Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lockjaw of House Boltagon

How would you have introduced Aegon or an Aegon-like character on the show?

Recommended Posts

Obviously this ship has sailed but I'm interested on what could've been. I mean, I think bringing Aegon into the show posed significant difficulties, given how he (and Jon Connington and the rest of their crew) shows up out of nowhere really, five books in, with little to no build-up or foreshadowing, with a convoluted and soap operesque backstory (baby switch!) and an even more convoluted motive and plans for Varys and Illyrio, not to mention the possible Blackfyre angle. 

So, I think I would've either tried to find a better way to introduce Aegon and do it EARLIER, or I would've given his storyline to another character altogether, say to Gendry or even Edric Storm. 

What about you? What would you have done? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Obviously this ship has sailed but I'm interested on what could've been. I mean, I think bringing Aegon into the show posed significant difficulties, given how he (and Jon Connington and the rest of their crew) shows up out of nowhere really, five books in, with little to no build-up or foreshadowing, with a convoluted and soap operesque backstory (baby switch!) and an even more convoluted motive and plans for Varys and Illyrio, not to mention the possible Blackfyre angle. 

So, I think I would've either tried to find a better way to introduce Aegon and do it EARLIER, or I would've given his storyline to another character altogether, say to Gendry or even Edric Storm. 

What about you? What would you have done? 

Just to point out, people were predicting the emergence of another claimant to the throne well before ADWD and mentioning Aegon as a possibility given the story of how the corpse was unrecognisable.

But the question is a good question. The show set out not to use flashbacks or show any backstory, which makes it hard to envisage a way of working in Aegon without it seeming completely ridiculous. I personally would like to have seen flashbacks telling bits and pieces over time of RR from the POV of characters who were there. Using flashbacks cleverly, they could have made the big reveal about Jon's parentage really powerful, instead of a confusing mess.

That said, I do understand the extra expense and time involved in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just introduce him like in the books through Varys. Varys bringing Tyrion not to Dany but to fAegon. But there should more hints about events of the past, like flashbacks or smb expressing doubts that Aegon was really killed.

The show Gendry is already a combination with Edric Storm. Gendry and Aegon are two different characters with different looks and upbringing.

We discussed in another thread that there must be some other power that would draw Dany back. Probably it would Euron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it works in the books, I think Aegon, Arianne, and the Martell family conflict were smart cuts from the TV show.  It's a lot of time to do something like addressing the perfect fantasy prince tropes, and juxtaposing Aegon against Jon and Dany.  

I think preserving Quentyn is still probably a good idea, although don't film it from his pov.  Make us aware that Doran is plotting something, possibly with him placating the Sand Snakes, and then have Quentyn show up in court for Daenerys to pledge Dorne for her in exchange for vengeance on the Lannisters (if they want to keep her free for marriage without killing him). What they actually did to "fix" Dorne because of the Aegon cut was absolutely atrocious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I would just introduce him like in the books through Varys. Varys bringing Tyrion not to Dany but to fAegon. But there should more hints about events of the past, like flashbacks or smb expressing doubts that Aegon was really killed.

The show Gendry is already a combination with Edric Storm. Gendry and Aegon are two different characters with different looks and upbringing.

We discussed in another thread that there must be some other power that would draw Dany back. Probably it would Euron.

Yes, I agree. I'd have used some flashbacks from when he was a kid  -or someone talking about him in Essos-before and then casting an actor in S5 for the role (exotic hairdyes are not needed, but since Sansa used them, they could have played with hayrdying in any normal colour and then introduce Aegon later changing it or anything)

When I watched S5's trailer-I was finishing aDwD then I was super excited to see him (and what I have read as an adaptation).

 I was looking forward to seeing him and when Varys said "who said anything about him?"....and Dany appears........I thought they were trying to confuse the viewers. "It has to be more complex" I thought.

"I'm sure it will be the surprise of the season, because Arianne is surely cut, they won't cut everything...."

(((( me now::lmao:))))". 

 

I mean, they play with this in the trailers.....they superimposed Brienne's "Nothing is more hateful than failing to protect the one you love" with Jaime's scene  and thus hinting JB.....(sidenote: you fool summer children)..... so they won't be as obvious with Dany's powerful army......but nope.

At the end JB didn't happen. And they mocked readers with Varys' obvious choice. Which means they did the contrary of what they actually should have had to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I would just introduce him like in the books through Varys. Varys bringing Tyrion not to Dany but to fAegon. But there should more hints about events of the past, like flashbacks or smb expressing doubts that Aegon was really killed.

The show Gendry is already a combination with Edric Storm. Gendry and Aegon are two different characters with different looks and upbringing.

We discussed in another thread that there must be some other power that would draw Dany back. Probably it would Euron.

 

19 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, I agree. I'd have used some flashbacks from when he was a kid  -or someone talking about him in Essos-before and then casting an actor in S5 for the role (exotic hairdyes are not needed, but since Sansa used them, they could have played with hayrdying in any normal colour and then introduce Aegon later changing it or anything)

When I watched S5's trailer-I was finishing aDwD then I was super excited to see him (and what I have read as an adaptation).

 I was looking forward to seeing him and when Varys said "who said anything about him?"....and Dany appears........I thought they were trying to confuse the viewers. "It has to be more complex" I thought.

"I'm sure it will be the surprise of the season, because Arianne is surely cut, they won't cut everything...."

(((( me now::lmao:))))". 

I don't know, flashbacks or no flashbacks I think that would have been terrible. Like, we're in season five and here's this random kid who's going to be super important and we're supposed to care about him for some reason. Oh, and wait till I tell you how he allegedly escaped death when he was a baby. Talk about jumping the shark. In my opinion, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lyin' Ned said:

 

I don't know, flashbacks or no flashbacks I think that would have been terrible. Like, we're in season five and here's this random kid who's going to be super important and we're supposed to care about him for some reason. Oh, and wait till I tell you how he allegedly escaped death when he was a baby. Talk about jumping the shark. In my opinion, of course. 

Well, we are not supposed to care about him. It's someone new to discover, to expand the universe. I think it's a personal taste, I'm not a super fan of Aegon but I loved how it added compleixty to the story. Having said that, I like complex stories, even if they are only TV shows, and I think it could have worked with probably more episodes than the ones we are going to have and good scriptwriting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

 

I don't know, flashbacks or no flashbacks I think that would have been terrible. Like, we're in season five and here's this random kid who's going to be super important and we're supposed to care about him for some reason. Oh, and wait till I tell you how he allegedly escaped death when he was a baby. Talk about jumping the shark. In my opinion, of course. 

Like we were in book 5 and there was this random kid with blue hair who was super important and had a whole team of mentors and we were supposed to care about him after all we met him through the arguably most important and definitely most popular character of the entire series. And then we were told he dyes his hair blue to hide the signature blond hair and change the color of his purple eyes because he is a bloody secret Targaryen. Because escaped death when he was a baby even though nothing previously indicated that there was anything remotely suspicious about his death as a baby... Yes, I know how you feel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he was going to appear in the show, I'd introduce him in season three in place of Daario.  Since he's been raised across the narrow sea, it makes sense that he could be involved with the Golden Company already.  Just introduce that group of sellswords instead of the Second Sons, and at first say he's a Blackfyre then reveal later he is legitimately Rhaegar's son when Dany would be deeply conflicted about killing him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few amateurish ideas: 

 

- Varys introduces him directly

- Varys talks about this great claimant he has, cut to the Golden Company

- Stannis messanger arrives at the Golden Company, learns they already set sail for Westeros, gets killed (?)

- Messengers arrive at Merren, asking Dany for an alliace with Aegon

- Tyrion learns of it at Illyrios place, his voyage follows the books more closely

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since they changed so much in the show i would've done it in season 5. Since they made the BRILLIANT decision to send Jaime to Dorne in season 5, it was a good opportunity to introduce Aegon and reveal that Prince Doran Martell was hiding him all along.

 Jaime gets captured, just like in the show. But after he is released he meets a young man who reminds him of someone... Jaime asks the boy who he is and where is he from, the boy replies: " I am no one... important. " Is he a... could it be? 

 So anyway the young man tells Jaime that he always wanted to be a Knight and a great warrior and that everyone says that Jaime is the greatest swordsman alive. He asks Jaime if he could teach him how to fight. Jaime points out that he lost his sword hand ( but doesn't admit that he sucks now ) and tells the boy that he doesn't have time for games. As Jaime is about to leave, the young man tells him "You were supposed to protect my mother and my sister... Kingslayer." Jaime is shocked and lost for words. Aegon turns his back on Jaime, starts to walk away and whispers "Fire and Blood". End of episode 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LordMiddleFinger said:

Since they changed so much in the show i would've done it in season 5. Since they made the BRILLIANT decision to send Jaime to Dorne in season 5, it was a good opportunity to introduce Aegon and reveal that Prince Doran Martell was hiding him all along.

 Jaime gets captured, just like in the show. But after he is released he meets a young man who reminds him of someone... Jaime asks the boy who he is and where is he from, the boy replies: " I am no one... important. " Is he a... could it be? 

 So anyway the young man tells Jaime that he always wanted to be a Knight and a great warrior and that everyone says that Jaime is the greatest swordsman alive. He asks Jaime if he could teach him how to fight. Jaime points out that he lost his sword hand ( but doesn't admit that he sucks now ) and tells the boy that he doesn't have time for games. As Jaime is about to leave, the young man tells him "You were supposed to protect my mother and my sister... Kingslayer." Jaime is shocked and lost for words. Aegon turns his back on Jaime, starts to walk away and whispers "Fire and Blood". End of episode 9.

I can't figure out if you're trolling or not :) 

While the last part its straight up out of a tellnovela, i do like the idea of introducing him trough Jamie.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 2:49 AM, LordMiddleFinger said:

Since they changed so much in the show i would've done it in season 5. Since they made the BRILLIANT decision to send Jaime to Dorne in season 5, it was a good opportunity to introduce Aegon and reveal that Prince Doran Martell was hiding him all along.

 Jaime gets captured, just like in the show. But after he is released he meets a young man who reminds him of someone... Jaime asks the boy who he is and where is he from, the boy replies: " I am no one... important. " Is he a... could it be? 

 So anyway the young man tells Jaime that he always wanted to be a Knight and a great warrior and that everyone says that Jaime is the greatest swordsman alive. He asks Jaime if he could teach him how to fight. Jaime points out that he lost his sword hand ( but doesn't admit that he sucks now ) and tells the boy that he doesn't have time for games. As Jaime is about to leave, the young man tells him "You were supposed to protect my mother and my sister... Kingslayer." Jaime is shocked and lost for words. Aegon turns his back on Jaime, starts to walk away and whispers "Fire and Blood". End of episode 9.

i just spit my drink out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2016 at 9:00 AM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Just to point out, people were predicting the emergence of another claimant to the throne well before ADWD and mentioning Aegon as a possibility given the story of how the corpse was unrecognisable.

But the question is a good question. The show set out not to use flashbacks or show any backstory, which makes it hard to envisage a way of working in Aegon without it seeming completely ridiculous. I personally would like to have seen flashbacks telling bits and pieces over time of RR from the POV of characters who were there. Using flashbacks cleverly, they could have made the big reveal about Jon's parentage really powerful, instead of a confusing mess.

That said, I do understand the extra expense and time involved in that.

No flashbacks and no inner voices. I also do not think they ever intended to have Argon at all on the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you NEED to introduce Aegon I would do what GRRM didn't and have him appear alot earlier. Have a guy named Young Griff going around doing things in a few scenes. Maybe invent a plot point where Vary's has to do some task for the crown and he's like "I know a guy" and then we get a small Golden Company adventure that introduces them. 

That should be season 4. Like Vary's can do that and then come back and help Jamie free Tyrion. Then Tyrion travels with Griff a bit until he gets to Essos. Then you do the big reveal either at the end of season 5 or midway through season 6. That way it doesn't feel like it's out of left field. 

What kills Aegon in the books is him being revealed 5 books in with little build up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 2:49 AM, LordMiddleFinger said:

Since they changed so much in the show i would've done it in season 5. Since they made the BRILLIANT decision to send Jaime to Dorne in season 5, it was a good opportunity to introduce Aegon and reveal that Prince Doran Martell was hiding him all along.

 Jaime gets captured, just like in the show. But after he is released he meets a young man who reminds him of someone... Jaime asks the boy who he is and where is he from, the boy replies: " I am no one... important. " Is he a... could it be? 

 So anyway the young man tells Jaime that he always wanted to be a Knight and a great warrior and that everyone says that Jaime is the greatest swordsman alive. He asks Jaime if he could teach him how to fight. Jaime points out that he lost his sword hand ( but doesn't admit that he sucks now ) and tells the boy that he doesn't have time for games. As Jaime is about to leave, the young man tells him "You were supposed to protect my mother and my sister... Kingslayer." Jaime is shocked and lost for words. Aegon turns his back on Jaime, starts to walk away and whispers "Fire and Blood". End of episode 9.

Personally, I would have introduced Griff, Young Griff and the rest of the crew just like in the books (I was very disappointed with the show when Jorah and Tyrion were on the boat and it became clear everyone else had been cut from the story), but I liked what you wrote, too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×