Anime

The Grey Wolf

21 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Ok, I'm kind of under-selling it. The world building is excellent (that's why it's so popular), you've got tons of nice characters (everyone will find *their* character) and the fights are totally worth it (though in the first anime they suffer from the "dragon ball" syndrome, which is to say they can take waaaaay too long). It's just that the target audience is very obviously young boys so it shows. It's still written well enough for tons of geeks throughout the world to have loved it. I'd daresay anyone who's liked Avatar the Last Airbender is likely to enjoy Naruto as well and vice-versa.

Don't worry, I appreciate non spoilers!:P (I definitely didn't use the best words to respond but I got the premise, so that's what I what was referring to). I know it's difficult to describe a series without telling them. I like world building, though.

Mmm....I enjoyed Dragon Ball back in my childhood and teen years (maybe because I started watching them very young and everyone watched them, so I did as well), although I'm not sure if I'd like to watch something like this again. The length is what I am referring to....also now I'm not into battles as much. Not sure if this is an important part of the anime, though.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Mmm....I enjoyed Dragon Ball back in my childhood and teen years (maybe because I started watching them very young and everyone watched them, so I did as well), although I'm not sure if I'd like to watch something like this again. The length is what I am referring to....also now I'm not into battles as much. Not sure if this is an important part of the anime, though.

Oh, my sweet summer child...

If you're afraid of length, stay far away from Naruto. There's something like 700 episodes with the fillers (720 according to wikipedia) and quite a few movies as well (though I believe almost all of them are fillers and can be ignored with one exception). The first series alone has 9 seasons: 136 episodes + 84 fillers.
And yes, battles are an important part of the anime.

It's why I said these shônens are best read: reading is considerably faster than watching the anime. I've only watched around 400 episodes myself (I ignored nearly all the fillers) but finished the 72 volumes of the manga.

9 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I think Cowboy Bebop is the Firefly of anime. They both are one-of-a-kind shows with an almost unique atmosphere that makes them incredibly cool. They were both elevated to "mythical" status because there was something groundbreaking about them upon release. But you have to be into the "Western science-fiction" genre and they are both a bit old now.
This being said... Funnily enough, Cowboy Bebop actually has character heavy drama and a mystery component at its heart. Maybe you should give it another try. I can't remember in which episode you start having the first elements of the main plot, but it does take a bit of time.

I tend to just think of it as "Firefly done right" since I'm in the minority of nerds that didn't love Firefly :P I do remember taking more than 4 episodes to get into it, episodic narrative generally isn't my thing. Somewhere along the way I fell in love with it, and it is absolutely the atmosphere but I'd also say its a character driven narrative which does generally work for me. There are some break downs of the technical skill exhibited by it that really enhance my appreciation of it as well, I love when you can pick it apart and have the mastery on display pointed out to you without knowing the craft yourself. I watched it around 2007-2008, so it wasn't nostalgia in my case, and by the time it finished I thought it was the best anime I'd seen (I'd still peg it there) and has one of the most perfect endings of anything ever.

Re: Length of shonen - One Piece just cleared 900 chapters in the manga, the anime is up to 835 now. Its a ridiculously imposing thing to try and start, and the excessive recap times at the start of the episode etc don't help (they're one of the ways it does 'filler') - if you get in a groove of where you need to skip to at the start of each episode, cutting out the previously and the intro+credits gets it down to like 17 minutes per episode. I know there is a fan cut of it called One Pace which edits it to remove filler etc, but I think it only started a few arcs back - Punk Hazard. You'd still need to get that far on your own, or read the manga. The manga is fantastic though, Oda packs so much into his panels and normally a ton of panels per page - 1 chapter of bleach was the equivalent of like 2 pages of one piece.

22 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Oh, my sweet summer child...

If you're afraid of length, stay far away from Naruto. There's something like 700 episodes with the fillers (720 according to wikipedia) and quite a few movies as well (though I believe almost all of them are fillers and can be ignored with one exception). The first series alone has 9 seasons: 136 episodes + 84 fillers.
And yes, battles are an important part of the anime.

Oh, thanks for this advice.........seems to lengthy I'm afraid.:crying:

22 hours ago, Rippounet said:

It's why I said these shônens are best read: reading is considerably faster than watching the anime. I've only watched around 400 episodes myself (I ignored nearly all the fillers) but finished the 72 volumes of the manga.

It's been a long while since I don't read manga (I'm more into anime), but the few ones I used to read (basically Ranma, CCS, Conan...) it's true that they were quicker to read, and sometimes covering more important issues and less filler.

So... to any of those who wanted to watch Madoka Magica Rebellion: Did you get around to it and if yes, what are your thoughts about it? I also accept furious yelling noises! :P

Meanwhile I went on with my usual bunch. Steins;Gate 0 so far keeps being entertaining. I'm really warming up to Maho as a character, though I am a bit confused that it seems like they are introducing two new characters each episode... It's getting a bit confusing, but so far the show has somehow managed to juggle their screentime rather admirably.

And then I just watched the first Heaven's Feel movie in my ongoing masochistic struggle with the Fate-franchise. I actually had managed to finish the VN before it aired, so this time I knew what was awaiting me. And well... I have to say it is as faithful and beautiful an adaptation as I ever saw one. Smoothing things out for the movie format, but barely skipping anything necessary, adding instead a few subtle scenes that I kinda like and of cause it is ufotable, it's just a given. So everybody who liked the VN will adore it. I was not very impressed with the source material though, so an adaptation that takes the source material line by line is not what I seek. And from that perspective... well, I was not too aggravated so far. Just mildly annoyed that they aren't very brave. Spoilery thoughts below:

So... the stuff they expanded was just Shirou's and Sakura's backstory by adding a new prologue depicting how she came to help him out at his home. I'm not exactly sure what the point of that actually is, with him just having a broken arm. I think him having a severe fever would have made more sense for someone else to do the chores. It also utterly failed to show Sakura's perspective of how Shirou's house turned into a safe space from the abuse at home (something their fairly late talk in the shed actually managed to accomplish on its own).

Speaking of abuse... I think there was a faint attempt at fleshing out Shirou's and Shinji's friendship that popped up in regards to the photo of them smiling together Taiga looked at. But with no other context whatsoever and Shinji only ever being shown as jealous and angry at Shirou, this split second of a scene actually served as a reminder of what the new prologue also could have depicted instead. If they already ignore the story of Sakura's abuse as long as possible, they could have at least focused a bit on the story of a friendship fracturing when Shirou learns that Shinji beats his sister. I'm actually rather baffled why no adaptation ever is brave enough to show the two of them getting along. Instead Shinji always has to be this cartoonish caricature of a character.

And then of course there is one other thing I severely wished the movie would have focused on: The relationship of Rin and Sakura. Something I am very iffed about in the VN, given Rin's erratic and unrealistic behavior that only serves to keep the drama up. Or at least the lack of focuse that fails to give Rin enough room to explore just the utter horror of the situation she is in and the turmoil it causes in her heart. Fuck this, no matter where I look, I end up thinking that Stay Night really should have been Rin's story. In every direction she has far more interesting conflicts and she really is connected to the entire Grail War and its legacy in a way Shirou simply isn't. It's aggravating! Admittedly, it does show... in one scene of a few seconds at the end of the movie when she finds the cellar of the Matou residence and breaks down as it dawns upon her what happened to her sister. It was a decent scene in the VN, but in the movie it seems out of place since... Rin barely appears! In the first quarter her face isn't even shown and afterwards she barely shows up and has even fewer lines. Without any attention to her, there is this huge disconnect that really robs this revelation of all its impact (especially since it's randomly shoved in just as the viewer is struggling with Saber's death in the scene before, something that quite overshadows it).

So... that's it in regards to my complaints about stuff they really should have expanded upon. I see that it is a faithful adaptation and as a faithful adaptation Rin once again has to be shoved to the side... But they did add some scenes I liked. The one with Issei learning of Kuzuki's death of quite impactful, for all the good it did. Cu's expanded fight scene with Hassan was... well, it had some nice shots. Though I must say, Cu was oddly stiffly animated during many parts of it. The way he stood around uptight like a stone column... it really didn't seem natural. Especially given how he used to be charging into battle aggressive like a wild animal. It just didn't feel right.

Then of course there were cut things... The thing I am disappointed the most is that they didn't show Shirou exploring the Ryouudou temple and finding the dying Medea. I really love this portrayal of Medea, so of course I would have loved a scene of a laughing mad Medea cursing at the ridiculousness of finding love in this age, get it snatched away in such a brutal fashion and then for some punk to dare accuse her of being the culprit. What was shown instead... was deeply confusing. And the way she was put out was also without any grace. With that said, retroactively making Tohsaka the one to find the crime scene and then not show it was just another slap into the face. The scene of the VN would have worked just as well from Rin's perspective.

I also do feel that it lost a bit of the humor the VN showed at some parts. They did animate Saber utterly thrashing Rider, but solely focused on the shock of it and made it bloody and gory. In the VN I really liked Saber's "I am severely annoyed at how easy this is" face she wore during all of it, but here she was just robot-like. Also of course the scene with Kirei in the Chinese restaurant. In the VN he was utterly hilarious and kept interrupting his monologue with "Want some?" pointing to his Mapo Tofu and Shirou yelling exasperated "Hell no!" as a reply. That repeated at least thrice. The movie did point out how Kirei was fighting tears with how spicy that stuff is, but somehow missed the entire dynamic of that back and forth that made their banter later on so worthwhile.

Well... so much to my five cents about the movie. As usual, I keep ranting whenever I watch something of that bloody overhyped franchise... Sorry about that!

RE: Stein's Gate is the current one a continuation or a remake, or something else?

It's one of the things that puts me off some anime the feeling I'm maybe starting with the wrong show. Netflix has several Full metal alchemists, lots of shows with "Fate" "Fairy tale" and several of the mecha ones (have the same name but lots of subtitles).

On the last stretch of Naruto. Not sure how they made me feel sad for Tobi given all the shit he's caused but the show has a knack for making you empathise with the villains by the end.

RE: Stein's Gate is the current one a continuation or a remake, or something else? 

It's one of the things that puts me off some anime the feeling I'm maybe starting with the wrong show. Netflix has several Full metal alchemists, lots of shows with "Fate" "Fairy tale" and several of the mecha ones (have the same name but lots of subtitles).

The current one is kind of a sequel... it's different to say without spoiling to much... but you really have to have watched the original Steins;Gate and maybe the alternate divergence of episode 23 to understand what is going on.

Well... Fate has a lot of series, but given that it usually employs alternate timelines or entirely different universes, it can't be said that there is a consistent starting point. Take it from me: If you'd like to give it a try, watch the prequel Fate/Zero and nothing else. The rest really isn't worth the trouble.

(Curiously enough, the Heaven's Feel movie is an exception in the way that it expects you to have seen the Unlimited Bladeworks series beforehand. It skips every single scene they have in common, so Rin's prologue, Shirou's fights against Lancer, the summoning of Saber and Saber's clashes with Lancer and Archer are just fast-forwarded while Zouken holds a monologue. It's actually rather strange, given that this robs the relationship of Shirou and Saber quite a lot of depth, not to mention the myriad of ways the story gets hurt by denying Rin a POV)

• 5 weeks later...

I am currently midway watching "Higurashi When They Cry" and I'm quite enjoying it. Or maybe I like it more now than in the beginning  (first arch/s) because now the story starts making a little bit of sense as a whole, while still surprising the viewer (the episodes being quite compacted). Although, I point out that the ending of the first arch is quite intriguing as well. 

The gore and mad aspects of the anime might not appeal to everyone. In my case, I just got accustomed to the former (basically watching how certain crimes are committed), and I am curious to discover up to what extend might the craziness of the different characters involved in those crimes play a part in the different mysteries of the story; even if I'm very busy and I can't watch it very frequently these weeks.

The curse of the village is worth mentioning, but oh, the investigation of the crimes is the best part. Especially when Detective Oishi appears. I never have enough of him :P 

On 6/10/2018 at 3:31 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

I am currently midway watching "Hirugashi When They Cry" and I'm quite enjoying it. Or maybe I like it more now than in the beginning  (first arch/s) because now the story starts making a little bit of sense as a whole, while still surprising the viewer (the episodes being quite compacted). Although, I point out that the ending of the first arch is quite intriguing as well. 

The gore and mad aspects of the anime might not appeal to everyone. In my case, I just got accustomed to the former (basically watching how certain crimes are committed), and I am curious to discover up to what extend might the craziness of the different characters involved in those crimes play a part in the different mysteries of the story; even if I'm very busy and I can't watch it very frequently these weeks.

The curse of the village is worth mentioning, but oh, the investigation of the crimes is the best part. Especially when Detective Oishi appears. I never have enough of him :P 

That's a seriously creepy one but I really enjoyed it too . The animation style contrasts so weirdly with the gore bit it works . 

If you like creepy horror stuff you should check out monster . Everyone should check out monster ,this is just shameless advertising . It's criminal that the series isn't as popular as it is good . 

12 hours ago, Vin said:

That's a seriously creepy one but I really enjoyed it too . The animation style contrasts so weirdly with the gore bit it works . 

If you like creepy horror stuff you should check out monster . Everyone should check out monster ,this is just shameless advertising . It's criminal that the series isn't as popular as it is good . 

I think I don't like that, but I'm getting accustomed to it because I want to know what's behind all the mysteries and the show allows me to think a lot and invent my theories, something that I really like. Or, let's say that I don't care or I could even enjoy it sometimes as long there is not much gore and the story is intelligent.

I'm more into the detective genre. I looked at your title and it seems that it is defined as mystery as well, although right now my list of shows to watch (not only animes) is longer than the body of an anaconda :P and I'm very busy.

But thanks for the suggestion!! It's good to know more things.

• 2 months later...

Watched "In this Corner of the World" off of Netflix. 

Well that was sad as shit. 

Edit: To go into a little detail of this anime. It's about a woman living in Japan during WWII and her daily life throughout the war and the increasing hardships as it goes on.

Is this the right place to talk a bit about Groening's Disenchantment? Usually anime refers to Japanese shows, but I'm reluctant to open a new thread.

Anyway, it's one of these shows that's really hard to criticize ('tis why I'd like to exchange some ideas about it).

Technically speaking it's very high quality. Nice aesthetics and animation, good character-design (though way too close to Futurama in many ways... ), and a lot of that adult humor that made Futurama so great.
The theme is also good, as it proposes to deconstruct/subvert fairy tales. Of course, it's very close to the way Futurama deconstructed/subverted sci-fi. It's still a Groening show.
The plot... This is where I'm uncertain. As I watched it I found the stories lacked something, though I never quite could put my finger on it (pace too slow at first, mayhaps).
Also the comedy was ok but with a few exceptions, only made me chuckle or smile now and then. No actual lol for me.
It got considerably better toward the end of the season/half-season though. I found épisodes 8-10 great, if not amazing.

I still think there's a small something missing.
At least another main character would be nice. Three is a small group, which can screw the characterization a bit.
I know the characters are destined to grow, but I still think there's a small lack of consistency in the characterization of Bean at times (Is she self-confident or is she not? Can she fight or can she not? Does she have a lot of empathy or not?). Of course, she's supposed to be a teenager, so perhaps it's too be expected that she is a bit random, but something's a little off*.

I wasn't a huge fan of the stand-alone episodes and liked the ones centering on the main plot better. Hence why I was lukewarm for the first few episodes and loved the last three. 

Also, I was eager for Bean to leave goddamn Dreamland and was disappointed when she ended up staying. Fortunately we should get to see more of the world in the next half-season.

I loved the fact that there was a hidden mystery within the story. I was hoping for just that since this is what Futurama had done. And it didn't disappoint, though perhaps some plot twists were a bit too predictable.
*Perhaps the revelations in the last episode explain why Bean is a bit weird: she seems to be the princess of some kind of dark kingdom, presumably with a special destiny and special powers. She might even be only part human to begin with.

The Elfo-Bean relationship however is annoying for me. Too close to the Fry-Leela one. Generally speaking, I wish they'd go down a different road for Elfo.

And yet... now that I've seen the first ten episodes I find it hard to go back to anything else. The characters grew on me and I'm eager to see how the story and world-building develop now.

All in all, although the show is not without issues (yeah, I do think the main problem is the pace: some episodes are too slow and others too fast), I'd say it has the potential to be as great as Futurama was. If it can manage to develop a touch of its own that is, because fans of Futurama can easily be disappointed by the similarities.

Word of advice if you've read this far: one might want to consider waiting for the season to be complete, as this half-season leaves you with a lot of questions... The first ten episodes introduce the characters and have some serious exposition. I think the next ten will be much more intense and fast-paced. I understand that Groening wrote (and even made) all 20 episodes in one go, so it's not necessarily fantastic to jump right into it.

42 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Is this the right place to talk a bit about Groening's Disenchantment? Usually anime refers to Japanese shows, but I'm reluctant to open a new thread.

Anyway, it's one of these shows that's really hard to criticize ('tis why I'd like to exchange some ideas about it).

Technically speaking it's very high quality. Nice aesthetics and animation, good character-design (though way too close to Futurama in many ways... ), and a lot of that adult humor that made Futurama so great.
The theme is also good, as it proposes to deconstruct/subvert fairy tales. Of course, it's very close to the way Futurama deconstructed/subverted sci-fi. It's still a Groening show.
The plot... This is where I'm uncertain. As I watched it I found the stories lacked something, though I never quite could put my finger on it (pace too slow at first, mayhaps).
Also the comedy was ok but with a few exceptions, only made me chuckle or smile now and then. No actual lol for me.
It got considerably better toward the end of the season/half-season though. I found episodes 6-10 great, if not amazing.

I still think there's a small something missing.
At least another main character would be nice. Three is a small group, which can screw the characterization a bit.
I know the characters are destined to grow, but I still think there's a small lack of consistency in the characterization of Bean at times (Is she self-confident or is she not? Can she fight or can she not? Does she have a lot of empathy or not?). Of course, she's supposed to be a teenager, so perhaps it's too be expected that she is a bit random, but something's a little off*.

Reveal hidden contents

I wasn't a huge fan of the stand-alone episodes and liked the ones centering on the main plot better. Hence why I was lukewarm for the first few episodes and loved the last four. 

Also, I was eager for Bean to leave goddamn Dreamland and was disappointed when she ended up staying. Fortunately we should get to see more of the world in the next half-season.

I loved the fact that there was a hidden mystery within the story. I was hoping for just that since this is what Futurama had done. And it didn't disappoint, though perhaps some plot twists were a bit too predictable.
*Perhaps the revelations in the last episode explain why Bean is a bit weird: she seems to be the princess of some kind of dark kingdom, presumably with a special destiny and special powers. She might even be only part human to begin with.

The Elfo-Bean relationship however is annoying for me. Too close to the Fry-Leela one. Generally speaking, I wish they'd go down a different road for Elfo.

And yet... now that I've seen the first ten episodes I find it hard to go back to anything else. The characters grew on me and I'm eager to see how the story and world-building develop now.

All in all, although the show is not without issues (yeah, I do think the main problem is the pace: some episodes are too slow and others too fast), I'd say it has the potential to be as great as Futurama was. If it can manage to develop a touch of its own that is, because fans of Futurama can easily be disappointed by the similarities.

Word of advice if you've read this far: one might want to consider waiting for the season to be complete, as this half-season leaves you with a lot of questions... The first ten episodes introduce the characters and have some serious exposition. I think the next ten will be much more intense and fast-paced. I understand that Groening wrote (and even made) all 20 episodes in one go, so it's not necessarily fantastic to jump right into it.

Oh, a friend who is very into anime said to me that she wanted to watch the series.

So then...is it worth it?  I guess it is watchable? I saw advertisements about it in the metro and I was curious bc of the Medievalist aesthetics.

---------

Then, anime related....well, I'm about to finish Higurashi, finally! Hmm, so far I've liked the second season more, although sometimes the tone is too much "nicer" compared to the first.  Then again,  I think I enjoy both things, and the change was appreciated after  all those archs.  It's like that was needed, and I've even dropped a few tears sometimes.

But I appreciated  as well many other things so far, like the revelation of some mysteries....it felt so great. And I'm guilty to like the villain as well. In a way, of course. So far, the recommendation was really worth it. (Up to the point that I think I'll have withdrawal symptoms when it finishes :P).  Let's see how all it ends. My expectations are quite high, though....

And I've had more recommendations. Last month I was recommended of Hinamatsuri and I've recently been strongly recommended of Death Note. Has anyone watched these (without spoilers?, just if they are good or not).

Then apart from that, in theory I also want to re pick my Detective Conan fascination. In theory my favorite anime, but it's been a long since I don't watch it seriously. It was sooooooo good.

And of course, then again, my list of animes is even longer, and I even have more non-anime related series to watch, lots of actually. Lots of things, and lacking of time!...

41 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

sOh, a friend who is very into anime said to me that she wanted to watch the series.

So then...is it worth it?  I guess it is watchable? I saw advertisements about it in the metro and I was curious bc of the Medievalist aesthetics.

I'd say it's worth it. A solid 7/10 for me, with the potential to get even better.
Thing is, it's not groundbreaking and is way too similar to Futurama in many ways. It might even be better to have not seen Futurama to really enjoy Disenchantment.

Also, episodes are unequal. This is really quite important. I was surprised by how harsh the reviews of the show were. Turns out, critics were only sent the first seven episodes when the last three are the best by far.
As I said in my spoiler bit above (because I can't use the tag properly) I even wonder if it's not best to wait for the first 20 episodes to be out before getting aboard though, precisely because those last three episodes change everything and... Let's say... Open new possibilities that leave the viewer very eager to see the rest of the season!

Edit: Reading what the critics said, I may have found the other thing that's missing from the show: criticism of consumerism, society and social trends (like technology-related stuff) as can be found in Futurama or The Simpsons. Generally speaking, there's no deeper layer to be found in Disenchantment, so it's got a lighter vibe to it than many shows out there (like Rick and Morty or Bojack Horseman, which regularly offer serious stuff to think about). Feels more like mere entertainment. 'tis also why I find it hard to recommend, despite its qualities. I like shows to have some kind of message to share ; this show doesn't say anything.

This is what a critic added to his review after seeing the last épisodes:
https://www.tvguide.com/news/disenchantment-season-1-review-netflix/

Update: OK, once Disenchantment was released in full I went ahead and watched the final three episodes that weren't given to us for review and WHAT DO YOU KNOW, it pretty much fixed many of the issues I had with the first seven episodes. Everything gets better from there; it's more focused, it's funnier, the characters are richer, their relationships are stronger

With spoilers:

It turns out the season ends on a really great three-episode arc that opens up the show to a serialized future, which is all I really wanted. Everything else gets better from there; it's more focused, it's funnier, the characters are richer, their relationships are stronger, real villains arrive, and the future of the entire kingdom is at stake. It feels like a totally different series, with tons of surprises revealed and a "Winds of Winter"-style ending. There's even a major death (which won't stick) that brings emotion into the whole thing, and the show immediately comes to life (as does something else!).

On 8/25/2018 at 3:16 AM, Rippounet said:

I'd say it's worth it. A solid 7/10 for me, with the potential to get even better.
Thing is, it's not groundbreaking and is way too similar to Futurama in many ways. It might even be better to have not seen Futurama to really enjoy Disenchantment.

Also, episodes are unequal. This is really quite important. I was surprised by how harsh the reviews of the show were. Turns out, critics were only sent the first seven episodes when the last three are the best by far.
As I said in my spoiler bit above (because I can't use the tag properly) I even wonder if it's not best to wait for the first 20 episodes to be out before getting aboard though, precisely because those last three episodes change everything and... Let's say... Open new possibilities that leave the viewer very eager to see the rest of the season!

Edit: Reading what the critics said, I may have found the other thing that's missing from the show: criticism of consumerism, society and social trends (like technology-related stuff) as can be found in Futurama or The Simpsons. Generally speaking, there's no deeper layer to be found in Disenchantment, so it's got a lighter vibe to it than many shows out there (like Rick and Morty or Bojack Horseman, which regularly offer serious stuff to think about). Feels more like mere entertainment. 'tis also why I find it hard to recommend, despite its qualities. I like shows to have some kind of message to share ; this show doesn't say anything.

This is what a critic added to his review after seeing the last épisodes:
https://www.tvguide.com/news/disenchantment-season-1-review-netflix/

With spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

It turns out the season ends on a really great three-episode arc that opens up the show to a serialized future, which is all I really wanted. Everything else gets better from there; it's more focused, it's funnier, the characters are richer, their relationships are stronger, real villains arrive, and the future of the entire kingdom is at stake. It feels like a totally different series, with tons of surprises revealed and a "Winds of Winter"-style ending. There's even a major death (which won't stick) that brings emotion into the whole thing, and the show immediately comes to life (as does something else!).

Oh thanks for the opinion!

Yeah, my friend says it's entertaining.

Mmh, well I guess that the no deeper meaning could be something I'd miss,  the criticism of society. That's something I appreciate on the Simpsons. Never watched Futurama, or well, I might have watched some episodes, but I don't remember even if I liked them or not. I just didn't follow the series. I just remember that the girl was cool in the few episodes I watched. Nothing else about the plot.

I didn't realise this was was disenchantment was being discussed do will copy some thoughts from another thread

I'm not sure what Netflix were thinking splitting "disenchantment" into two parts and so ending it just as it was finding its groove. The last three episodes were pretty good (8 being the strongest) and settling into arc storytelling.

Laughing horse and "I never should have let him out stars on his dunce hat" were favourites.

I think if those 3 episodes were indicative of the second half of the show and viewers had now seen them the reaction to the show would be a lot more positive. 

As it currently stands the improv/animation hybrid "harmonquest" does a much better job of a fantasy comedy than disenchantment does

Well, Steins;Gate 0 continued a bit more over the course of the last few weeks. And... I'm not exactly sure I like the direction it is taking.

Spoiler

They try to return back to their roots now. Literally. When I think about the fact that Okabe is currently jumping back in time again and again to save Mayuri, I'm thinking that they are really just copying the story of the original Steins;Gate series as it is. Essentially only the shorter time-frame and Kirisu being dead already are the only things that changed.

Well, that and the copious amount of unrequited crushes on Okabe. I had a conversation with Rippounet here before where I defended the original Steins;Gate that it was not a typical harem story because OkabexKirisu was the core of it. Even in the VN as far as I had managed to read it there are little signs that the the other characters are possible love interests, especially with Mayuri being his closest platonic friend.

Eh... so much for that. I could live with the copious amounts of OkabexMaho shipping, which could have been used as a way to get over Kirisu's death. But now that Mayuri has confessed that she loves him and this is the part that gets all the attention... I feel really bad about their friendship now taking a romantic turn. This is really not the image of their relationship that I had after Steins;Gate and it pisses me off...

Oh, I just finished Higurashi. 

I loved the ending. There were some moments when one thinks anything could happen, so I was still very thrilled.

I have some issues with

Spoiler

the villain. To be precise

Spoiler

if the villain was mad, when did all start, etc.

although

Spoiler

I loved that there was more to come in terms of the other villains, and also that the main villain had a background and was kind of a complex human being.

I really liked the that the show had so many mysteries, since it's a genre I love (not only in anime) and also the messages about

Spoiler

hope against fate and restless perseverance

Season 2,

Spoiler

especially the last episodes, have some sort of more cheesy tone, although only sometimes (it can also be dark).

I can help but recommend the series, it's been really interesting. 

Archived