china mieville

sologdin

as I recall IC--

Spoiler

the arrest of the finland-station moment is regarded as an unauthorized anti-democratic usurpation.  it makes a nice museum, but worthy of party discipline, no?

that discipline parallels what happens to the anarchist, surely?

fuck, i need to re-read.

His next work is going to be a book on the Russian revolution - http://www.thebookseller.com/news/verso-buys-mie-ville-russian-revolution-416701

Science fiction and fantasy novelist China Miéville is to make a rare foray into non-fiction to pen a “labour of love” history of the Russian revolution for indie press Verso.

Editor Sebastian Budgen bought world rights to October: The Story of the Russian Revolution through Mic Cheetham Associates.

He said Miéville has “long been inspired by the ideals of the Russian revolution” and would provide “his own distinctive take on its history”.

• 1 month later...

I loved Railsea. The humour was reminscent of Peake. It's quite cutesy in the best possible way. 

I just need to read Embassytown then I'll be caught up with all but the most recent couple of titles. 

On 26-10-2016 at 6:53 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

His next work is going to be a book on the Russian revolution - http://www.thebookseller.com/news/verso-buys-mie-ville-russian-revolution-416701

Comes out remarkably quick, May 2017 already.

https://www.amazon.com/October-Russian-Revolution-China-Miéville/dp/1784782777

I am very interested in this. At the same time I still have Robert Massie's classic "Nicholas and Alexandra" unread on the shelf, so am wondering if it's too much of the same thing.

2 hours ago, Contrarius+ said:

I finish Perdido Street Station, my first Mieville ever, just a coupla days ago. I thought it was pretty brilliant -- will definitely be reading more. :D

But oh Lin, my Lin. :crying::crying:

Glad you liked it tho. :) You should absolutely try The Scar.

How sad is it that this is the most excited i've been about a book by a genre author for a while? :-( I miss the pleasure of fiction but can't seem to regain the capacity for it lately. Grrrr. But there is a shortage of a contemporary, professional but accessible one-volume history of the revolution, I think. At least, I know it's something i've kept an eye out for years, and have yet to spot an attractive one.

I have finally got my hands on Last Days of New Paris.  Halfway through and it has caught me much more than some of his others from the start; perhaps knowing its short length was a benefit here?

But damn I need a guide book.  My knowledge of surrealist art work is apparently none. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 50th and final book of 2016 is This Census Taker and I feel pretty confident that I'll get to the end none the wiser about what is actually going on.

I'm definitely going to try to get up to date with Mieville before his next book is released. One of my many reading goals for 2017. 

Either PSS or The Scar. They were the first and second, respectively, that I read. If you don't enjoy the weirdness of those two then he probably isn't for you.

People generally agree that Kraken is one of his weaker books.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So happy to have some news from that! I was afraid it might be stuck in development hell. Very curious to see how they are going to bring this to the screen.

I've actually been enjoying Mieville's more recent work a lot - I think Embassytown is my favourite book of his - but yeah, I hope he writes another big genre book. His short story collection and novella's were great but haven't fully scratched my Mieville itch.

Archived