the magical black gate

oumeaydayne

Hey guys, so forgive me if this has been discussed before but i was reading asos bran IV and a detail caught my attention : when bran crossed the black gate he felt a drop of water fall on him, a drop as salty as a tear

what does that mean ? is it an irrelevant detail or is the gate crying over bran ? is bran forever doomed after crossing and joining cold hands ? is there any speculations about this ? 

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2016 at 8:01 AM, oumeaydayne said:

Hey guys, so forgive me if this has been discussed before but i was reading asos bran IV and a detail caught my attention : when bran crossed the black gate he felt a drop of water fall on him, a drop as salty as a tear

what does that mean ? is it an irrelevant detail or is the gate crying over bran ? is bran forever doomed after crossing and joining cold hands ? is there any speculations about this ? 

It is not an irrelevant detail. It is foreshadowing but will not make sense until DwD.

You are very close though. You will see where Bran is at in DwD. Then it will probably make sense. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 08/02/2017 at 9:57 PM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

It is not an irrelevant detail. It is foreshadowing but will not make sense until DwD.

You are very close though. You will see where Bran is at in DwD. Then it will probably make sense. 

Hi, I've just read the three Bran chapters from ADWD. Still can't figure out the link with the Black gate tears... did I miss something ?

There are a few different theories on this.

Spoiler

I believe that Bran is looking through the wierwood black gate at himself passing through. He is crying because he knows (looking back in time) that he will never return. 

I believe George made the water salty so we know it's a tear AND to tell us the wall was made partly from ocean water.

• 1 month later...

After reading the other posts Im afraid my thoughts are too simple and perhaps Ive missed something important....

But my interpretation was that it was a tear from the Wierwood. Tears are salty. Shedding a tear is a human trait... a living trait. Like having a face. This adds credence to the belief that the Wierwoods are more than just trees... Also, its another example of how magic (dragons, greenseers, Giants, White Walkers, etc.)  is returning to Westeros. 

Archived