College Football 2016 - B1G expectations

dbunting

Congratulations to Washington - their long-suffering fans finally appear to have turned the corner, and done so with a coaching style that would make Don James proud. It's been a long 12 years of suffering for them, and I hope that they appreciate the magnitude of today's win.

15 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I've had prior engagements all day so I'm just now finishing the UK-Vandy game on DVR... so UK won in unimpressing fashion?  Go Cats!  A win is a win is a win yada yada... need 2 more wins next 2 games versus Miss St. and Mizzou just to reach a mediochre bowl... still not holding my breath.  Catching up on the rest of the action... 

You can do it!  State and Mizzou are both awful. Neither has the defense Vandy has.

Rutgers has 10 yards of offense with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. That is historic.

Also, this is looking like the best year for CFB in quite a while. There are some REALLY good teams this year. This is Saban's best Bama team by a pretty decent margin. Washington looks like a best.  Ohio State and Michigan are on a crash course for an epic playin game to the playoff. Clemson has been a little shaky at times this year, but still have most of the talent from last year's runner-up. The Big Xii has... well, let's not talk about the Big XII.

Still, after last year's down year, we have some really freaking good teams this year.

10 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

You can do it!  State and Mizzou are both awful. Neither has the defense Vandy has.

Hope is still alive!  If just barely.  I'm baffled why Boom Williams is only getting limited carries... I'm thinking he's maybe injured but nobody in the media has asked Stoops about it.  True freshmen Benny Snell is proving to be a star if he stays healthy, but I'm still confused why Boom isn't getting more touches.

16 hours ago, sperry said:

Mighty Rutgers has lost their last two games a combined 136-0.

Rutgers is epically bad.  Aside from a few solid years circa 2005 when Sciano was the coach they have been terrible throughout the modern era of college football.  WVU, for example, was riding a 17 game win streak when the series ended due to realignment, had only lost to Rutgers 4 times out of 40 tries, and has never lost to Rugers in Morgantown.  In 2001 Rutgers got beat by WVU 80-7.  

One of my best friends is a Rutgers fan and I actually feel a little bad for him.  I really think that program is now doomed in an impossible circunstance and that sucks as a fan if you want your team to be at all competitive.

Rutgers was brought into the B1G for four reasons - to give the B1G a tv foothold in New York City, to give B1G alums in NYC a game nearby that they can attend, to give the B1G first access to recruits coming out of NJ (and I don't mean for Rutgers), and so PSU, OSU, Michigan, and MSU would get an annual punching bag in a very tough division.  None of which really does anything for Rutgers' competitiveness as a program.  In the basement they will dwell.... and in the B1G east division they aren't ever getting out no matter how much of a revenue boost they get from B1G money.  

They're going to be even harder pressed to convince the handful of really good recruits coming out of NJ each year to stay at home when their role is clearly to be whipping boy for some of the most historic programs of all time.  At least they're getting paid I guess.

24 minutes ago, S John said:

Rutgers is epically bad.  Aside from a few solid years circa 2005 when Sciano was the coach they have been terrible throughout the modern era of college football.  WVU, for example, was riding a 17 game win streak when the series ended due to realignment, had only lost to Rutgers 4 times out of 40 tries, and has never lost to Rugers in Morgantown.  In 2001 Rutgers got beat by WVU 80-7.  

One of my best friends is a Rutgers fan and I actually feel a little bad for him.  I really think that program is now doomed in an impossible circunstance and that sucks as a fan if you want your team to be at all competitive.

Rutgers was brought into the B1G for four reasons - to give the B1G a tv foothold in New York City, to give B1G alums in NYC a game nearby that they can attend, to give the B1G first access to recruits coming out of NJ (and I don't mean for Rutgers), and so PSU, OSU, Michigan, and MSU would get an annual punching bag in a very tough division.  None of which really does anything for Rutgers' competitiveness as a program.  In the basement they will dwell.... and in the B1G east division they aren't ever getting out no matter how much of a revenue boost they get from B1G money.  

They're going to be even harder pressed to convince the handful of really good recruits coming out of NJ each year to stay at home when their role is clearly to be whipping boy for some of the most historic programs of all time.  At least they're getting paid I guess.

It's a tough situation for sure. But there are coaches winning at Washington State and at Kansas State. Which means you can win anywhere.

They need to run the true air raid. No, you're never gonna win a national championship with that system, but you can get to 7-8 win seasons consistently.

Michigan rolled this week, which was expected but damn, and they played 2nd and 3rd stringers the entire 2nd half. I wasn't too happy about Harbaugh going for 2 when Michigan was up like 20 points already in the 1st half, don't understand that. Why show your 2 pt sneak to other teams when it wasn't needed? To me it seemed like a game that was more about recruiting than anything else.

I still see OSU as the better team, OSU vs Alabama would be a hell of a game. Nice to see Navy get a big win and expose Houston a little bit. Tennessee game, hell I thought for sure they were going to pull another one out of their asses.

Nebraska is making 50 million in TV money next year and in no way, shape, or form, is making any plans to jump back to the dysfunctional family of a conference that is the Big 12. No way. Anyone who suggests it is stupid. There may be a couple of fans (no more than like, 15, tops) who pine for the old days. What the hell would we be jumping back to? Colorado's gone. Missu's, gone. TAM, gone. Maybe get to start playing WV every year! Yeah!

Nebraska has stopped recruiting Texas and started recruiting California instead. 

2 hours ago, Bennis of the Brown Stench said:

Clemson is the best team because of Watson

They will win in the end

So based on that brilliant insight, data usage and flip of the coin, why didn't they win last year when he was there?

Archived