Theon's marriage options (pre AGOT)

Oakhearts head

12 hours ago, Darksnider05 said:

Context nice try though, yep I like Eddards plan lets cut his head off if his father doesn't comply.  The threat in watching him is pretty implied. 

But that won´t get him Balons fleet! Did you just ignore what I wrote before? If Ned tries to do a Frey and blackmail Balon into submission, most likely he will be met by the same Blackfish-response the Freys were, namely "kill him then".

The only (and I mean only) way for Ned to see that fleet is to enter negotiations with the Ironborn and make some promises. Theons return, plunder, maybe land - whatever. But if Ned simply say "You send your fleet or Theon dies" will result in a dead Theon every single time and no fleet. Why? Because, again, the value of a person is based on its ongoing relation to me. If I don´t recieve the person back that person will be as good as dead. I will accept that the person is no longer part of my life and move on. Hell, in this case it is not even a guarantee that Theon is returned to the islands if Balon complies.  

So you might like this a lot, but the problem is that it doesn´t work, unless you are as soft as the Mallisters (which the ironborns are not). Ned would have never gotten that fleet from those terms. And at some point you actually need to sit down and hammer out terms, something you can´t do if you refuse to spend political capital on it. 

15 minutes ago, Protagoras said:

But that won´t get him Balons fleet! Did you just ignore what I wrote before? If Ned tries to do a Frey and blackmail Balon into submission, most likely he will be met by the same Blackfish-response the Freys were, namely "kill him then".

The only (and I mean only) way for Ned to see that fleet is to enter negotiations with the Ironborn and make some promises. Theons return, plunder, maybe land - whatever. But if Ned simply say "You send your fleet or Theon dies" will result in a dead Theon every single time and no fleet. Why? Because, again, the value of a person is based on its ongoing relation to me. If I don´t recieve the person back that person will be as good as dead. I will accept that the person is no longer part of my life and move on. Hell, in this case it is not even a guarantee that Theon is returned to the islands if Balon complies.  

So you might like this a lot, but the problem is that it doesn´t work, unless you are as soft as the Mallisters (which the ironborns are not). Ned would have never gotten that fleet from those terms. And at some point you actually need to sit down and hammer out terms, something you can´t do if you refuse to spend political capital on it. 

Balon doesn't think like that you can't offer him anything remember he believes in the Iron Price to the point of stupidity. 

On 21.10.2016 at 10:28 AM, devilish said:

I doubt Eddard planned anything of the sort. 

a- He's not the kind to marry his children like sheep.

Hm? He's a medieval noble, of course he the kind to marry his kids off like sheep. 

1. He told Arya what she had to look forward in life was marrying a good husband and being mother of his kids.

2, He agreed to marry Sansa off to Joff and even told her he would find a man for her after he changed his mind (keep in mind she didn't want to marry someone other than Joffry).

I agree that Theon wasn't probably who Ned had in mind as a husband though.

14 minutes ago, Darksnider05 said:

Balon doesn't think like that you can't offer him anything remember he believes in the Iron Price to the point of stupidity. 

Sigh...you really don´t want to get this do you? And you think Balon believes in something to the point of stupidity...its almost funny.

I am done here. I am starting to getting afraid of an intellectual osmosis, so its better if I leave. 

24 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Hm? He's a medieval noble, of course he the kind to marry his kids off like sheep. 

1. He told Arya what she had to look forward in life was marrying a good husband and being mother of his kids.

2, He agreed to marry Sansa off to Joff and even told her he would find a man for her after he changed his mind (keep in mind she didn't want to marry someone other than Joffry).

I agree that Theon wasn't probably who Ned had in mind as a husband though.

1- Not every medieval noble was an Ahole either. Sure he'll marry her to another nobleman, that's good for the family and herself (women with no inheritance were nothing even if they came from a noble family) but he'll choose someone whose rich, kind and can provide her with a decent life. Not someone who had loads to prove to his people and were hostile to the wolves

2- He assumed Joffrey was like his father (Ned had a soft spot for Robert). Also you cant say no to a king 

1 hour ago, devilish said:

1- Not every medieval noble was an Ahole either. Sure he'll marry her to another nobleman, that's good for the family and herself (women with no inheritance were nothing even if they came from a noble family) but he'll choose someone whose rich, kind and can provide her with a decent life. Not someone who had loads to prove to his people and were hostile to the wolves

Well, not even Tywin would do thatm and he isn't exactly known for not being an asshole. That's just common sense.

On 27/10/2016 at 4:44 PM, John Doe said:

Well, not even Tywin would do thatm and he isn't exactly known for not being an asshole. That's just common sense.

I wont be that certain about Tywin. He saw his children as cattle, to be married off for the good of the family. If that wasn't the case then he would have shown some interest in his children and grandchildren. It turned up that the twins were screwing one another and Joffrey's lack of manners brought Westeros into a war

Archived