The Dothraki & the "historical accuracy" of GRRM's world

thewolfofStarfall

3 hours ago, Nocturne said:

When i said that inspired != identical i meant exactly that. Here's an example: let's say i wanted to make a compendium of shite posts, i could read yours, get inspired, but not match them word for word. See the difference?

Also if you don't want to get offended when reading A song of ice and fire, next time just don't. Read something disney related.

LmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooX10^23 You're so edgy. You win this thread.

Waste of my time 

Well the Dothraki are certainly more 'uncivilized' than the Mongols of actual history. After all Mongels even while nomadic wore armor and could build siege weapons and had other more advanced technologies than dothraki appear to have. I actually think one reason for this being different is that a huge Khalasar like Drogo's would have destroyed most of East Essos, (although they probably would have spared any culture that allowed them to be Khan of the area) It would have made for a rather uncomplicated political situation and perhaps not given Daenerys much chance to build her army. I would like some characters who are both Dothraki and Ghiscari that are against these stereotypes to at least silence any of my fears of racism in this world. If Aggo or Irri or someone suddenly took an interest in books it would probably go agaiant their characters..but perhaps a learned dothraki descendent or a younger dothraki in Dany's khalasar could be interested in differebt pursuits or could be highly intelligent. I would love to see a Ghiscari who just rises to power as a anti-slaver but also wants the Meerenese to rule themselves or something. That person could be an freedman or an ex-master. A POV from a dothraki character could be intrresting as well. What if Jhogo is a genious and we only see him as unintelligent because of his lack of skill at the common tongue and a bravodo he carries because of peer pressure within his society to be a warrior.

Huns, read about them, Mongols are not the only nomadic Central Asian tribe. I don't think Dothraki are anything like Native Americans, they are clearly inspired by nomads from Central Asia. And don't mix Mongols and Native Americans, they are not alike as far as I know. I really don't know how much Native Americans as a people engaged in rape, but Mongols did, routinely and a lot, they even used rape as the psychological warfare.

Civilization is not exactly what you imply it is. Gender equality isn't only measure, after all primitive pre-writing (and pre-civilization) humans were far more gender equal then Mongols, and so were the bunch of other nomads from Central Asia. Than again advanced doesn't mean gender equal either, at least not in medieval period as it would be preposterous to claim  that Gengis Khan Mongols were more advanced then Islamic states of the period. 

Oriental civilizations, both Middle and Far Eastern, even when far more advanced then European ones, weren't really nice in modern sense, myth about cruel Persians, Byzantines and Arabs is not a myth, Middle Eastern people (not just Islamic) were very gung ho about cruel and unusual punishments and brutal forms of subjugation consistently exceeding the Western European norms.

Far and Middle Eastern people were always fond of and prone to despotism in the manner West rarely suffered, and it stretches from Assyrians to Ottoman Empire (even modern ISIS) and in China from first emperors to Mao. Even in snow-white, Christian sphere you have Russian Empire which transformed into USSR and not to forget Austro-Hungarian Empire, catholic empire which brutally oppressed it's subjects based on ethnicity and religion even in the time when UK and France were parliamentary democracies in almost contemporary sense.

Moral relativism and historical revisionism aren't good things. Oriental myth was overblown but it still was somewhat true, Civilizations from Trieste to Tokyo were different and frequently not nice compared their Western European counterparts.

And even Byzantian (Roman), Islamic and Chinese writers considered nomads from steppes really, really bad, savage and cruel, and even other steppe nomads aren't close to the Huns, Huns were bad as and even worse than Dothraki. 

Archived