The Young Pope (Sky/HBO/Canal Plus)

AncalagonTheBlack

There was a piece about it in the Guardian a couple of days ago or so.  A lot of commentators thought the praise lavished upon it was ridiculous.  I, of course, having not seen a single scene, have no idea at all!  :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

I am here in the states and I just watched the first episode last night on HBO Now. I got rid of cable a while back and have just the stand alone HBO service, so I am a little behind on a few things. Oh well.

I think in the states there is only one episode out so far??? As of January 15 that is.

In general, holy hells, episode 1 was so bizarre and so good, and funny, and several what da'fuq moments. I cannot wait for the next ones coming up.

I guess im in the minority on this one. Im in the U.S. so ive only saw the first episode, but i'm hoping it gets a little better as it goes on. It just wasnt that intrigueing or humorous for me but im willing to watch a little farther yet. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I was sold from that first scene. Pope crawling out from underneath a mountain of babies? Yes please! I don't know what it means, but I'm totally into it. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous, too.

1 hour ago, matt b said:

I was sold from that first scene. Pope crawling out from underneath a mountain of babies? Yes please! I don't know what it means, but I'm totally into it. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous, too.

It is a beautiful show. A bit strange and it doesn't always work but it's always beautiful.

15 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I just finished episode 2 and it reminds me of House of Cards but with the Pope. It's absolutely amazing. 

terrific analogy

.... I can't imagine that hardcore Catholics will be happy about this show... Here is catholic league president and spectacular asshole Bill Donohue's take:  http://www.catholicleague.org/meet-hbos-the-young-pope/

3 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

terrific analogy

.... I can't imagine that hardcore Catholics will be happy about this show... Here is catholic league president and spectacular asshole Bill Donohue's take:  http://www.catholicleague.org/meet-hbos-the-young-pope/

I'm a practicing Catholic and while some of it bothers me I'm realistic. This stuff has been going on behind the scenes for centuries.  

18 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

terrific analogy

Man, has he even been to Europe lately? :o  it takes a spectacularly uninformed sort of person to write an opinion piece like this :o 

He boasts that abortion is not a divisive issue in Europe. He’s right. There is also little debate there anymore about putting to death the depressed, the handicapped, the sick, and the elderly, increasingly without their consent.

^This guy is the type of asshole that has made Catholicism in general unpopular. Tar and feather him I say!

I think this series will be like the "Spotlight" movie was for me.  For months I couldnt get into it, but then when I was a certain frame of mind/mood I was able to view it and was very impressed.

I'm going to use that strategy with this series as well.  When i'm in a different mood/mindset, I may be more into it. Currently, i'm having trouble appreciating it. Have tried to watch 2 episodes and the humor, nor drama, has moved the dial much for me. But my hunch is its me personally missing things that are going over my head.

My impression so far, has been Jude Law poorly channeling the guy who plays the "House MD".  But I'll give this another try down the line and may even find it very entertaining at a later date??

Also..and I realize this doesn't apply to those who've seen the whole series already...but what exactly are the story lines? There's hints of the Pope with a past and a plan to use his power almost for revenge. There's hints that his mentor is out to take the new Pope down for grabbing what he believes was his place. There is the hints of the power plays by the Secretary of State (I think that's his place, I've never been able to track all of the positions within the Vatican).  What exactly is Sister Mary's role? And she's had two men become Cardinals pit of her orphanage...?

Archived