Nap Rooms for University Students - Good Idea?

Theda Baratheon

I would like to see the reaction of the british press to campuses instituting designated sex pods. 

That was my other points, that most university students today are not necessarily 18-22 year olds living on campus and maybe doing a part time job (also on campus) and that's it. Hallowed halls, days of study, blah blah. 

We have "comfort" rooms at work for everything from nursing moms, to migraine sufferers to people who need 10 minute power naps (me before my sleep apnea was diagnosed)

But they are private, one person rooms with locks.

The idea of sleeping in public kind of creeps me out a bit.  I also worry about the safety of it from theft and worse.

51 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

We have "comfort" rooms at work for everything from nursing moms, to migraine sufferers to people who need 10 minute power naps (me before my sleep apnea was diagnosed)

But they are private, one person rooms with locks.

The idea of sleeping in public kind of creeps me out a bit.  I also worry about the safety of it from theft and worse.

I can see why people would feel this way, definitely. But with CCTV cameras outside the room and a strict schedule on who is booked in it should be okay. I'm terrible though  I always fall asleep on the bus and train and other public places lmao 

31 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I can see why people would feel this way, definitely. But with CCTV cameras outside the room and a strict schedule on who is booked in it should be okay. I'm terrible though  I always fall asleep on the bus and train and other public places lmao 

You have to book a specific time? That would defeat the entire purpose for me. I definitely didn't schedule my naps in college.

Well except for right after an exam or a paper was due.

18 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

You have to book a specific time? That would defeat the entire purpose for me. I definitely didn't schedule my naps in college.

Well except for right after an exam or a paper was due.

yeah you've got to book a time, that's probably the biggest factor in terms of keeping it safe and purely a nap zone but also the biggest in deterring people from actually napping in terms of not being able to know exactly when theyre going to need one ha

The wet dream of any student. We always joked to the Student's Council that we should have a Nap Commission, with hammocks. As a student I've slept in the hallways, empty classrooms, cafeteria, during class... :leaving:

I remember once I had my only class cancelled, took a nap at a couch in the hallroom, and then left. One of the most satisfaying naps of my life.

2 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

You learn to position yourself wrapping your stuff in order that at the minimal touch or jerk you react. Also, you develop a fifth sense to avoid missing your stop if you're travelling in a bus/train :P

the amount of times i fell asleep during lectures...not because they were boring or anything, just because the temperature in the room was the Perfect Warmth for Sleep. i still feel guilty about doing that in some of the lectures i actually bothered to turn up to in the first place...i really was a terrible student...why am i doing a masters :lol: 

53 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

the amount of times i fell asleep during lectures...not because they were boring or anything, just because the temperature in the room was the Perfect Warmth for Sleep. i still feel guilty about doing that in some of the lectures i actually bothered to turn up to in the first place...i really was a terrible student...why am i doing a masters :lol: 

Oh yeah I remember that. Comfortable chairs, low lighting for the projector screen, heating turned up, me tucked away in some corner at the back of the hall. Out like a light every time, even if I wasn't tired.

They ought to create these nap rooms like korean jimjilbangs.  These are basically bathhouses.  They have baths, saunas, and nap rooms.  You nap on the floor.  In a lot of these places, they'll offer mats for a bit of padding if you need it, and they might also have chairs, chaises or other loungers available.  If they don't want the liability of the baths and saunas, they could just do the nap room.  Less worry about scheduling a nap as you can fit a lot into one space. 

9 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Oh yeah I remember that. Comfortable chairs, low lighting for the projector screen, heating turned up, me tucked away in some corner at the back of the hall. Out like a light every time, even if I wasn't tired.

Yep. I always fall asleep on the bus when it's sunny and warm and I'm set by the window. It's so quick, can't help it lmao 

7 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

They ought to create these nap rooms like korean jimjilbangs.  These are basically bathhouses.  They have baths, saunas, and nap rooms.  You nap on the floor.  In a lot of these places, they'll offer mats for a bit of padding if you need it, and they might also have chairs, chaises or other loungers available.  If they don't want the liability of the baths and saunas, they could just do the nap room.  Less worry about scheduling a nap as you can fit a lot into one space. 

Saunas and nap area in same room????

We had one (that is, one - one bed) in one of the places I studied. Don't know if it was used much. 

I happened to use it, but that was when I had worked the night shift at a hotel during the weekend. I would then go to said college, sleep for four hours before lectures/reading. A lot better than going home, which would take much longer.

Never used it otherwise.

A] - Wait, LAZY Millenials is a thing? lazy students yes, but not lazy millenials; and even lazy students stereotype is surely more-or-less dead by now anyway?

B] - Nap areas at Uni? great idea; have kipped in the refectory, library, lectures (still feel guily about those, 15 years later!), unused study rooms, and lawns during my time at uni; sometimes it's just what you need.

C] - Booked your nap in advance? How on earth is that supposed to work - my naps just happened, I don't know how anyone could even go about planning when they're likely to be so exhausted they just can't stay awake any longer.

I don't know if I'm just coming Into contact with a lot of negative people but I've seen LOADS of deal about lazy millenials for all sorts of things..."lazy coddled millenials" "special snowflake millenials" ect. 

Yeah the booking is a bit of a problem but with no moderation of the room people might be in there for hours and taking a space from someone else

Oh, every generation has its stereotypes*; I just hadn't come across "lazy" as one for the millenials

*And where those stereotypes hold any water (generally very little), it's usually the "fault" of the parents' generation - so "coddled" would be the fault of those who coddled them throught childhood; "cynical" would be the fault of of those who subjected them to constant systemic failures etc etc

Regardless of stereotypes, invoking millennials here is wrong. The concept of generations is pretty vague (except baby boomers, which is the only one specifically tracked by the US census and is anyone born between 1946 and 1964), but its generally agreed that the millennial generation started sometime in the early 1980s overlapping with the end of Generation X (Generation Y is no longer considered a thing). Its not agreed exactly when the millennial generation ended, but it was sometime around the year 2000. Most millennials finished college a long time ago. The youngest ones are still in college now, but most standard-age college students (so, not adults going back) at this point are the older members of the next generation; which doesn't have a catchy name yet.

Point being, figure out some new excuses for whatever's going on at college campuses, its primarily not millennials' fault anymore. I'm a millennial and I finished college almost 10 years ago.

17 hours ago, Datepalm said:

This is controversial? Huh? We have an actual designated nap room, and its been there for years, and a few more spaces in quiet corners of libraries that have bean bags and comfy chairs, not to mention acres of shady grass frequently dotted by sleepers. And I don't know that the 'lazy millennials' rhetoric in a thing here.

It just seems like common sense and a basic amenity, mostly re Isis' point above. A university campus is usually a loud, crowded, big place with a lot going on where you might be spending 10 or 12 hour days, with oddly shaped gaps, cancelled classes, juggling being there with a lot of other things, particularly as a student but also as an employee. One of those things, at some point, will likely enough be sleep for a lot of people. Having a space designated silent where you can just be comfortable for a while - to sleep or just let your brain rest a bit - why the hell not? 

I don't know that it is controversial. I just know that it is not happening routinely for anyone I know in the UK. I'm in a different situation as I am staff at a HE institute rather than a student. I'm willing to bet that students welfare is treated as more important than staff welfare. It would be a whole different thread to go into how much lip service they (my employers) pay to portray themselves as being really sympathetic to the 'wellbeing' of staff (but I and many others know that this is not fed down to all/any staff in practice). For instance, if I said, 'I am really struggling to be here today, can I go and take some personal time', I honestly do not know what my manager would say to me. They would probably be ok I took a 15 minute walk outside (ie they would prefer this to me needing to leave for the day) but it would end up being 'kind of a big deal' because we seemingly expect for nobody to ever have any non-physical health issues which prevent them from doing their job properly. This is despite having had our newest member of staff signed off with depression for the past six weeks and having had another colleague have a breakdown which they were hospitalised for a few years back. There is so much negative attention awarded to anyone who says they are not completely ok. Typing this out has made me realise how totally shit this is for everyone. :( Anyway, complete threadjack there, sorry everyone.

As others have noted - how would the use of such spaces be 'policed'? E.g. it would totally defeat the object for me if the nap/quiet space had other people in it. Yet, how would you stop someone from going into a private space and staying there all day long? Or sleeping there? Or treating it like a personal study room?

Archived