Nap Rooms for University Students - Good Idea?

Theda Baratheon

So, nap rooms for students just popped up on the news and I think it's a fantastic idea. 

Here's two links to two separate Universities in the UK which have implemented nap rooms.

University of East Anglia

Holly Staynor, UEA’s Welfare, Community and Diversity Officer, told us: "I have two real hopes for the project. First, that students with particular conditions such as chronic fatigue are provided with a campus that is more suited to their needs and second, that we are able to educate students around the dangers of staying up all night in the library around deadline period."

Teeside University

I think to students with poor mental health, or chronic fatigue, or even just very sleepy that particular day this is a great idea. But, rather predictably I instantly thought of all the ''lazy millennials'' rhetoric that would spring up from this and of course, when reading the comment section of articles I found quite a few of that same vein. I think this is unfair.

So, good idea? Bad idea? Encouraging laziness? Or encouraging healthy sleep amounts? What do you think? 

Currently watching news now, even news readers are sounding very condescending when discussing it but I think it's fantastic. 

There's various students discussing how busy they are, juggling jobs, university, societies and clubs and how it's helping them. 

^People nap on the sofas at work too (it's a School) in communal areas. I bet people nap in the comfy arm chairs in the library too.

I don't know though - what's the difference between students and employees? Should all employees be able to nap during their working hours too?

2 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

When I was in college there were lots of people who had four our breaks in their schedule and would nap in one of the lounges on campus. None were officially designated "nap rooms" but they served a purpose . 

Likewise, in good weather I brought a blanket and slept out on the grass on a book.  In bad weather I napped in the library at a table.  Some days you just need a nap.  If you're up all night making a deadline and have an hour break, it can make a big difference.

4 minutes ago, Isis said:

^People nap on the sofas at work too (it's a School) in communal areas. I bet people nap in the comfy arm chairs in the library too.

I don't know though - what's the difference between students and employees? Should all employees be able to nap during their working hours too?

I really don't know if you can compare the two. A lot of students are also juggling jobs as well as studying and have lots of deadlines outside of work. I'm not saying that doesn't happen with some jobs and I think the jobs where there ARE lots of deadlines outside of work to get done should also have nap rooms or just somewhere to proper wind down and rest, but for jobs where you go, do your 8 hours and leave, I don't think that can be compared to students who might be juggling a job or two and have 3 essays to do in a week. 

4 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

Likewise, in good weather I brought a blanket and slept out on the grass on a book.  In bad weather I napped in the library at a table.  Some days you just need a nap.  If you're up all night making a deadline and have an hour break, it can make a big difference.

Exactly, I used to nap in the Library and make sure I was wearing my biggest, oversized comfiest jumper, if there was a nap room might have actually turned up to more lectures, my attendance was disgustingly bad at times, but with working retail alongside my studies I was just exhausted all the time. 

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I really don't know if you can compare the two. A lot of students are also juggling jobs as well as studying and have lots of deadlines outside of work. I'm not saying that doesn't happen with some jobs and I think the jobs where there ARE lots of deadlines outside of work to get done should also have nap rooms or just somewhere to proper wind down and rest, but for jobs where you go, do your 8 hours and leave, I don't think that can be compared to students who might be juggling a job or two and have 3 essays to do in a week.

Some employees are also juggling study, eg I spent seven years doing my BSc and MSc part time while working 40 hrs a week. But I didn't have time to nap as I had way too much to do. Many people have more than one responsibility, and some people do more than one job (for whatever reason). I'm just asking why would it just be students who need to nap?

What I think would be great would be to have a private space you could go even for 15-20 minutes (ie during a break) in order to get the hell away from everybody. When I don't feel great mentally/physically/both I find dealing with people (even ones I like) draining. It would be nice to have little pods where you could go for a reprieve. Maybe people could even use them to meditate. 

Well, I'm only talking about student nap rooms because it just popped up on my local news but I have absolutely no problem with work places wanting to implement something similar. Healthier people (those that eat and sleep well) are conductive to a better society of happier people as a whole so I don't really care what has happened in the past, in the future going forward, if nap rooms where a widespread thing to help people stay happier and healthier with their busy lives then I don't see a problem. 

Civilisation evolves in strange ways, but if more and more people are working more than one job and have lots of commitments going on that they need to juggle then I don't see a problem with spaces for people to go to rest, wind down, nap. 

14 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I never really worked hard enough to be that tired where I had to, many people did though and it always seemed to help them. I didn't go to a school where people really hung out on the grass. Being on the grass might not have been allowed.  

Yes, this is an excellent idea. The average university student (at least in the USA) is not getting enough sleep, and encouraging them to do so would improve their physical and mental health. 

5 minutes ago, sologdin said:

am having suspicions about what the most common usage of 'nap' rooms will be.

Yeah.  My girlfriend and I would have been REALLY happy about having access to something like this when I was in college.

And probably a lot of users of the stacks in the library would have appreciated us having access to this as well.

9 minutes ago, Isis said:

What I think would be great would be to have a private space you could go even for 15-20 minutes (ie during a break) in order to get the hell away from everybody. When I don't feel great mentally/physically/both I find dealing with people (even ones I like) draining. It would be nice to have little pods where you could go for a reprieve. Maybe people could even use them to meditate. 

This is controversial? Huh? We have an actual designated nap room, and its been there for years, and a few more spaces in quiet corners of libraries that have bean bags and comfy chairs, not to mention acres of shady grass frequently dotted by sleepers. And I don't know that the 'lazy millennials' rhetoric in a thing here.

It just seems like common sense and a basic amenity, mostly re Isis' point above. A university campus is usually a loud, crowded, big place with a lot going on where you might be spending 10 or 12 hour days, with oddly shaped gaps, cancelled classes, juggling being there with a lot of other things, particularly as a student but also as an employee. One of those things, at some point, will likely enough be sleep for a lot of people. Having a space designated silent where you can just be comfortable for a while - to sleep or just let your brain rest a bit - why the hell not? 

18 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yes, this is an excellent idea. The average university student (at least in the USA) is not getting enough sleep, and encouraging them to do so would improve their physical and mental health. 

Definitely. :) More sleep, healthier sleep, healthier people. 

15 minutes ago, sologdin said:

am having suspicions about what the most common usage of 'nap' rooms will be.

9 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Yeah.  My girlfriend and I would have been REALLY happy about having access to something like this when I was in college.

And probably a lot of users of the stacks in the library would have appreciated us having access to this as well.

Might be a joke, but like...that is kind of absolutely disgusting and would be totally disregarding the other people in the room. Totally disrespectful. 

22 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I never really worked hard enough to be that tired where I had to, many people did though and it always seemed to help them. I didn't go to a school where people really hung out on the grass. Being on the grass might not have been allowed.  

I work at a college and will nap at my desk in the afternoons if I'm tired.  This will happen usually when I'm about to get sick.  (WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS PEOPLE!!!)   Even 20 minutes leaves me feeling much better.  I have late classes to teach and sometimes I just run out of steam in the afternoon.  It's not like the work I have to do won't wait and it's not like I could get away with shirking it.  Students LOVE to complain when grading takes too long to get turned around.

17 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Definitely. :) More sleep, healthier sleep, healthier people. 

Might be a joke, but like...that is kind of absolutely disgusting and would be totally disregarding the other people in the room. Totally disrespectful. 

College students being self centered and disrespectful?  Perish the thought.....

When I was still a student, classes were never so far from my dorm that I couldn't just go back there if I needed to sleep. And the lounges, libraries, and large lectures halls are always available as well for sleeping needs.

On the other hand, as far as more amorous activities go, I'd rather there was a place where I knew it was definitely happening so I wouldn't need to worry about what's happened previously in the library chair/desk/cubicle study space (whatever those things are called) that I was now using.

Archived