Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah like you I've tried to watch the CW shows but I really wanted them as background shows, that I could look up from something else and check out for a bit. But they are all too intense, so they demand your attention, even if they are not especially complex or interesting. When I realised I couldn't do that I gave up on them. 

Black Mirror is a good example of a low risk show, anthologies work really well in that way. You know roughly what you are going to get but if you don't like something you can discontinue. As you get older and your free time becomes smaller, you need shows which are less commitment. 

Superhero shows should actually work brilliantly in that format (maybe things like the flash and Supergirl do, I don't know, I don't watch them) because you can have a villain of the week who gets his ass kicked, then move onto another one next week. 

the format for the flash (and Arrow) works fine in principle. The issue is they are terrible (flash from season 2, Arrow from season 3). But there's no reason why they can't do great 40 minute shows and move to the next villain. Dr Who also has the right format but is very variable in quality - although it is a show where i can miss episodes and just tune in for the ones that get good reviews.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Watched the first two. The first one is alright, if nothing revolutionary, and seems critics are overreacting- and then comes the 2nd episode, which, yes, is aggressively boring and cliched, though the ending shows some promise.

so the mistake may be in giving reviewers too many episodes? By the end of episode 2 are they any clearer on stating what the show is about, who the antagonist is and what the protagonist is trying to do (besides prove he is Danny Rand)?

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Watched the first two. The first one is alright, if nothing revolutionary, and seems critics are overreacting- and then comes the 2nd episode, which, yes, is aggressively boring and cliched, though the ending shows some promise.

Strongly disagree, the scene in which he fights the security guys in the lobby alone is excruciating to watch. He acts like a stalkerish, obsessed psychopath with no respect for Joy's personal space and safety, then complains that he is met with anger and negativity. 

Two episodes into Iron Fist and holy shit this show is boring.

Danny Rand is a comic book superhero with magical martial arts powers which he gained from fighting a freaking dragon. He is the protector of a magical city, one in a long line of heroic figures. He also happens to own a big American company.

The writers for the Netflix show looked at that character and came to the conclusion that the last point is what's really interesting about the guy.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

so the mistake may be in giving reviewers too many episodes? By the end of episode 2 are they any clearer on stating what the show is about, who the antagonist is and what the protagonist is trying to do (besides prove he is Danny Rand)?

Going by the first two episodes, the show is about Danny proving his identity and getting his company back. Seriously, that's the central (and only) plot thread so far.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's encouraging. I dunno how many viewers it represents, but on my Netflix feed the show has a full 5 stars, so someone's liking it.

Netflix shows predictive ratings on their feeds based on other things you have rated (and how people like you have rated that particular show).  On the dvd side of the site you can find the actual ratings, but there's no listing for Iron Fist (and I was unable to find the true rating on the streaming site).

How long is Netflix's contract with Marvel?  Because I'm worried that due to the success of these shows, Marvel won't renew and will just distribute on their own. I'm pretty worried about Netflix in general, even with their own content production. They just don't own the core brands to sustain themselves IMO.

4 hours ago, Jon AS said:

The writers for the Netflix show looked at that character and came to the conclusion that the last point is what's really interesting about the guy.

"Ladies and gentleman, Marvel too has it's Batman-wannabe, take a look at this show pwetty pwease!"

15 hours ago, sperry said:

How long is Netflix's contract with Marvel?  Because I'm worried that due to the success of these shows, Marvel won't renew and will just distribute on their own. I'm pretty worried about Netflix in general, even with their own content production. They just don't own the core brands to sustain themselves IMO.

That's possible, but Netflix is still the best content-delivery platform on the planet for this kind of stuff (even Amazon involves more faffing around). In fact, Netflix co-fund the series but Marvel and ABC already put in their money as well. The deal is working out well for everyone.

As for their own brands, Netflix has two massive mega-successes in House of Cards and Orange is the New Black (even if both have already gone on for too long), an international huge hit in Sense8 (which is less massive in the States, but can grow) and of course its most successful series of all time, Stranger Things. It also has some big new shows coming up, like Altered Carbon. It can survive fine without the Marvel shows.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

That's possible, but Netflix is still the best content-delivery platform on the planet for this kind of stuff (even Amazon involves more faffing around). In fact, Netflix co-fund the series but Marvel and ABC already put in their money as well. The deal is working out well for everyone.

As for their own brands, Netflix has two massive mega-successes in House of Cards and Orange is the New Black (even if both have already gone on for too long), an international huge hit in Sense8 (which is less massive in the States, but can grow) and of course its most successful series of all time, Stranger Things. It also has some big new shows coming up, like Altered Carbon. It can survive fine without the Marvel shows.

The big question is how long can Netflix go on funding this huge swathe of shows and not run out of cash. Is the business model profitable enough to make it worth it. I'm seeing less and less from Amazon at the moment, they have barely updated their film library in months, I think they might have given up on trying to compete. Maybe once Netflix feels its got people locked in it will calm down

16 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

"Ladies and gentleman, Marvel too has it's Batman-wannabe, take a look at this show pwetty pwease!"

you say "too"...do you have a batman wannabe?  lay it out for me pwease...a list of batman wannabes, that is.  i'm considering umbrage. :P

ETA:  holy shit!  netflix altered carbon?! :leaving:

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm more worried about them losing rights to the big shows in their library like Walking Dead, Lost, The Office, etc.

Bit of a cop out at the end.

The show seemed to imply that Danny and Davos may have been lovers in K'un-lun, but then rolled back a few scenes later and emphasised that Danny was talking about being trusted friends and comrades. Almost like the writer went, "Wait! I'm in danger of making Danny an interesting character, better roll back on that."

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Reveal hidden contents

The show seemed to imply that Danny and Davos may have been lovers in K'un-lun, but then rolled back a few scenes later and emphasised that Danny was talking about being trusted friends and comrades. Almost like the writer went, "Wait! I'm in danger of making Danny an interesting character, better roll back on that."

Nah, there was no cop out. Not only I didn't see anything that might indicate they were romantically involved, Danny already said earlier he had a vow of chastity, so Colleen was his first.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Nah, there was no cop out. Not only I didn't see anything that might indicate they were romantically involved, Danny already said earlier he had a vow of chastity, so Colleen was his first.

Well, he broke that in five seconds flat, plus we don't know when he took the vow. If it was when he became the Iron Fist, that doesn't rule anything out (as that was maybe a couple of years to a few months earlier).

It does also explain Davos's otherwise inexplicably bizarre behaviour. Well, apart from it being crappy writing.

21 hours ago, Werthead said:

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't pick up the slightest hint of such a thing. I shall ask my gay son, with whom I watched the entire show, whether he picked up on that vibe.

On 19/03/2017 at 5:23 AM, Werthead said:

Reveal hidden contents

I talked about it with my son and he definitely felt a vibe, but wasn't sure if it was just wishful thinking on his part, so was really interested to hear other people had mentioned it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2017 at 10:59 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

I talked about it with my son and he definitely felt a vibe, but wasn't sure if it was just wishful thinking on his part, so was really interested to hear other people had mentioned it.

Such a vibe could just be a hangover from the actor's previous role too? A bit like how I always get a "there's gonna be a twist" vibe off Kevin Spacey characters or a "Does he have Aspergers" vibe off Benedict Cumberbatch's roles.

Archived