Doctor Who spin off: Class.

Jon's Queen Consort

This thread is dedicated to the new Doctor who spin off written by Patrick Ness and produced by Stephen Moffat among others.

It revolves around the adventures of six students from the Coal Hill Academy and their physicist teacher with the Doctor as a guest.

The first official trailer;

*praying* please be better than the Sarah Jane adventures and maybe even Torchwood.

Weird that the cast is so much older than the kids we saw there before. I was thinking they would use that one girl again, guess not. I dont know if its just the trailer, but this looks darker and more serious than Doctor Who.

3 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

Weird that the cast is so much older than the kids we saw there before. I was thinking they would use that one girl again, guess not. I dont know if its just the trailer, but this looks darker and more serious than Doctor Who.

Yeah, I was wondering why it was being marketed as a DW spinoff at all until the Doctor himself showed up. It's not even the same school.

3 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I was sure that it abour the same school, the one they have used since 1963.

It's Coal Hill Academy instead of Coal Hill School. And the building is totally different to the one the featured in Capaldi's first season.

1 hour ago, felice said:

It's Coal Hill Academy instead of Coal Hill School. And the building is totally different to the one the featured in Capaldi's first season.

You are right. I just noticed it. Could academy means that is something like a college?

1 hour ago, felice said:

Capaldi references being a janitor there at one point though. 

Academy in a school context at the moment is just a title given to certain schools. It's not even impossible that Coal Hill changed themselves. The building is different, but when has doc who given a shit about continuity?

The titles for the first four episodes are;

1. For tonight we might die.
2. The coach with the dragon tattoo.
3. Nightvisiting.
4. Co-Owner of a lonely heart.

All are written by Patrick Ness, the three first are directed by Ed Bazalgette and the fourth by Philippa Langdale.

• 2 weeks later...

English Buffy is shaping up nicely.  I wasn't sure I'd want to continue with this after the first couple of episodes, but the first season of Buffy was iffy too with its monster of the week.  But this latest episode of Class gives me hope.

Plus

Spoiler

King Shadowkin just wants to cuddle.

• 10 months later...

Hmmm. The only DW spinoff I've watched was Torchwood and I really just couldn't get into it. Part of the reason was the narrative and how it made every episode (that I saw) a basic template to simply fill in Mad Libs style with a new villain but the same tension and resolution. And I know that's often just TV, but it felt like it wasn't even trying to surprise or challenge the viewer. 

The other reason, I think, is for all the reasons I love DW (and there are many) the glue that holds it together is pretty simply, the Doctor! A show set in that universe without the Doctor as the focal point is going to be a shell IMO. 

Aaand I was just about to wrap up by saying "that being said, I'll give this new show a shot." when I saw it was already cancelled. Womp womp. 

Archived