Anime

The Grey Wolf

On 3/22/2019 at 12:18 AM, The Grey Wolf said:

@Fez

I don't know if you'll like them but for what its worth I also recommend The Ancient Magus Bride and Violet Evergarden.

Oh, and One-Punch Man!

Thanks. I'll add them to my list.

I finished Black Lagoon; it was good, though I'm not sure it lived up to the promise of those first 6 or 7 episodes. I loved those, and thought most of the rest was only okay to pretty good. Also, it was a little frustrating that the series ended without proper resolution, but I suppose the thought that the crew just kept on doing what they're doing and having other adventures is alright too.

I also watched the first episode of PsychoPass; I'm really not sure about that one. I like the setup, but, considering the world the series is describing, the rookie cop seems absurdly naive about how her world works. Also, she seems to lack a lot of basic knowledge just for the sake of there being an audience surrogate. I'd rather be in the dark as the viewer and have to slowly figure out how things work, rather than having a character be unrealistically ignorant so that things can be explained. I'll give it another episode though.

And I watched an episode of High School of the Dead. I am a sucker for zombies, but I suspect the only reason it was listed in a reddit thread as a suggested follow-up to Kill La Kill is because of the overwhelming amounts of fan service. The rest of the show doesn't seem all that good.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Thanks. I'll add them to my list.

I finished Black Lagoon; it was good, though I'm not sure it lived up to the promise of those first 6 or 7 episodes. I loved those, and thought most of the rest was only okay to pretty good. Also, it was a little frustrating that the series ended without proper resolution, but I suppose the thought that the crew just kept on doing what they're doing and having other adventures is alright too.

I also watched the first episode of PsychoPass; I'm really not sure about that one. I like the setup, but, considering the world the series is describing, the rookie cop seems absurdly naive about how her world works. Also, she seems to lack a lot of basic knowledge just for the sake of there being an audience surrogate. I'd rather be in the dark as the viewer and have to slowly figure out how things work, rather than having a character be unrealistically ignorant so that things can be explained. I'll give it another episode though.

And I watched an episode of High School of the Dead. I am a sucker for zombies, but I suspect the only reason it was listed in a reddit thread as a suggested follow-up to Kill La Kill is because of the overwhelming amounts of fan service. The rest of the show doesn't seem all that good.

Don't worry about Akane, she does some real growing up in that series. By the final episode of season 1 she's beyond awesome. I nearly forgot how naive she starts out as to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

It certainly gets better. Akane is a bit odd in the first episode, but she gets better. Quite a lot better. And with that I don't just mean hand to hand combat. XD

No, no, her biggest strengths certainly come with her strong compassion and unwavering idealism. There is a lot of hate for her out there, but I must admit, I had grown to like her pretty fast.

It should also be noted that the blind trust into the system makes everyone in this society quite a bit naive by design and it's more like working so much with this system has jaded her colleagues so much.

2 hours ago, Toth said:

It certainly gets better. Akane is a bit odd in the first episode, but she gets better. Quite a lot better. And with that I don't just mean hand to hand combat. XD

No, no, her biggest strengths certainly come with her strong compassion and unwavering idealism. There is a lot of hate for her out there, but I must admit, I had grown to like her pretty fast.

It should also be noted that the blind trust into the system makes everyone in this society quite a bit naive by design and it's more like working so much with this system has jaded her colleagues so much.

I had no idea anyone hated Akane? If anything I've always found people hated Mika in season 2 and on wards and that I can understand. Mika is pretty much Akane in the hands of stupid writers who don't know how to write a strong and compelling female main character. The fact that Mika is allowed to get away with some of the crap she pulls in season 2, this still bothers me a lot.

36 minutes ago, sifth said:

I had no idea anyone hated Akane? If anything I've always found people hated Mika in season 2 and on wards and that I can understand. Mika is pretty much Akane in the hands of stupid writers who don't know how to write a strong and compelling female main character. The fact that Mika is allowed to get away with some of the crap she pulls in season 2, this bothers me a lot.

That's par of course. But I also saw quite a lot of bile hurled towards Akane. Especially when (massive spoilers, don't click, Fez)...

Spoiler

... her friend got murdered by the big bad. I had an argument back then with someone ranting about how useless she is and how she let her die there, willfully ignoring that she tried to shoot him twice and only missed because of her inexperience with projectile guns, the terrible angle that almost made it impossible for her to not accidentally hit her instead and the system she trusted in all her life constantly blaring into her ears how this guy posed no threat. Maybe the scene wasn't edited quite as terrific as it could have been, but it was still obvious what they actually were going for. Especially since this was the moment where she realized that the system is broken beyond repair.

@Fez: Speaking of Mika, this also reminds me to warn you if no one else already did: Just watch the first season and the movie. Don't bother with the second season. It's just filler in the hands of different writers who have no idea what they were doing whatsoever and you don't miss out on anything at all. It might succeed in highlighting post-character-development Akane, but it's pointless to wallow through a nonsensical villain, idiotic plot that utterly disregards the atmosphere of the first season and of course Mika. Oh dear god, Mika...

The movie certainly does the first season justice (not saying both are perfect, I have my gripes, but don't worry about that). The only thing... Please ignore the absolutely atrocious Engrish in the movie. God bless the guy or girl doing the subtitles...

I hope the new movies and third season will be better. I haven't looked up yet whether Gen Urobuchi has gotten back to steer the ship.

@Toth

That's such a strange moment to hate from season 1. I always viewed it as the moment the series revealed it had some real balls.

It allowed Akane to have a low point, which naturally allowed her to grow into a stronger and more confident character. Plus how often do you see a young woman in anime die such a painful death; usually moments like that are when a hero steps in to save her. Plus it made bring Makishima down personal, which is always a more interesting way to tell your story, IMO.

I mean I can sort of view why people might not like it, but I think most would have to not understand that Akane has never killed anyone before and has zero experience using a sniper riffle..........let alone any gun that isn't a dominator.

Also I bet those same people complaining about stupid crap like that, suddenly wanted more Akane in season 2 once Mika showed up, ha ha ha

5 minutes ago, sifth said:

@Toth

That's such a strange moment to hate from season 1. I always viewed it at the moment the series revealed it had some real balls.

Hide contents

It allowed Akane to have a low point, which naturally allowed her to grow into a stronger and more confident character. Plus how often do you see a young woman in anime die such a painful death; usually moments like that are when a hero steps in to save her. Plus it made bring Makishima down personal, which is always a more interesting way to tell your story, IMO.

I mean I can sort of view why people might not like it, but I think most would have to not understand that Akane has never killed anyone before and has zero experience using a sniper riffle..........let alone any good that isn't a dominator.

Also I bet those same people complaining about stupid crap like that, suddenly wanted more Akane in season 2 once Mika showed up, ha ha ha

Um, actually...

Spoiler

... she had a hunting rifle with two shots. The one she nicked off the previous villain, the robotic human hunter dude.

Sorry for sounding like a smart-ass, I just had to correct that because the picture looked strange in my mind.^^

2 minutes ago, Toth said:

Um, actually...

Hide contents

... she had a hunting rifle with two shots. The one she nicked off the previous villain, the robotic human hunter dude.

Sorry for sounding like a smart-ass, I just had to correct that.^^

It's cool man, I've not seen the show in a long while, so I sort of forgot.

If anything that makes it even less likely she was able to hit him, lol

1 hour ago, sifth said:

It's cool man, I've not seen the show in a long while, so I sort of forgot.

Hey, on the other hand, you still remember the villain's name! XD I watched it 2 years ago and totally forgot.

@Toth

@sifth

What do y'all think of Death Note and FMAB?

Oh, and here is another Fate roster:

Saber: El Cid 

Rider: Chevalier de Bayard (This was tough because I really wanted to include Carolus Rex but what's done is done...)

Lancer: Hector of Troy (Since Scathach took his place in my prior list.)

Archer: Rama (Thought of using Arjuna bit I'm a Karna fan so...)

Caster: Morgan le Fay

Assassin: Odyssesus 

Berserker: Boudicca naturally 

Honestly, if I could make my own Fate storyline I would go with depicting the Second and/or Third Holy Grail War (since the First wasn't really much of a conflict).

@Lord Veroq Nassau

I really liked Death Note..................until I didn't. I think at this point everyone knows what happens at the 2/3's mark.

After L's death the series sort of falls apart. All of the post L story is pretty trash, IMO. I liked the final confrontation though and the ending, so at least there's that. 

FMA:Brotherhood is alright, but I'm not gona lie, I prefer the magna over the anime. Some of my favorite moments are completely skipped over or shorted a great deal in the anime.

For example the Ishval flashback was 4 amazing chapters in the manga and the anime cuts it down to only one episode. It was so sad to see such an amazing war story edited to hell.

Steins Gate is probably one of my favorite series. I love the movie as well, but..................the less said about Steins Gate 0, the better.

I'm also a pretty big fan of Yamato 2199/2022, but I sort of grew up with Star Blazers so I'm biased on that front.

11 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Saber: El Cid 

Rider: Chevalier de Bayard (This was tough because I really wanted to include Carolus Rex but what's done is done...)

Lancer: Hector of Troy (Since Scathach took his place in my prior list.)

Archer: Rama (Thought of using Arjuna bit I'm a Karna fan so...)

Caster: Morgan le Fay

Assassin: Odyssesus 

Berserker: Boudicca naturally 

Nice line-up. I especially like El Cid there. Rama is a Saber in FGO and I think they have stated that he is even stronger as an Archer.

Morgan le Fay, huh? Because of her Apocrypha cameo? Certainly could be good.

I'm only a bit iffy about Odysseus being an Assassin. Wouldn't he be far superior as Archer, equipped with the Bow of Eurytos?

@Toth

He would be. I just found the idea of him being summoned as an assassin funny because of his cunning and use of disguises. Plus, I wanted to include an Indian character for the sake of diversity. And the bow could still be his Noble Phantasm.

Tch. Diversity. Who needs that? I must admit, I am a  tiny bit iffed that they focused so very much on Japanese Servants recently (and just as they started to dare a more gritty art style, they doubled down on the fanservice on each and every single female character to a degree that has become just incredibly vexing). I'm in a strange pinch there. I would like to see more African (so far there are only two Egyptians) or Native American Servants (so far only poor Geronimo), but on the other hand dread how they would design them and rather would like to see the franchise crash and burn.

Okay, maybe I can dare to mention those of my team that I had revealed so far:

Saber: Richard Lionheart (not the palette-swapped Arthur expy of the Fate-franchise in its narcissistic love with self-references, but actually more of a chivalrous thug who has severe trouble not alienating allies)

Archer: Ramesses II. (the already existing Rider one is already pretty good, but I thought it would be neat to indulge into his actual historic character as a blundering tactician who makes it up by being an excellent peace-maker and utter PR-mastermind)

Assassin: Roza Shanina (an amazing Soviet WW2 sniper whose tragic story and bright personality has survived thanks to her diary. I started out wanting a bouncy 'friendly sniper' archetype, but it had become something much more personal for me)

Lancer: Penthesilea (please don't remind me of that naked Berserker in FGO... Penthesilea doesn't deserve that! Also screw Achilles, she doesn't give a shit about this dude she never knew! I like her far better if she is haunted by having accidentally killed her sister, sets out on a suicidal quest to die in a meaningless battle for Troy, only to start to care about its king and people when they received her with so much kindness and dignity at their darkest hour)

Rider: Attila the Hun (and not at all the stupid genderbent bikini alien whatever thing from FGO. Burn that one with fire! Mine is basically a gruff, menacing warlord who adheres to his own a bit twisted sense of honor and hospitality)

Caster: Hasn't been officially revealed so far, but I made her Noble Phantasm so obvious that all readers have already correctly guessed it in the comments.

Spoiler

Circe (and not the weird elf girl thing from FGO, but instead more of a green palette swap of Medea, highlighting their relationship. I like her dark and broody)

Beserker hasn't been revealed yet and since that is a big one, I'd rather not do that here.

18 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

What do y'all think of Death Note and FMAB?

Oh, and I hadn't noticed that you included me in that question.

I can't say anything because I haven't watched either.

Alright, I watched two more episodes of PsychoPass and I think I'll stick with it. The rookie cop noticeably improved to a more realistic level of naive between the first and second episodes; I wonder if the writers got some studio notes the way US television does (although, I assume this was a manga first, the way most anime is).

I also started watching Cowboy Bebop, which I have not seen before, that really is quite a show. I kinda wish the episode plots were a little more fleshed out, with a little less time spent on establishing shots, but I can't deny the style. I'll watch the rest of this too.

And I gave Hellsing three episodes and have dropped it. It wasn't bad exactly, but Seras' English VA was so limp that I just couldn't watch any more; especially with the rest of the show not deeply pulling me in.

The rest of my Hulu list for now is: Fate/Zero, Drifters, Code Geass, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (I saw this one as a teen and liked it then, I'm hoping I still will), Overlord, Slayers, Jormangand, DARLING in the FRANXX, Assassination Classroom, and I'm going to give Attack on Titan another shot. So I'm probably set for a while. I suspect I won't like all these shows, and some I know I have a kid-focus that I probably won't like, but I'll give them a shot at least. 

Violet Evergarden is only on Netflix, not Hulu. I added it to my watch list over there, but with Hulu seemingly being my go-to for this, it may get forgotten for a while.

@Toth

I do wish the premise was used with more tact. As for diversity, what I meant was more non-Europeans. 

Having said that, what's the name of your fanfic and where does it take place setting/timeline-wise?

And I thought people born after the 1800s couldn't be Servants (hence why we can't have Simo Hayha as Assassin for example)?

@Fez

Sorry for not being clear about the Netflix-exclusivity thing.

58 minutes ago, Fez said:

Fate/Zero, Drifters, Code Geass, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (I saw this one as a teen and liked it then, I'm hoping I still will), Overlord, Slayers, Jormangand, DARLING in the FRANXX, Assassination Classroom, and I'm going to give Attack on Titan another shot.

Oh my god, you are going to watch Slayers? That was my childhood! I must admit, it sticks out a bit among the bunch, but I still can't recommend it enough! It's especially good now that I know that the writers were basically just adapting their constantly derailing Dungeons & Dragons game and that's what makes it so absurdly hilarious. And explains the characters' quirks (Lina being the ludicrous min-maxer, Gourry the tank that just wants to shut down his brain and roll some dice, Amelia being the DM's little sister who wants to play Sailor Moon, Zelgadis being the distraught role-player with the moody backstory who is constantly annoyed by his group's antics and Xellos being the DM's own ridiculously overpowered character that occasionally shoves the characters back on track of the story).

The only thing that I just have to ask is: What dub? I only ever watched it with the German dub as a kid and when I saw the Japanese original years later, I found Lina's screeching high-pitched voice there totally off-putting. Her German voice actress was just so much better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRze9A9gKp4

(also lol: it's easier to find entire episodes than just clips in German on Youtube XD)

33 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

I do wish the premise was used with more tact. As for diversity, what I meant was more non-Europeans. 

That's what I meant as well.^^ But I also applied it on FGO, where Asian characters are obviously in the majority.

33 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Having said that, what's the name of your fanfic and where does it take place setting/timeline-wise?

The premise is fairly simple. Two years after the Fuyuki Grail War the Einzbern's in their never-ending struggle to reach the "fifth magic" kickstart an old Greater Grail prototype that was built beneath their castle in Germany, but was abandoned 200 years ago because they couldn't dare hold the ritual in Europe in the middle of a conflict between Magi and Church. And because they now have copied the knowledge of the Makiri to make command spells and Jubstacheit is too tired to play by the rules, he makes it give out random command spells to everyone within the city of Einzbern who has even the hint of a magic circuit to attach it to. The result is a mess in which a bunch of absolute novices with no magic training whatsoever get dragged into a conflict against each other and of course the looming threat of the overwhelming Einzbern's.

Here it is: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11224809/1/Fate-The-Einzbern-Grail-War

Unfortunately, my current work situation reduced me to a snail's pace. It is not abandoned, by all means (and actually managed to write some during the last Summer break), but right now it is on ice for some time. At least until I manage to get my shit together and have my free time back without constantly wrecking myself about things I still have to do.

@Toth

I understand. I've been working on three original literary settings as well as my third rewrite of the Dance of the Dragons but with the MCAT in less than three weeks everything fun in my life has, for the most part, been pushed to the side temporarily.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

The rest of my Hulu list for now is: Fate/Zero, Drifters, Code Geass, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (I saw this one as a teen and liked it then, I'm hoping I still will), Overlord, Slayers, Jormangand, DARLING in the FRANXX, Assassination Classroom, and I'm going to give Attack on Titan another shot. So I'm probably set for a while. I suspect I won't like all these shows, and some I know I have a kid-focus that I probably won't like, but I'll give them a shot at least. 

Violet Evergarden is only on Netflix, not Hulu. I added it to my watch list over there, but with Hulu seemingly being my go-to for this, it may get forgotten for a while.

Darling in the Franxx was my biggest anime disappointment of last year. To say that show made me angry would be an understatement.

I don't think I've ever watched a show that hated gay people so much, they literally made a cure for it before.

That's just me though, maybe you'll get something out of it that I never did.

I just watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the follow-up movie, and I must say I am underwhelmed. 
Sure, maybe the hype around is too high, but I went into it fully prepared to like it. 
Could someone tell me why is it revered by so many, or you could tell me your personal experience with this anime.
I am not hating on it, for me it was just ok/underwhelming. It felt similar to Ergo Proxy.

Archived