Anime

The Grey Wolf

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

What would you tell someone who has not yet invested a single second into Naruro. Yay or Nay?

It's my favourite long running anime but I started it back in 2003. To start from scratch would probably be an overwhelming task as there's 720 episodes. The good news is you can check out "filler lists" which cuts the number down but you're still looking at at least 350 episodes (and some of the later filler in shipuuden is quite good).

But if you like cool magic ninja fights that can go on for hours it's worth a shot. Plus the characters are all very likeable.

I'd definitely start from Naruto though as shipuuden is the same show but with a 2 year gap. I think the first few episodes are mainly training episodes so if you do try it out watch until episode 12 as 6-12 is more indicative of the show in general. If you don't really feel it at that point it might be time to quit. Although there's an arc called the chuunin exams that introduces a load of new cast members with cool powers and a run of episodes that have the young ninjas take part in one on ine fights that are really good (I'm tempted to rewatch that arc). Those are eps 20+

It's really worth checking the filler lists if you get into it though as there were times i almost quit until a friend pointed out it was material made for the show and that they'd return to adapted material once it was available. I still find it crazy how the anime could be produced quicker than the manga.

If you like Ninja fight anime and have less time then "basilisk" is worth a shot. 26 episodes and essentially one on magic ninja fights too.

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's my favourite long running anime but I started it back in 2003. To start from scratch would probably be an overwhelming task as there's 720 episodes. The good news is you can check out "filler lists" which cuts the number down but you're still looking at at least 350 episodes (and some of the later filler in shipuuden is quite good).

But if you like cool magic ninja fights that can go on for hours it's worth a shot. Plus the characters are all very likeable.

I'd definitely start from Naruto though as shipuuden is the same show but with a 2 year gap. I think the first few episodes are mainly training episodes so if you do try it out watch until episode 12 as 6-12 is more indicative of the show in general. If you don't really feel it at that point it might be time to quit. Although there's an arc called the chuunin exams that introduces a load of new cast members with cool powers and a run of episodes that have the young ninjas take part in one on ine fights that are really good (I'm tempted to rewatch that arc). Those are eps 20+

It's really worth checking the filler lists if you get into it though as there were times i almost quit until a friend pointed out it was material made for the show and that they'd return to adapted material once it was available. I still find it crazy how the anime could be produced quicker than the manga.

If you like Ninja fight anime and have less time then "basilisk" is worth a shot. 26 episodes and essentially one on magic ninja fights too.

Thanks. I'm not too worried about the number of episodes. I got caught up on One Piece, so I should be able to do it again. I usually do skip filler episodes for these type of shows, but if the later ones are good I'll probably watch them anyways.

Especially since the show is on Netflix right now.

13 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Thanks. I'm not too worried about the number of episodes. I got caught up on One Piece, so I should be able to do it again. I usually do skip filler episodes for these type of shows, but if the later ones are good I'll probably watch them anyways.

Especially since the show is on Netflix right now.

I think one piece is even more epic in length and it's still airing? So you can probably manage Naruto. Give it a try - I remember being addicted to it when I first started and got through the first 70 episodes in a few weeks.

I've often considered One Piece but I fear that ship has sailed :P

I've debated trying Bleach never got past episode 1. FMA:Brotherhood is high on the list because it's a finished series. I still have over 100 NAruto episodes left and then there's the next gen:Boruto show (which I've heard is pretty good)

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think one piece is even more epic in length and it's still airing? So you can probably manage Naruto. Give it a try - I remember being addicted to it when I first started and got through the first 70 episodes in a few weeks.

1) I've often considered One Piece but I fear that ship has sailed :P

2) I've debated trying Bleach never got past episode 1. FMA:Brotherhood is high on the list because it's a finished series. I still have over 100 NAruto episodes left and then there's the next gen:Boruto show (which I've heard is pretty good)

1) One Piece..... I started it last year for reasons I can't remember, and I'm not sure if it was worth it. Now I've put in so much time, I can't not continue watching it. Yes, there are a few amazing scenes in its 800+ and counting episodes but if you haven't watched it yet I wouldn't recommend becoming invested. (One Piece has a lot of filler too, and it is NOT GOOD)

2) Bleach is one of those shows that has cool fight scenes, but a disappointing story. It's at least made bearable by the fact the first 3 seasons (the initial story) is only around 60-70 episodes if I'm remembering right. 

On 26.11.2017 at 9:59 AM, red snow said:

Yes, the filler episodes/arcs are really something you can happily scratch. Most of them are not even any good.

On a semi-seperate note. Boruto (successor show) is kinda okayish. And there are not that many eps out, yet. And it's not that surprising, when the manga output is a chapter/month.  And that depending on the chapter, that's maybe 10-20 minutes of airtime.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Yes, the filler episodes/arcs are really something you can happily scratch. Most of them are not even any good.

On a semi-seperate note. Boruto (successor show) is kinda okayish. And there are not that many eps out, yet. And it's not that surprising, when the manga output is a chapter/month.  And that depending on the chapter, that's maybe 10-20 minutes of airtime.

I'm definitely noticing an improvement with the filler from the akutsuki origins arc onwards. Not sure if they had different people involved in the writing or if it's a reflection on the genuine canon material but I've found them all to be watchable since then (I skipped mecha naruto though as that instantly felt like skippable filler). I guess I could technically skip the "new chuunin exams" as it's out of sync chronology wise but I actually like a break from the neverending Madara/ninja war.

I think I'll be taking a break from the world of naruto if/and when I finish the main show. Maybe by then there'll be enough Boruto to binge that.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm definitely noticing an improvement with the filler from the akutsuki origins arc onwards. Not sure if they had different people involved in the writing or if it's a reflection on the genuine canon material but I've found them all to be watchable since then (I skipped mecha naruto though as that instantly felt like skippable filler). I guess I could technically skip the "new chuunin exams" as it's out of sync chronology wise but I actually like a break from the neverending Madara/ninja war.

I think I'll be taking a break from the world of naruto if/and when I finish the main show. Maybe by then there'll be enough Boruto to binge that.

Thanks for the Naruto rec. On episode 40 right now. Enjoying it so far.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Well, I know there are people who like the Kabuto mullet (aka Power) arc, but I didn't like it. But I have thus far seen nobody who actually liked Yota. That Chunin arc is great though, I agree with you there (Fu is awesome). Though, I really enjoyed Madara. Small spoiler tag for Kaniggit.

Spoiler

Madara, asking the five Kage whether his clones should use a susanoo, too was pretty epic.

So how do other people watch anime? Though I can't speak Japanese, for my first viewing of a new show I always watch it in Japanese with English subtitles. Not only is the dialogue usually better than the translation, but I continuously pick up more Japanese words. (Still having trouble with sentence structure/verbs. Doubt I'll get those unless I attend a class/meet a native speaker. And I probably pronounce the words I've learned atrociously)

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

So how do other people watch anime? Though I can't speak Japanese, for my first viewing of a new show I always watch it in Japanese with English subtitles.

That's my preference too, but it does require more constant attention to the screen to avoid missing anything, so isn't very compatible with multitasking like eating a meal in front of the TV.

10 hours ago, felice said:

That's my preference too, but it does require more constant attention to the screen to avoid missing anything, so isn't very compatible with multitasking like eating a meal in front of the TV.

Yeah, but this also one of the reasons why I do it. It actually forces me to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 9:40 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

So how do other people watch anime? Though I can't speak Japanese, for my first viewing of a new show I always watch it in Japanese with English subtitles. Not only is the dialogue usually better than the translation, but I continuously pick up more Japanese words. (Still having trouble with sentence structure/verbs. Doubt I'll get those unless I attend a class/meet a native speaker. And I probably pronounce the words I've learned atrociously)

I'm used to watch anything in its original language with subs. With anime in particular, I used to watch some fan subs that explained further more some idiomatic expressions, jokes, terms or cultural references that were difficult to translate. Maybe a bit distracting at first, but when you get used it's pretty cool. 

With your issue with sentence structures... sadly I have to tell you that anime is not the best school. You'll learn a lot of vocabulary, but better learn some Japanese from somewhere else if you want to learn something worth of using in a normal conversation. 

ETA: Try finding the book Minna no Nihongo, with an English guide. You'll need to learn hiragana and katakana beforehand, but it's pretty useful.

• 1 month later...

So Seven Deadly Sins season 2 finally started coming out a few weeks ago. I've already seen the first 3 episodes, and the plot twists are coming hard and fast this season. Think I'm going to go my usual route and wait for 2 episodes before watching, instead of seeing them as they come out.

Currently stalled on both Naruto and Soul Eater. I'm liking them both, I just can't seem to find time to binge them. At the very least I want to finish Soul Eater before the 22nd.

Looks like Dragon Ball Super is winding down. I still think Gohan and Hit went out without really giving it their all.

• 2 weeks later...

As Netflix’s onslaught of original programming continues, one of the next targets in its sights is the popular VR-themed anime Sword Art Online. Altered Carbon creator Laeta Kalogridis has confirmed her involvement as executive producer on the project.

Speaking recently with Collider, Laeta Kalogridis, the creator behind Altered Carbon’s own novel-to-Netflix treatment, confirmed that a live action adaptation of the Sword Art Online anime is coming to Netflix. While Kalogridis wrote the pilot and will serve as the executive producer, the series’ chief creative role will be shared by veteran TV creators John Zinman and Patrick Massett.

Archived