US Elections - furniture shopping with disaster

all swedes are racist

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Ah, there we go.

Seems reasonable on its face. I don't tend to trust Breitbart's investigative journalism, but there's nothing that makes me think it isn't accurate. 

That article also doesn't mention Hillary Clinton doing anything whatsoever, as apparently she didn't even know about this until today.  Any accusation that is just Bill acting terribly without some Hillary complicity is never going to move the needle. This just keeps sexual assault in the headlines, which is a huge loser for Trump. 

2 minutes ago, sologdin said:

am not sure what dude thinks is salient about bringing BHO's brother or WJC's accusers?

It improves his standing with his base. That's basically it. And he thinks it's clever. In the prior debate they wanted to have the Clintons literally walk past the accusers to get to their spots - that was their drama. But the debate committee basically told them to fuck off. 

That article also doesn't mention Hillary Clinton doing anything whatsoever, as apparently she didn't even know about this until today.  Any accusation that is just Bill acting terribly without some Hillary complicity is never going to move the needle. This just keeps sexual assault in the headlines, which is a huge loser for Trump. 

Yep. The easiest way to go with this is simply say how it's great that Trump's behavior has encouraged women everywhere - no matter what - to come forward and say what is happening. 

24 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And on that note: while I don't think Clinton looked amazing debating Trump in the first debate, I am not sure there has been a more calculated, planned and thorough takedown of the other candidate at a debate. While a lot of people point to the TrumpTape being a huge deal, it was the first debate where things really took a turn. Remember, prior to that debate polling was basically tied. Afterwards it was something like a 3-4 point jump. 

That sort of thing almost never, ever happens, and especially doesn't happen because of something the other person does - it's usually either being incredibly good (like Clinton was in the Town hall in 1992) or having a personal gaffe (like Bush checking a watch or Dukakis robotically responding to the thought of his wife being murdered). 

I agree with this assessment. Trump was not good in the first debate and the sad part was that he had so many opportunities to drive home a case for not voting for Hillary. He started to go down what I thought was an effective path regarding Hillary owning a pretty large amount of the last 30 years of bad government policy but he left it and never returned to it. I could not understand how he could not just continue to harp on that issue. Hillary has basically been the government for a good part of the last three decades. Whatever topic they bring up just circle around to that single point and it is a great message. Instead he got baited and then continued to eat the bait until the Access Hollywood tapes came out. We've gotten a glimpse through the Podesta emails into how calculated the players are behind the scenes with the Clintons. It would be amazing if they could focus that kind of energy into helping the American people instead of propping up the Clintons and feathering their own nests. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

He'll try to impute knowledge to her though.  It's also part of the "you weren't good enough for Bill so you aren't good enough for the country" narrative.

I agree keeping sexual assault in the headlines seems like a losing strategy to those of us who aren't in his base, but I think it is red meat to the base.  

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

He'll try to impute knowledge to her though.  It's also part of the "you weren't good enough for Bill so you aren't good enough for the country" narrative.

Oh I agree, I expect he will at the very least imply if not outright state this.  Trump has doubled down to appeal to his base over and over again, and it continues to pull him further and further behind. 

Just now, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I agree keeping sexual assault in the headlines seems like a losing strategy to those of us who aren't in his base, but I think it is red meat to the base.  

Yeah. Of course Trump's problem (among others) is that his base < the GOP base. His second debate performance was also all about red meat and his support among registered Republicans is now down in the 75-80% range. 

There don't appear to be any more rural working class white voters he can fire up, but there are still more suburban white voters that he can lose.

41 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And on that note: while I don't think Clinton looked amazing debating Trump in the first debate, I am not sure there has been a more calculated, planned and thorough takedown of the other candidate at a debate. While a lot of people point to the TrumpTape being a huge deal, it was the first debate where things really took a turn. Remember, prior to that debate polling was basically tied. Afterwards it was something like a 3-4 point jump. 

That sort of thing almost never, ever happens, and especially doesn't happen because of something the other person does - it's usually either being incredibly good (like Clinton was in the Town hall in 1992) or having a personal gaffe (like Bush checking a watch or Dukakis robotically responding to the thought of his wife being murdered). 

Honestly I think she's been kind of average at best. She often seems to be unable to answer a question directly, and at times comes up with absolutely ludicrous sidebars. (The Lincoln movie response in the last debate). Donald mostly buries himself. I do feel that Access Hollywood tape was way more damaging than anything that came out of that debate. It's his reactions to these sorts of things that make him look so bad. The half-assed apology, the forum of Slick Willy's exes, the stalking around the debate stage, telling his rally crowds that he couldn't have sexually harassed these women because they weren't attractive enough,  etc. This things are far more damaging than anything Hillary has thrown at him. He's his own worst enemy. 

On Obama half-brother Trump may end up being too clever for it appears he is sympathetic to Hamas:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/trumps-newest-debate-guest-appears-to-support-terrorist-group-hamas-abolition-of-israel/

As on the new Bill Clinton allegation.  As stated nothing is tied to Hillary so it should not be too damming for her.  It can present a situtation where Trump could interject it in the debate tonight.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Ah, there we go.

Seems reasonable on its face. I don't tend to trust Breitbart's investigative journalism, but there's nothing that makes me think it isn't accurate. 

I had to look up "hunching" to see if it was a typo, a term for humping the back of someone's neck in particular, or a regional term for humping generally.

But nothing else stuck out to me. Seems like Bill's MO.

ETA: It's the latter, by the way, according to urban dictionary.

56 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Honestly I think she's been kind of average at best. She often seems to be unable to answer a question directly, and at times comes up with absolutely ludicrous sidebars. (The Lincoln movie response in the last debate). Donald mostly buries himself. I do feel that Access Hollywood tape was way more damaging than anything that came out of that debate. It's his reactions to these sorts of things that make him look so bad. The half-assed apology, the forum of Slick Willy's exes, the stalking around the debate stage, telling his rally crowds that he couldn't have sexually harassed these women because they weren't attractive enough,  etc. This things are far more damaging than anything Hillary has thrown at him. He's his own worst enemy. 

Pretty much, yeah.  She's just not very good at these.  

In fairness, Obama has set the bar pretty high for this kind of stuff if you're a democrat.

Trump's a classic case of a one-trick pony. Doubling down constantly worked in the primaries, so he's going to keep doing it, even as the evidence piles up that it doesn't work in the actual election. So tonight will be more 'Bill is a sexual predator but anyone accusing me of the same thing is lying', 'Hillary should be in jail', 'this debate is unfair', and plenty of 'the election is rigged'. Somewhere in there he'll get in some substantial jabs about Clinton's record but those will be lost in the tantrums.

I could be wrong, of course. But as of now Trump needs an absolutely unprecedentedly successful debate to pull things together for his campaign. Seriously, it would have to be historic.

It is an interesting point, though. I voted for Clinton in 92 and 96 - though I wasn't particularly involved in politics then and the amount of news around it wasn't nearly as big as it is now. I don't know how I'd feel about voting for him now, if he were running against GHWB. I wouldn't vote for Bush - I opposed getting into Iraq then - but being an 18 year old and hearing about cheating didn't sound nearly that bad. Hearing about sexually assaulting women though? That's pretty vile.

It still doesn't change what I see in Hillary, mind you.

Archived