Anime

The Grey Wolf

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Went looking for "a silent voice" which was mentioned upthread. Guess it's not on Netflix or Hulu in the U.S. 

Suppose I'll watch Castlevania S2 instead. 

It is on Netflix UK. It might have a different name in other territories eg within the film it calls itself the shape of a voice. 

Maybe Amazon has it in the US? In general Amazon seems to be better for anime movies than Netflix in the UK at least

27 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Silent Voice was pretty good yeah, not the best of the anime movies of last few years but in the top 10 that I've seen.

Feel free to recommend some of the others you like. Always on the look out for anime movies to watch particularly now that they are popping on streaming platforms 

On 10/30/2018 at 9:10 AM, red snow said:

Feel free to recommend some of the others you like. Always on the look out for anime movies to watch particularly now that they are popping on streaming platforms 

Not directed at me but I'm going to answer anyways.

In This Corner of the World. 

It's about a young Japanese woman and her life during WWII.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Not directed at me but I'm going to answer anyways.

In This Corner of the World. 

It's about a young Japanese woman and her life during WWII.

Suggestions welcome from any corner. Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

NP. But just a heads up.

If you do decide to watch it, there is a chance you may tear up.

That shit can get you in the feels.

Always useful to have a tear warning too.

I've just watched the last movie of Detective Conan. Detective Conan: Zero The Enforcer. Wow, not surprisingly, I loved it.

The first part of the story is like a thriller, everything and everyone surrounding Kogoro's arrest because he is the prime suspect of a terrorist attack. He doesn't have the motive, but all evidence points towards him. And we'll see several police departments involved, as well as lawyers and the Public Prosecutor's office. 

But there is some action in the third part, typical from Conan movies, and that includes several of the best scenes I've ever seen. Amazing. Of course, because everyone is on shape for certain scenes...but wow. 

Overall, probably not the best Conan movie that I've ever seen but quite compelling and I I was overawed and thrilled up to the point of keeping me on the edge of my seat during the ending.

The visuals were astonishingly beautiful. The level of detail of the drone's close shots, the cinematography....

Part of it because it was the first time I could watch a Conan movie on the silver screen, of course. Almost crying of joy....

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got on a Naruto roll. I've decided to just skip all filler episodes for now and then maybe go back and watch some after finishing the canon series. Currently on season 3 of Shippuden. 

Though watching on Hulu does get annoying, what with near 5 minutes of ad time for a 20 minute episode.

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Finally got on a Naruto roll. I've decided to just skip all filler episodes for now and then maybe go back and watch some after finishing the canon series. Currently on season 3 of Shippuden. 

Though watching on Hulu does get annoying, what with near 5 minutes of ad time for a 20 minute episode.

I only really bothered with filler in the last 50 episodes and most of them aren't filler but more post finale bookends that have proven fun.

The 100+ filler episodes I've missed have not resulted in any confusion

Netflix are making a live-action Cowboy Bebop series, which will almost certainly be a hot mess, and they've also acquired the worldwide streaming rights to Evangelion, which they are going to drop in the spring, so another generation of people can be confused.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

Netflix are making a live-action Cowboy Bebop series, which will almost certainly be a hot mess, and they've also acquired the worldwide streaming rights to Evangelion, which they are going to drop in the spring, so another generation of people can be confused.

People have been clamoring for more firefly for a while so this might do?

I think they have the creator if the original anime on board so maybe it has a chance? I'm curious aa to whether this is being made in Japan or is an American show.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

People have been clamoring for more firefly for a while so this might do?

I think they have the creator if the original anime on board so maybe it has a chance? I'm curious aa to whether this is being made in Japan or is an American show.

I think it's more concerning that Netflix have done several of these anime-to-live-action shows and they're pretty much all sucked. However, some might argue because adapting anime or manga into live action is inherently silly: there are tropes and visual tics of the genre which don't work in live action and just adapting them straight over makes for a messy story.

Cowboy Bebop does have the strength going for it that it's a very un-anime-like anime, and you could actually adapt it straight with relatively little problem. The break point will probably be the music, which Netflix have kept completely silent on so far.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

I think it's more concerning that Netflix have done several of these anime-to-live-action shows and they're pretty much all sucked. However, some might argue because adapting anime or manga into live action is inherently silly: there are tropes and visual tics of the genre which don't work in live action and just adapting them straight over makes for a messy story.

Oh, I didn't know, Which ones?

Just now, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh, I didn't know, Which ones?

Death Note is the one that comes to mind immediately. I actually thought they'd done more, but that's the only one that came out (Bleach was released by Netflix but not made by them, but reportedly it's an okay film). Sword Art Online is the next one up, apparently, followed by Cowboy Bebop (whilst Altered Carbon and Pacific Rim are going in the other direction, being adapted into anime from live-action).

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Death Note is the one that comes to mind immediately. I actually thought they'd done more, but that's the only one that came out (Bleach was released by Netflix but not made by them, but reportedly it's an okay film). Sword Art Online is the next one up, apparently, followed by Cowboy Bebop (whilst Altered Carbon and Pacific Rim are going in the other direction, being adapted into anime from live-action).

Okay, from these ones the only one I know is Death Note (which reminds me that I should be finishing watching it because I still have to see the third arch.....).

I didn't know, interesting....maybe I'll look at it.

And Pacific Rim into an anime? It's like a bad version of Evangelion/Mazinger Z.

Archived