Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

12 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

^^ The Committments is one of my all-time favorite films. So brilliant.

strange how most of the cast never did much acting afterwards! but wow, if this was gonna be the one film you ever made, what a film to be a part of !!!

I just heard that Scrotal Recall, now renamed Lovesick, will have a second season released on Netflix in November, so I went back and rewatched the first season in just one sitting.  

It's very good and held up just as well on a second watching (albeit with months elapsed).  It flew under the radar because of the odd name but it's like How I Met Your Mother with a lot less cheesiness, a toned-down Barney, and subtler, snappier jokes.  With only six episodes (British TV) in the first season, it's so much subtler in conveying the story and the situation, and doesn't bloat pointlessly like most American TV.  The first episode sets it up very well but the laughs really pick up from the second onward. 

Be warned, at core it is a lovelorn, bittersweet romcom that leaves you shipping Dylan and Evie. 

Last night I watched Room, which was actually really good and far more enjoyable than I expected it to be. Thought Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay were brilliant in it.

Right now I'm re-watching Death Becomes Her. I will never tire of this film.

I watched Spotlight last night which was, unsurprisingly, very good. It was more about the journalism involved than I was expecting.

I've been watching Luke Cage but I'm struggling to get through it a bit. I liked him as a character from Jessica Jones and the blaxploitation theme is clever and it's well done but I don't think I really like it as a show.

I watched Joe Rogan's new comedy special, TRIGGERED, on Netflix. It was funny but not as provocative as I expected. Joe is mellowing out with fatherhood, which he addresses in the special.

On 10/20/2016 at 1:09 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I watched The Commitments the other day and LOVED it 

Yeah, I just double checked on IMDB, and no one except the director, who already had a little career, ever really did anything big after that. It's still a great film. I grew up on Motown and soul music, so that film is just like comfort food for my soul.

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I watched Joe Rogan's new comedy special, TRIGGERED, on Netflix. It was funny but not as provocative as I expected. Joe is mellowing out with fatherhood, which he addresses in the special.

Yeah, I just double checked on IMDB, and no one except the director, who already had a little career, ever really did anything big after that. It's still a great film. I grew up on Motown and soul music, so that film is just like comfort food for my soul.

Maria Doyle Kennedy has done alright and has a fairly big role in Orphan Black at the moment.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Last night I watched Room, which was actually really good and far more enjoyable than I expected it to be. Thought Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay were brilliant in it.

Good movie. Although, I find stuff like that more disturbing than any supernatural/horror movies ever could be. It definitely stayed with me a while after watching it. 

Disappointed with the crop of new tv, I rewatched season 1 of Chuck over the past week.  It's amazing how they worked so many "throw away lines" into the story in later seasons.  It does certainly show its age now though - I can't believe it's been 9 years! - just because of how much technology has advanced since it was first released (it reminds me of the jokes in Kingsman about their tech).  I think this might still be my favorite pilot of any television show ever.

On 10/11/2016 at 7:54 PM, WarGalley said:

I watched the first episode of Westworld (streaming for free) and wow. This is about to be my new favorite show. It's a perfect example of taking an unoriginal premise and doing it creatively in splendid fashion. I keep re-watching the scene where Paint It Black is playing. They even managed to take an old song (one for which I'm not even a diehard fan) and make it into a completely awesome modern one. And the acting in the 'Meet my Maker" scene... fantastic. I love how the

Reveal hidden contents

robots are becoming naturally human and monstrous due to the trauma we as humans put them through. Creatures learning and evolving out of our behavior. Couldn't help but think of Microsoft's AI twitter account that turned into a Nazi after being published to the world. We are sadistic people.

. I don't generally like the horror genre but I am definitely curious to see how dark they take this show. And did they really plan out a full 5 seasons? I'm in for the ride. I hope my expectations aren't too high.

I think I'm going to pay for HBO Now just so I can watch all of it and keep up with the conversation.

Man I really wish I "got" this show the way everybody in the show's thread does, because while I thought it looked pretty, it's just one cliché after another.  Hopefully it can move away from that, but I'm doubtful at this point... I realized today that I had yet to watch episode three yet.  Maybe I'll just wait until the season is over and binge the rest.

On 10/14/2016 at 11:23 PM, briantw said:

Hard to trust anyone who doesn't like dogs.  

Snark or honest to goodness bigotry?  

Watched The Martian last night and I think they did a great job adapting the book. The book had a great idea for a story but dragged it out, contained some of the worst dialogue I've read in years, and also had needless objectifying of a minor female character. The screenplay got rid of all the crappy things about the book, without diluting the annoying personality of the protagonist which I can live with. Oh, the last scene in the film though, I thought was handled badly, heavy handed, crass, and just needless really... Was that bit written by Andy Weir? :P 

Also did a re watch of High Rise, which I still think is a fantastic film and a fine adaptation. Then I went on IMDB and laughed at all the bad reviews. The film obviously asks too much of its audience, to understand a basic theme.

Yeah i thought thought the martian was a fantastic adaptation too. The martian i mean. As for high rise I thought it was a good movie. Not as good as the book though. I am watching Forrest gimp and its an enjoyable movie but really the plot is so stupid. A SLOW MAN IS ABLE TO WALK INTO HUNDREDS OF HISTORICAL EVENTS. 

I watched Jack Reacher : Never Go Back. It's a decent thriller that does what it does well enough without doing anything particularly new or noteworthy. Fortunately, I've not read any of the books so I don't have the problem many people have of comparing Tom Cruise's stature to the character from the books.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I watched Jack Reacher : Never Go Back. It's a decent thriller that does what it does well enough without doing anything particularly new or noteworthy. Fortunately, I've not read any of the books so I don't have the problem many people have of comparing Tom Cruise's stature to the character from the books.

I saw it too.... One takeaway I had is that its time that Tom Cruise keeps his shirt on....lol.... I get that he's in his 50's.... and all things considered, he looks great.... but his moobs are hanging a little too low to do the whole "Clark Gable in It Happened One Night" thing....

9 hours ago, Wrl6199 said:

Yeah i thought thought the martian was a fantastic adaptation too. The martian i mean. As for high rise I thought it was a good movie. Not as good as the book though. I am watching Forrest gimp and its an enjoyable movie but really the plot is so stupid. A SLOW MAN IS ABLE TO WALK INTO HUNDREDS OF HISTORICAL EVENTS. 

Forrest Gump is about 8 hours* of my life I will never get back. What a terrible, stupid snooze fest that turned out to be.

*not actually an 8 hour film but sure felt like it

46 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Forrest Gump is about 8 hours* of my life I will never get back. What a terrible, stupid snooze fest that turned out to be.

*not actually an 8 hour film but sure felt like it

I take it you dint like it?

10 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Forrest Gump gets a lot of flak here. Probably well deserved, but I don't think I've ever seen a positive comment about it on this site besides you saying it's enjoyable.

All I can think about when people are being critical of FG is Jay Baruchel slamming it in This Is the End, and getting labeled a hipster for doing so. :lol:

But yeah,  fuck FG. In what world is it a better movie than Pulp Fiction or Shawshank Redemption? Gtfo.

Archived