encouraging more women to go into directing.

If you've got alternative explanations for the otherwise quite baffling lack of female directors, please put them forward. Don't ascribe it to some mysterious force that we can nevertheless definitely tackle without the distasteful step of giving female directors more jobs.

 

Yeah - the whole unconscious bias thing means we pretty much have to deliberately redress the balance until there's an equal mix of people higher up to allow fair hiring at a later stage. Although the unconscious bias seems such an issue that selection panels always need to be mixed which is fine for big companies and problematic for small ones. I've seen adverts for my line of work where they only want to hire women - it stings a little but then I think "this is something women have to contend with all the time". We all need to share the pain so that it can be fair.

I also think there's a false assumption that people who get picked to fill a quota are somehow utterly useless. The reality is there are usually lots of candidates that are equally talented and people are hired on an X-factor. Which on a white male dominated panel tends to be the x-factor of "white male".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I kind of just assumed that season one of Jessica Jones was written entirely by women and was surprised to learn that it had male writers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Apparently (the) RZA directed an episode of Iron Fist. As someone who has seen The Man with the Iron Fists I'm a little apprehensive.

http://mcuexchange.com/hiphop-icon-rza-direct-episode-iron-fist/

It could work if it's say an episode being told from the POV of a kid describing an encounter with Rand who likes old kung-fu films???

A bit worrying if it's an indication of the show's overall style. Although I enjoyed Man with the Iron Fists in a "so bad it's entertaining way" or at least appreciated the wacky approach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×