NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

On the other hand, Torrey Smith is dead to me. 

To Blaine Gabbert as well. Why throw to Torrey Smith when you can go all Rusher McFumbles. every. single. play. 

10 hours ago, James Arryn said:

It's looking more and more that way. I'm not sure he's there physically, from what we're hearing, but I doubt there's much more to discover about Gabbert.

He looks a lot healthier. That first preseason game he played in he appeared to be much slighter. Again, I don't think it's going to mean much to the Niners bottomline, but they may as well give him the ball. 

Saw a rant from Stephen A. Smith about how Baalke sabotaged the Niners and needs to be fired... I always worry about myself anytime I find myself agreeing with Stephen A. 

I hope I'm okay.  :unsure:

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Saw a rant from Stephen A. Smith about how Baalke sabotaged the Niners and needs to be fired... I always worry about myself anytime I find myself agreeing with Stephen A. 

Well add me to that list. The problem is it's not just Baalke methinks. Jed York has made one good Head Coaching hire since he's taken control, and he essentially fired that guy for no good reason.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well add me to that list. The problem is it's not just Baalke methinks. Jed York has made one good Head Coaching hire since he's taken control, and he essentially fired that guy for no good reason.

Its what happens when you let a spoiled kid play with the expensive family toys...

I saw a graphic yesterday pointing out how far under the cap the Niners are and that they started moving that direction right after Levi's open.  The point the picture was making was that the York family tried to win just enough to get the cash-cow built and then went cheap immediately thereafter.  I hope that's not true.  But it sure feels like it...

Dreaded triple post incoming, but the thoughts just aren't flowing smoothly today while typing!

All morning on ESPN radio I heard various talking heads saying that Chip Kelly is done in the NFL and that his system won't work in the NFL.  First, let me say that Kelly wasn't what I wanted during the hiring search... but anything is better than the homeless guy we fired last year.  Before anyone can pass judgement on Kelly's offense, I'd kind of like to see it run by someone a little better than Blaine Gabbert!  The system may not work, but thank God Bill Walsh wasn't stuck trying to introduce the West Coast offense to the NFL with Steve DeBerg at quarterback!!!!

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I saw a graphic yesterday pointing out how far under the cap the Niners are and that they started moving that direction right after Levi's open.  The point the picture was making was that the York family tried to win just enough to get the cash-cow built and then went cheap immediately thereafter.  I hope that's not true.  But it sure feels like it...

Well see how that works out for them. I saw a lot of empty seats last night.

I hate to defend the York/Baalke regime, but it is not the case that Jim Harbaugh was let go with no reason.

He is reported to have exlcluded Baalke and York from meetings, telling them the meetings were for grown-ups.

Their only choice was to fire themselves or him.  And why they may have made the wrong choice there, there aren't many folks who would fire themselves under such circumstance.

Yeah, York handled this Kaepernick/Anthem thing perfectly, but other than that it's been a string of fuck-ups...and of the worst kind. First with Harbaugh, then last year with Kaepernick they developed a pattern of; 

1) turn on a guy

2) start heavy 'leak' campaign of criticisms/talk of X being disliked/vague rumours of misconduct

3) once the leaks have focused fan blame on target, pull the plug (or try)

4) then openly throw him under bus, suggest he's primarily to blame for failures.

What amazed me the second time around was that it was so effective even when fans were coming to terms with the fact that the first one had been complete bullshit.  

2 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I hate to defend the York/Baalke regime, but it is not the case that Jim Harbaugh was let go with no reason.

He is reported to have exlcluded Baalke and York from meetings, telling them the meetings were for grown-ups.

Their only choice was to fire themselves or him.  And why they may have made the wrong choice there, there aren't many folks who would fire themselves under such circumstance.

I'd question those 'reports', but when you're telling players to risk their brains/bodies for even a shot at success, you can't sabotage extreme success because of a difficult working relationship. You find a way to make it work, period.

5 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Toys to give your children to play with:

Legos
Barbies
Hot Wheels
49ers

If I was a breeder, I wouldn't let my children play with a 49er. That gives boys and girls unrealistic expectations of how easy it is to extort 3/4 of a billion dollars out of a city.

7 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting Harbaugh was blameless. There were a number of indications that he was difficult to work with. That said, when a guy takes a team that couldn't crack .500 before he got there to 2 NFC Championships and a Superbowl in 3 consecutive seasons, you learn to deal with those idiosyncrasies, methinks.

14 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting Harbaugh was blameless. There were a number of indications that he was difficult to work with. That said, when a guy takes a team that couldn't crack .500 before he got there to 2 NFC Championships and a Superbowl in 3 consecutive seasons, you learn to deal with those idiosyncrasies, methinks.

Yeah, that's where I come down.  Maybe if they had been acting like grown-ups, he wouldn't have to exclude them from the grown up meetings...

When I'm throwing blame around, I'm going to look at what the franchise did for 10 years.

2006:  7-9

2007:  5-11

2008:  7-9

2009:  8-8

2010: 6-10

2011: 13-3

2012: 11-4-1

2013: 12-4

2014: 8-8

2015: 5-11

2016: 1-5

In 2008, Jed York was named team president at the experienced age of 28.

Trent Baalke has been with the organization since 2005, starting as a scout and then VP of Player Personnel just before becoming GM prior to the hiring of Harbaugh.

Looking over that list of records and thinking of the three guys we're talking about; I know which one I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt.  I also agree that when someone is that successful, you find a way to work with him.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I think it just means that Baalke's fucked up so bad that even Stephen A Smith can get that right.

Reports are coming out that the Niners and Kaepernick are getting close to a restructured deal.  :stunned: 

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 38m38 minutes ago

#49ers and QB Colin Kaepernick are closing in on a restructured contract to alleviate concerns regarding injury guarantees, source said.

ETA:  And now Bleacher Report is reporting that Kaepernick will start week six at Buffalo.   This despite "reportedly been outplayed by Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder in practice."  Apparently, the hope is that he's a "gamer."

Ah well... get it out there on the field and in the open just how terrible he is and then we can move along.

Worst case scenario is that he does just enough to win 5-6 games and then leaves in free agency and ruins any chance the Niners have of getting a high draft pick for a QB. 

Ahhhhh... who am I kidding.  With a high draft pick we'd blow it on a wide receiver or a defensive back coming off a knee surgery.  Because Baalke.

Archived