JK Rowling announces Five 'Fantastic Beasts' films

AlpenglowMemories

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-five-movies-1201888226/

I think the film looks good and very beautiful based on the footage we've seen in previews, but five? I get, as well, that there's obviously more going on than just finding the beasts, but...five? This sounds like it could be a real recipe for bloat and unnecessary diversions from the plot (issues that arose in the later Potter books, in my opinion). I really don't know what to make of this news. I mean, five films? Can there really be that much story?

Well, it is not like good people at WB don't know anything about overbloating things... Obviously JKR and her team want to give Peter Jackson run for his money... That said, it can turn out to be amazing. We'll see :D 

Just purchased my ticket to the first movie next month so I am looking forward to it.  As for a total of 5 movies...well I'll wait and see how the first one goes but JKR says she has an arc in mind so it sounds like they have been outlined and plotted.  Since I've seen comments that indicate Dumbledore and Grindewald have cameos in this first one I wonder if the 5 movies will play out over Grindewald's rise to power.

4 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Gonna keep milking that cow I guess... How many yachts does Rowling need?? Doesn't she have enough money... 

There are problems I have with her inability to let the franchise die but as I recall she does give a fair amount of money to charity so not sure this is all about a cash grab

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Just purchased my ticket to the first movie next month so I am looking forward to it.  As for a total of 5 movies...well I'll wait and see how the first one goes but JKR says she has an arc in mind so it sounds like they have been outlined and plotted.  Since I've seen comments that indicate Dumbledore and Grindewald have cameos in this first one I wonder if the 5 movies will play out over Grindewald's rise to power.

Not sure if you have watched any trailers or not so I will spoiler tag

There is mention of Grindewald in one of the trailers, so that was my immediate thought when I heard there would be 5 films; that it would explore his rise to power

8 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

It's Harry Potter, it'll sell tickets. 

It isn't Harry Potter though. It's a series of stand-alone (ish) films set in the same universe.

I expect it to do okay, but I'd be surprised if it did as well as any of the main films. Quite a few of my friends, some of them big Harry Potter fans, had no idea this movie existed and a couple had even seen trailers and not clocked it's a prequel. The marketing for this and Rogue One has been curiously low-key.

There's a market for it the first three would have to be awful for people to not turn up for the fourth and fifth one. I mean the hobbit sequels only lost 44 million then 2 million from part 1 to part 3 (not bad when the first one made over a billion). And I imagine the Potter fans are just as (if not more passionate) about the series/world.

Franchises/shared universes are all the rage so why not have Potter stuff to rival Star wars.Marvel etc?

If the films appear to flag then Rowling could always release a book of it first further down the line.

9 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Gonna keep milking that cow I guess... How many yachts does Rowling need?? Doesn't she have enough money... 

Naaah.

Maybe I'm naive (but on this particular one, I dont think I am), but it has nothing to do with Jo's personal wealth. It's more like she cant let go of her universe. Not that I blame her at all (I will never blame her for anything, actually, and I am one of those people forever grateful for what she offered to the world), in the end, when you create something so massive, something you know nothing else you could create will ever top it, it can be really hard to let go.

So, I for one, am curious to see what she has in mind.

23 minutes ago, Arkash said:

Naaah.

Maybe I'm naive (but on this particular one, I dont think I am), but it has nothing to do with Jo's personal wealth. It's more like she cant let go of her universe. Not that I blame her at all (I will never blame her for anything, actually, and I am one of those people forever grateful for what she offered to the world), in the end, when you create something so massive, something you know nothing else you could create will ever top it, it can be really hard to let go.

So, I for one, am curious to see what she has in mind.

I also agree that it's less about wealth and more of her being unable to let go of the world she has made. I only hope this doesn't get so out of hand that "Quidditch through the ages" becomes a film :lol: 

9 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

They better have something good in mind if they want five sequels. And I agree, Dumbledore vs. Grindelwald would definitely qualify for that, even though they couldn't possibly stray further from the source material.

Which source material do you mean? The stuff in Deathly Hallows? All told there isn't a lot of source material on Grindewald, so it's not really to difficult for them to stay vaguely on track and reach the end point. It's just coming at it from a different starting position (I.e. The US rather than Dumbledore, Godric's Hollow and the Deathly Hallows). 

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Which source material do you mean? The stuff in Deathly Hallows? All told there isn't a lot of source material on Grindewald, so it's not really to difficult for them to stay vaguely on track and reach the end point. It's just coming at it from a different starting position (I.e. The US rather than Dumbledore, Godric's Hollow and the Deathly Hallows). 

No, the book 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' that the movie is based on. The premise of Newt finding his animals was close to it, but if we're moving into Dumbledore/Grindelwald territory they might as well give this spin-off series a different name (which I think wouldn't be a bad idea to begin with).
Not that I'm complaining though, I'd love to see Grindelwald.

1 minute ago, First of My Name said:

No, the book 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' that the movie is based on. The premise of Newt finding his animals was close to it, but if we're moving into Dumbledore/Grindelwald territory they might as well give this spin-off series a different name (which I think wouldn't be a bad idea to begin with).
Not that I'm complaining though, I'd love to see Grindelwald.

The 'Fantastic Beasts' book isn't really source material at all from what I remember. It's basically a recreation of an in-world textbook that was released for Comic Relief or something like that. Obviously the film is based off he author but I don't think there is any real (pre-existing) "source material" for the film.

23 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The 'Fantastic Beasts' book isn't really source material at all from what I remember. It's basically a recreation of an in-world textbook that was released for Comic Relief or something like that. Obviously the film is based off he author but I don't think there is any real (pre-existing) "source material" for the film.

The name of the movie, the name of the main character, and the basic premise were taken from the book, and I'm guessing some of the titular beasts too, which is why I count it as a source. But in any case if later movies revolve around the Dumbledore-Grindelwal conflict Fantastic Beasts etc. isn't the best name for the movie. Nitpicking.

You know, I'm totally ok with this. I've always wanted to see more of the Potterverse, see what wizarding cultures are like throughout the world, and I think Scamander offers potential to do that. I don't even need some big arch, I'd be cool with standalone movies, each detailing an adventure he went on searching for beasts, something akin to how TinTin books were.

Archived