Am I The Only One Around Here Who V.2

siyxx

No you're not. I was tempted several times, but I would still have to buy the book first 

@ Lady Blizzardborn: Now, please tell us which Stark kid is equivalent to which Spice Girl? I would really like to know.

Am I the only one around here who doesn't mind GRRM's long descriptions of food? I actually enjoy them. 

You are definitely not the only one! I thought about ASOIAF food like 80% of my ASOIAF reading time. 

AITOOAHW finds Tyrion's encounter with Penny in ADWD a bit dreadful? I did not like that storyline at all. 

Nope, I agree. The show is basically super predictable at this point; things like 

Spoiler

Jon and Dany meeting

have been theorised for years - they aren't really breaking the internet with such revelations, so D&D seem chill. It isn't like the Hodor thing.

AITOOAH who thinks some of the minor Targ names are really ridiculous? Aenys, Aelor, Aelora, Laena, Baela....I think GRRM ran out of original nice names to give them (like Daenerys, Viserys, Rhaella and stuff)

16 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

@ Lady Blizzardborn: Now, please tell us which Stark kid is equivalent to which Spice Girl? I would really like to know.

Robb is Sporty Stark

Sansa is Posh Stark

Arya is Scary Stark

Bran is Ginger Stark (cause that's the only one that fits him and in the books he has the auburn hair)

Rickon of course is Baby Stark

12 hours ago, siyxx said:

AITOOAHW finds Tyrion's encounter with Penny in ADWD a bit dreadful? I did not like that storyline at all. 

7 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

You are not alone. Though I think the dreadful relationship was part of the point.

Oh my goodness. You guys...it's a penny dreadful!

5 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

Am I ... who has even remotely visualized ASOIAF characters as muppets?

Not anymore! :D Sounds like a good subject for the Fun with Casting thread.

2 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

AITOOAH who thinks some of the minor Targ names are really ridiculous? Aenys, Aelor, Aelora, Laena, Baela....I think GRRM ran out of original nice names to give them (like Daenerys, Viserys, Rhaella and stuff)

No, you're not alone. Though Baela is redeemed by the badass awesomeness of the character!

AITOOAHW wouldn't mind if the entire Old-Ghis-wannabe contingent ended up wiped out?

5 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

Possibly. I don't really know what you're talking about.:-) Although by a weird pattern of associations, I was led via Henson to visualizing ASOIAF characters as muppets.

Am I ... who has even remotely visualized ASOIAF characters as muppets?

Hansen was a US music group comprised of 3 blonde brothers who achieved some success in the latter half of the 1990's. I only said it because it fit the same time frame as the Spice Girls.

@Lady Blizzardborn I guess I am not sure to what you are referring. The entire slavers bay fiasco? The "New Ghis" factor of the Slavers Bay plotline? If the former, then it would have likely sped up the books. If the latter, they are a non-factor in my mind. Whatever you mean, I am sure you are not alone.

Am I... who thinks LF may not be as devious and conniving as we have been led to believe?

4 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:
17 hours ago, siyxx said:

12 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

You are not alone. Though I think the dreadful relationship was part of the point.

Oh my goodness. You guys...it's a penny dreadful!

#mindblow #omigosh

12 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

Am I the only one around here who thinks if the Starks are the "Spice Girls", then the Lannisters are "Hansen"?

*whisper* Sorry to be that guy......but I think it's "Hanson"  (90s kid in da houuuuuse)

4 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

Am I... who thinks LF may not be as devious and conniving as we have been led to believe?

You might not be the only one. But please for the love of R'hllor I don't think we need another Severus Snape in literary scene to be fangirly bawling about. 

AITOOAHW has a strange obsession with the disappearance and strange sightings of Beric Dondarion on AGOT and ACOK? Man, I was so curious! 

13 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Nope, I agree. The show is basically super predictable at this point; things like 

Reveal hidden contents

Jon and Dany meeting

have been theorised for years - they aren't really breaking the internet with such revelations, so D&D seem chill. It isn't like the Hodor thing

Yeah, that's something people would know of course, but stuff like 

Spoiler

Joe Dempsie eating out with Emilia and others... I wouldn't have minded if they left that one hanging. 

Well whatever, one look at the new costumes is enough to dread season 7... and I think it's best for my peace of mind if I expect the worst in every aspect. 

No, I'm sure other people wondered about Lord Beric too/ 

am I the only one around here who doesn't get why people think the Starks count more deaths than other houses or that they suffered more than other houses or why the What do we say to the god of death/I'm not a stark jokes are still funny? Come on, at this point in the show almost all houses have a higher  death count than the Starks. And what we say to the god of death is "I have great eyebrows". 

It's true; I only recall 2 Stark deaths in the books (3 if you count Catlyn, 4 if you count Jon, who in the books isn't known to be dead yet; anyway he came back) in the books and 3 in the show. There are still a bunch at large. I guess the Stark deaths have more of an impact on readers/watchers because we've been led to empathize with them more. On the show, Ls seem to have lost everyone except C&J, Tyrells everyone except Olenna.

Am I ... who finds many of the Ironborn names too ... Valyrian-sounding? They don't quite fit in with the culture, which is more Viking-like (not necessarily much like the real Vikings). It seems Aeron should be something like Wolof, yes?

No. I actually really hate that Jon's name is Jon. The center piece of the entire story, the chosen one, the prince who was promised, the song of ice and fire, the champion of light, the boy who came back from the dead is named Jon. Half the world is called Jon. It's so ridiculous. Is it supposed to be an "anyone can cook" and Tom Riddle kind of message? It is just lame. I'm still rooting for a secret Targaryen name that Rhaegar planned for him. 

Am I the only one around here who hopes there is a secret Targaryen name for Jon and he will take it if/when he rules the world? 

Many suspect he has a secret Targ name, but personally I hope he'll keep the name Jon. And I hope he won't start thinking "I'm the blood of the dragon" every two minutes. Speaking of. . .

Am I the only one around here who wants to slap Dany whenever she says "I am only a young girl" and almost every time she says or thinks "I am the blood of the dragon" ?

I don't want to slap her, but that kind of thinking (among many other issues) is a major reason why I don't feel she's in any way suited for ruling. Worse, this attitude seems to have increased during ADWD.

And yes, I would think that Jon keeps his name the same when he takes the throne. In fact I strongly believe he'll take it as Jon Stark and not Targ.

AITOOAH who thinks it's weird how Arianne wasn't more well-educated in politics, ruling, strategy and the likes when we meet her? Doran seems like a decent father, and considered her his heir - how did he let her grow up so clueless? It felt like a contrivance for plot purposes.

(or it could more be my desire to see a woman finally having been prepared for ruling and possibly good it at it. We don't seem to have that in the series yet.)

You may not be. But since Arianne was supposed to be queen consort of Westeros, she would not have been ruling. She would need to know how to charm, keep secrets, and produce an heir. If the plan had been for her to rule Dorne, she would have gotten a way more practical education.

For the record, GRRM loves the name Jon Snow. It was one of the first names he came up with. The Northerners tend to have less fancy names in general, probably due to a greater percentage of First Men blood. He's spoken about the Old names being shorter and harder, and the Andal ones being a bit longer and more...flowery.

Also, the "I am only a young girl thing" doesn't bother me because she's clearly using what others say about her to her own advantage by turning it around on them. The repetition is annoying though. Get a new catchphrase, Dany!

AITOOAHW would like an in-universe alternative to/variations on "words are wind?"  The new has long-since worn off.

No. Randyll made Sam and then his brother attend his councils. Ned did the same with Robb. We don't hear of Doran doing something similar with Arianne, only that he did his best to keep her out of the loop. He finally decides that this might not have been the best idea when his heir is 23. (Could we consider Margaery a woman who has been prepared to rule and is good at it? Perhaps not exactly ruling, but she seems to grasp politics, to know how to conduct herself and have influence. Not bad for a 16 year old. Olenna has trained her well.)

AITOOAHW hopes to see Hot Pie, Woman and Husband again at the inn of the kneeling man?

No, HP is a likeable character and I wouldn't mind if he turned up again, although ...

But first in answer to the previous question, it doesn't really bother me, but "Words are wind" does I guess get repeated a lot. Maybe someone can come up with a witty variation.

Am I ... who thinks characters perhaps spend a bit too much time wandering around the Riverlands seeing devastation and general nastiness?          a fair amount of (literal) covering of the same ground?

Archived