Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedEyedGhost

October Reading 2016 - Something Spooky?

Read a copy of Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage I had on my shelves for a while. Such a great story. I now have Linklater's, An Artist in Treason: The Extraordinary Double Life of General James Wilkinson on my TBR.

Just started Orlando Figes, A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891-1924, to increase my laymen's knowledge of the topic before jumping into Sholokhov's, And Quiet Flows the Don.

I finished Peter F. Hamilton's Night Without Stars. I've always found Hamilton's books to be relatively quick reads despite their length, and this was no exception although I wouldn't say it was one of his best works. It moves on a few centuries from the end of the first book in the series, unfortunately I think the world has become less interesting in the meantime, with it largely being dominated by a drab totalitarian state. The most interesting element is the constant threat from the Fallers, who are one of the more unpleasant alien races in Hamilton's books. I also thought the characters tended to be a bit bland, aside from a reappearance by one of the best characters from the previous Commonwealth series. I did like the tense chase through an arctic landscape and the scenes set off-planet, but overall I'd rank this series below the Commonwealth or Void books.

Yesterday I finished Warriors 1 and thought it was a fantastical collection of stories.

I started Who Travels with the Doctor? a collection of essays on the companions from Doctor Who.

I finished The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott on Saturday.  Excellent book, with a wonderful ending.  Side note, off the top of my head I cannot think of another book I've read that was set in Australia.  

Yesterday was too busy to get much reading done, so I'm just a few chapters into No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill.  Great start though.  

This might have been my best slate of October books to date; low reading month for the board it appears, here barely on page seven at the end of the month. 

Finished Camus' The Stranger for book club. 
Book for Belarus is His Battalion by Vasili Bykov. My husband is from Belarus and feels slightly insulted that I'm finding it rather dry (not that he's read it).

Next is Belgium. That shouldn't be hard, right? Any recommendations?