Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Has anyone watched The Kettering Incident? I've read some rave reviews, but also some that say it's too dull and drawn-out, etc.

I did, and I'm going to have to agree with the too dull and drawn-out reviews.  I watched it less than two months ago, and can barely remember anything about it.

I've been rewatching season 1 of The Expanse this week, and I'm on episode 9 and 10 tonight.  Can't wait for season 2!

Saw the film Passengers. Put my two cents about it here.

Finished S1 of Fresh off the Boat--finally. I've had so much other stuff that the last few episodes kept getting pushed back in my queue. It's heavy on the member berry juice for the 90s and is basically your standard sit-com tropes but with Chinese family. Now to start on S2. 

We've been watching a lot of old Poirot and Miss Marples this month. It's great for spotting actors in a 'before they were famous' way, plus some great cameos. Carey Mulligan was in one, along with the sidekick blond guy from Lewis. Even Harry Enfield, playing some awful upper class twit. And I love all the hair, costumes, make up etc. I think anyone who likes Downton Abbey or period pieces would enjoy it. 

11 hours ago, williamjm said:

Watched the first episode of the newest attempt at filming Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. It seemed reasonably good, and Elijah Wood is good at the series of baffled expressions that the role of a Douglas Adams protagonist requires. It only seemed to have fairly vague connections to the plot of the books, and the tone feels a bit different - while it might have the same amount of weirdness it felt like there was less comedy. 

Granted I haven't seen any other attempts at adaptation or read the books, but I thought it was really good at balancing humour and plot. Was a really whimsical and weird show. Enjoyed it a lot, and yes Elijah Wood was really good as Todd, and had great chemistry with Samuel Barnett on the screen. 

I decided to watch John Wick again after enjoying the trailer for the sequel. That film was definitely better than I remembered. I gave it an 8 at the time, but it deserves more really. One of the best action films I have seen in a long time. I'll bump it up to a 9 or perhaps even a 10/

I feel like I've watched all the good tv of 2016.  This week I've watched Travelers, enjoyed it.  Rewatched The Expanse and Sense8 in the background, enjoyed it again.  (don't judge my tv habits.  Been stuck indoors at home with sick baby for two weeks now).  I can't find anything else good to watch.

Always glad to hear someone enjoyed Black Dynamite, which is my favorite comedy ever. Just never tire of it. I recently had a friend recommend Sense8, sounds like some of you also give it a nod of approval. A binge is in order.

I absolutely love John Wick as well, and am more pysched up to see the sequel than I should be. The original pairs well with The Equalizer, the Denzel flick that's basically the same premise and nearly as satisfying.

Just saw Marina, a Belgian film about Rocco Granata (famous for the song Marina). It's trash, don't see it. I had seen bits and pieces of the thing (mostly the first part) and I thought it was rather good based on that, but now that I have seen the entire film it just stinks. It was sold as a biopic, but the entire romance plot (with a gratuitous rape plot in the third act) appears to be bogus, just like much of the conflict in this film. I hate it when movies do that, it feels like I'm being cheated.

It's also pretty bad as far as fiction goes. To give an example, the girl playing the love interest is named Helena, but a large part of the film revolves around Rocco inventing his most famous song (Marina) on the spot while he's singing to her at a dance... What kind of a stupid love plot is that? Why would he invent a serenade about a brunette named Marina while he's trying to woo a blonde named Helena? It doesn't make sense really, if they had to make this whole love plot completely fictional, they should have just named the broad Marina and be done with it.

It's a pity that they choose to build their film on such shaky foundations, because it's quite competently made. However, they should either have turned this into a completely fictional story or told an actual biographical story rooted in facts. 

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I absolutely love John Wick as well, and am more pysched up to see the sequel than I should be. The original pairs well with The Equalizer, the Denzel flick that's basically the same premise and nearly as satisfying.

I like to think of The Equalizer as a sequel to Man on Fire.

I only got to watch half of The Equalizer though, should finish that up someday...

I saw the first two episodes of Quarry just now. Colour me impressed. I was expecting Banshee in the seventies, but it's more reminiscent of the good season of True Detective so far. I like the setting, the characters and the action so far has been pretty good. I also love the way it's all put together, it's just really moody and contemplative so far. I like that combination. I'm curious to see where this goes. 

One thing though, for all the people who have seen it already:

Spoiler

The money is totally in that damn basketball right?

La La Land was superb, enjoyed by my struggling artist / professional dancer date and my completely untalented, non-musical watching self. She said Gosling was shockingly good at dancing for someone who isn't a lifelong vet. I'm not sure I'd call it a Best Picture film, but it was terrific fun regardless.

11 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I saw the first two episodes of Quarry just now. Colour me impressed. I was expecting Banshee in the seventies, but it's more reminiscent of the good season of True Detective so far. I like the setting, the characters and the action so far has been pretty good. I also love the way it's all put together, it's just really moody and contemplative so far. I like that combination. I'm curious to see where this goes. 

One thing though, for all the people who have seen it already:

Right? It exceeded my expectations as well. The performances were all strong as hell and the show didn't go where I thought it would settle into, which was very refreshing. Still waiting to hear that it's been renewed.

On 12/29/2016 at 9:02 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I did, and I'm going to have to agree with the too dull and drawn-out reviews.  I watched it less than two months ago, and can barely remember anything about it.

Ok, I'll skip it then.

Finally got around to seeing Hail Caesar. It's...not very good, imo. I don't think I've ever been that bored watching a Coen bros movie before. Glad I skipped it in the theater. All I have left is Hudsucker Proxy, and I've seen their entire filmography.

On 12/20/2016 at 5:54 AM, polishgenius said:

I like Hudsucker Proxy better than the Coen bros movies that I'm supposed to like. I remember seeing it shortly after it was released, Tim Robbins was on fire in late 94 due to Shawshank.

To me it's their movie that should be treated like big lebowski.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Finally got around to seeing Hail Caesar. It's...not very good, imo. I don't think I've ever been that bored watching a Coen bros movie before. Glad I skipped it in the theater. All I have left is Hudsucker Proxy, and I've seen their entire filmography.

There's still a few I haven't seen, but I think Hail Caesar might be the weakest out of the Coen brothers films I have seen.

17 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Totally agree about Hail Caesar.... I think you'll like Hudsucker

Archived